Post Title: Agricultural Expert
Location: Gaziantep, Turkey
Duration: 12 months (with 2 months of probation)
Benefits: Competitive package
Closing Date: 21.09.2020
Welthungerhilfe (WHH) is a private, non-profit-making, politically independent and non-denominational relief organization, which supports people living in deprivation and poverty, irrespective of the color of their skin, their religious beliefs or their worldview.
WHH receives funds from its donors for its projects. Whenever necessary funds are provided the duration of the announced post may be extended, if enough fund cannot be found, the activities will stop completely or partially before the envisaged date and the employment contract shall be terminated.
Brief about the project:
The overall objective of the project is to strengthen the resilience of the targeted households, (host community and SuTP) with prior experience in the open land agricultural sector and/or with experience in the field of food-processing and Mushroom production. The project will be creating income-generating opportunities through open land agriculture and Agro-Processing activities, building their capacity via technical courses as well as promoting social cohesion between and Syrian refugees and host communities in Turkey. Additionally, the project will focus on women empowerment and cooperatives to generate income and create a linkage between the host community and refugee communities.
General Position Summary:
The Agriculture Expert will have supervision, coordination, assessment, design, and implementation responsibility for the agriculture component of the project, including beneficiary training modules. The Agriculture Expert will ensure that all defined works components are carried out according to plan, determining deadlines, and within approved costs.
Description of Duties:
- As part of the project team, the agricultural expert will be responsible for fulfilling the following tasks and responsibilities:
Design, develop, and take on responsibility for the management, supervision, monitoring, and documentation of the agriculture activities component.
- Developing a detailed activity plan in line with project objectives, ensuring that this plan is implemented, and any expected delays and/or modifications are communicated and raised in a timely manner to the Head of Project.
- Sensitize key stakeholders - Government and I/NGOs - working in target districts, and, communities about the project concept, benefits, targeting criteria, implementation strategies and modalities, monitoring, and other such aspects.
- Refine the aims and outcomes of the overall agriculture project component including but not limited to: the selection of tools, seeds, beneficiaries training.
- Oversee day-to-day field-based activities, including coordinating with field staff, and documenting all related agriculture activities.
- Support analysis of input availability in the project area and contracting of either local or international input providers for seeds and tools.
- Developing training manual and identify the trainers for agriculture-related training including, land preparation & soil fertility, planting, integrated pest, and disease management, water management and nutrition-sensitive harvesting and post-harvest practices.
- Arrange training sessions for selected households before delivery of seeds and inputs.
- Work closely with the Logistics department to ensure the on-time delivery of quality seeds and tools to selected households.
- Responsible for regular follow up session to the beneficiaries for on-spot guidance and disease control methods and supervise the awareness sessions for all beneficiaries.
- Participate in the planning, budgeting, and monitoring and evaluation of the agricultural component of the program.
- Ensure that training(s) and social cohesion activities are implemented correctly as scheduled
- Conduct and track a routine, market survey in the targeted areas to better define marketing strategies of vegetables and fruits in the targeted areas. Document and file surveys for easy access.
- Coordinate with the M&E staff as necessary to identify the project`s activities quality issues.
- Submit weekly, monthly, and comprehensive quarterly reports on the implementation of planned agricultural activities to the project manager.
- Other duties as assigned by the supervisor.
In addition to the above, the Agricultural Expert might be asked to carry out other duties requested by the Head of Project, Senior Project Officer, or other colleagues as needed.
- Education: Bachelor's or Master’s Degree in Agricultural Sciences or relevant education degree.
- Working experience:
- Minimum 4 years of direct field experience in implementing vegetable production interventions.
- Working experience in a non-profit organization related agriculture project is highly preferable
- Experience in conservation agriculture, value chain promotion, good agricultural practices, lead farmer methodologies
- Responsible for identifying different varieties of agriculture crops, knowledge about adaptation, and genotype characteristics.
- Must be able to work independently once in the field and show initiative;
- Training skills are a strong asset.
- Ability to translate technical expertise into simple messages that can be communicated to medium- and small-size landowners and small farmers.
- Farming experience and/or practical application of farming techniques.
- Demonstrated experience of training communities and households in agronomic production aspects, including design and development of training/teaching aids suitable to local culture and contexts.
- Able to manage a high workload and meet tight deadlines
- Good interpersonal skills, commitment, and motivation
- Prepare weekly work plans and organize his/her schedule in order to prioritize and complete tasks in an appropriate and timely manner.
- Flexibility and ability to multi-task under pressure and be solution-oriented
- Knowledge and understanding of core humanitarian standards
- Experience in conducting interviews/assessments
- Good Computer Skills and knowledge of common computer programs, particularly MS Office
- Personality requirements: Ability to integrate in a transcultural team, hardworking, good communication skills, ability to motivate and develop skills of others, attentive to detail, co-operative, good humor, able to work independently and with remote supervision. Ability to adjust to the mentalities of the duty station. A high degree of self-discipline and diplomatic competence.
- Language Skills: Fluency in Turkish & English, Arabic is an asset.
The applicants should submit a letter of motivation and CV in English to gelbasla.com by 21.09.2020 latest. CV should include information about education, qualifications, professional experience and professional references.
A cover letter must include salary expectations.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. Welthungerhilfe reserves the right to fill in the position before the deadline due to urgency.
Please read the privacy notice.
WHH TURKEY JOB CANDIDATE PRIVACY NOTICE
This Privacy Notice was drafted by Deutsche Welthungerhilfe e.V. Turkey Representation Office (“WHH Turkey”) as data controller in accordance with Article 10 of the Turkish Law No 6698 on the Protection of Personal Data (“Law”) and the Communiqué on the Principles and Procedures in Conforming with the Obligation to Inform.
On the legal bases referred to in Article 5, “the processing activity is necessary for establishment, use or protection of a right” and “the processing is necessary for the conclusion or fulfilment of a contract”, WHH Turkey shall process your name-surname, e-mail address, mobile phone no, references and CV/résumé personal data for carrying out selection and placement processes for job candidates, and transfer them to third party suppliers through your applications to published WHH Turkey job ads via employment agencies or sending your CV/résumé to WHH Turkey directly by wholly or partly automatic means. Additionally, WHH Turkey is going to get in touch with your references assuming that all obligatory information is given, and consents are obtained by your side about sharing their personal data with WHH Turkey.
You may submit your requests to WHH Turkey under Article 11 of the Law concerning the rights of the data subject in accordance with the Communiqué on the Procedures and Principles of Application to a Data Controller.