Vacancy Notice Number:
Administrative and Finance Assistant
6 Months Special Short Term Contract (G4) –with possible extension
Deadline of Applications:
19 December 2019
Number of People to be hired
Internal and External Candidates
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Under the overall guidance of the Resource Management Officer, overall supervision of the National Finance Officer, and the direct supervision of the Senior Finance Assistant in Gaziantep, the incumbent will be responsible in providing finance and administration support services in the sub-office.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Prepare Bank Order / Transfer for payments to be executed by bank transfer, ensuring correctness of banking details and matching the amount with Prism accounting system, in close coordination with the Treasury Assistant.
- Review staff liquidation of advances taken for operational purposes, ensuring completeness of supporting documents and preparing accounting entries.
- Receive documents, keeping a log of payment vouchers received.
- Perform preliminary checks on Requests for Payments for completeness and propriety of supporting documents.
- Maintain an electronic filing / archiving system of Requests for Payment (RfPs), Non-Cash Vouchers, and Travel Expense Claims processed on a timely basis; properly label files and arrange in a systematic order for ease of retrieval.
- Act as focal person for courier services between and among IOM offices, ensuring that documents are securely transmitted, tracking via Daily Post Record, and received documents are properly delivered.
- Keep receiving offices informed of the documents sent through courier on a daily basis.
- Provide support to the Resource Management Unit (RMU) in day-to-day operations, during official visits from Headquarters or other missions and from external parties, and during audits or evaluation related to the projects.
- Review Travel Authorizations (TAs) submitted to RMU for completeness of information and ensuring pre-departure supporting documents are in place and logging the TA on the TA
- Register and verify the project code indicated on the TAs for appropriateness and budget availability.
- Review submitted Travel Expense Claims (TECs) for completeness of supporting documents and calculate amount due to the staff members in accordance with relevant IOM travel policies and office instructions, particularly ensuring correct Daily Subsistence Allowance (DSA) rates and exchange rates are applied.
- Resolve TEC complexities by referring to policies and/or seeking policy guidance from CAS-Travel Claims.
- Encode in PRISM accounting system duly approved Travel Expense Claims, ensuring that the correct project codes are used.
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned.
- University degree in Business Administration, Management, Logistics, or a related field from an accredited academic institution, with two years of relevant professional experience; or
- High school diploma from an accredited academic institution, with four years of relevant professional experience.
- Experience in accounting, finance, banking and treasury;
- Experience in providing program and administrative support;
- Experience in working with specialized international agencies (UN Agencies, International Organizations, and international NGO’s) and in complex operations, including conflict and post-conflict situations an advantage.
- Fluency in English and Turkish is required.
- Knowledge of Arabic is an advantage.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity:
Shows respect and sensitivity towards gender, culture, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, political conviction and other differences.
• Encourages the inclusion of all team members and stakeholders while demonstrating the ability to work constructively with people with different backgrounds and orientations.
• Promotes the benefits of diversity; values diverse points of view and demonstrate this in daily work and decision making.
• Challenges prejudice, biases and intolerance in the workplace.
- Integrity and transparency:
Upholds and promotes the Standards of Conduct and Unified Staff Regulations and Rules.
• Delivers on commitments; manages the organization’s resources reliably and sustainably.
• Embraces and encourages transparency, balancing this with the need for discretion and confidentiality as appropriate.
• Maintains impartiality and takes prompt action in cases of unprofessional or unethical behaviour.
• Does not abuse one’s position and acts without consideration of personal gain. Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns.
Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter and willingness to improve knowledge and skills.
• Seeks to raise professional standards in self and others through daily work and activities.
• Adapts quickly to change and is decisive and versatile in face of uncertainty.
• Shows self-control and persistence when faced with difficult problems and remains calm in stressful situations.
• Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 1
- Teamwork: Establishes strong relationships with colleagues and partners; relates well to people at all levels.
• Is fully aware of the team purpose, respects and understands individual and collective responsibilities.
• Willingly puts in extra effort without being asked and adopts a "hands-on" approach whenever necessary to achieve team objectives.
• Coordinates own work with that of the team to meet agreed priorities and deadlines.
- Delivering Results:
•Produces quality results and provides quality services to clients.
• Meets goals and timelines for delivery of products or services.
• Manages time and resources efficiently, monitoring progress and making adjustments as necessary.
• Shows understanding of own role and responsibilities in relation to expected results.
- Managing and sharing knowledge:
•Keeps abreast of new developments in own field of competence and creates opportunities for knowledge management initiatives.
• Shares knowledge and learning willingly, and proactively seeks to learn from the experiences of others.
• Puts new learning into practice and draws on diverse sources of ideas and inspiration.
• Contributes to the identification of improvements to work processes and assists in implementing them.
•Accepts personal responsibility for quality and timeliness of work.
• Takes ownership of all responsibilities within own role and honours commitments to others and to the Organization.
• Operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules.
• Accepts and gives constructive criticism; acknowledges and corrects mistakes and apply lessons learned for improvement.
•Presents information using language and sequence of ideas that is easy for recipients to understand.
• Adapts communication to the recipient’s needs, asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication.
• Encourages others to share their views, using active listening to demonstrate openness and to build understanding of different perspectives.
• Listens carefully and genuinely to the views and positions of others; acts on received information.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
Please be advised that this is a local position and as such only applications from candidates with a valid residence / working permit residing in Turkey will be considered.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates are requested to submit their application including the most recent CV with a cover letter in English with contact details (name, position, phone and e-mail details) of three references by indicating name of the position applied with its VN number in the subject line of the e-mail or to IOM Birlik Mahallesi Sehit Kurbani Akboga Sok. No:24 06610, Çankaya, Ankara Turkey by the end of 19 December 2019.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
With 165 member states, a further 8 states holding observer status and offices in over 100 countries, IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM works to help ensure the orderly and humane management of migration, to promote international cooperation on migration issues, to assist in the search for practical solutions to migration problems and to provide humanitarian assistance to migrants in need, including refugees and internally displaced people.
The IOM Constitution recognizes the link between migration and economic, social and cultural development, as well as to the right of freedom of movement.