Reporting to the Sr DAC and dotted line to Country Compliance Manager based in Amman and being a key member of the organization infrastructure, the Area Compliance Manager will be responsible for ensuring all functions of ACTED Turkey/NW Syria including its partners are fully compliant with ACTED and donor policies and procedures through regular audits and reviews. In particular, these audits and reviews will assess the system of internal controls are adequate and effective and identify improvements across all departments.
Internal Audit Management:
Implement the approved national internal audit plan: conduct and supervise internal audit missions through a risk management approach
- Audit Plan: Assist to Country Compliance and Transparency Manager on development of risk based approach annual plan
- Conduct Turkey/NWS Internal Audit Missions: Plan, organize and conduct Turkey/NWS/Area audit missions according to the Turkey/NWS audit plan and the ACTED internal audit methodology;
- Contribute in managing implementing partners’ relationship on compliance and audit aspects such as due diligences, mitigation plan follow-up;
- Suggest measures for mitigating such risks to the Area Coordination(Sr. AC and DAC), discuss the main findings and recommendations with the Area Coordination during the mission, draft an action plan (AUD-04B) to be discussed with the Area Coordination during the debriefing session.
- Audit report: Share the audit reports (AUD-04A) after regional and/or HQ approval.
- Ensure the recommendation follow-up and actively participate in their implementation.
Control the implementation of the ACTED standard guidelines and FLAT System at the area and partner’s levels.
- Manage the monthly flow of documentation from the sub area to area office;
Review documentation compliance level on a random basis;
- Supervise the Compliance Team in compiling, filing and checking all projects related financial, logistics, administrative, HR and programme information (including documentation from the areas and the partners) in the designated project Compliance FLATS folder on a monthly basis (FLA-03);
- Identify compliance issues by filing the compliance checklists (FLA-02);
- Link with the other departments, share the compliance issues identified and the action plan to mitigate the risks. Ensure the follow-up of the action plan (AUD-04B).
- Issue and/or review the Monthly Compliance Report (FLA-04) and the Audit TITANIC drafted by Compliance Officer, obtain Country Director review and approval and send it to HQ, Regional and Capital audit teams.
- Control the compliance with country rules and regulations.
- Support upon request the Area Coordination and/or the HQ Audit Director in litigation cases (staff, suppliers, etc.) follow-up;
- National and local legislation follow-up: in link with the Country/Area Finance Manager and the Country Director/Senior Area Coordinator, make sure that the national and local legislation is well followed (tax exemption, social security, labour law etc.)
Provide support to mitigate the high risks identified
- Provide technical support to the Finance, Logistics, Admin, Audit and Programme departments and participate to the action plan implementation to mitigate the risks identified in 1.1, 1.2 and 1.3 upon request of the Country Director and/or the HQ Audit, Legal and Transparency Director.
- Train and supervise FLATS departments in implementation of digital file labelling and storage
External Audit: Ensure the external audit and the due diligences preparation and follow up
- Ensure the preparation of external audits and due diligences in close collaboration with the Country Compliance Manager, HQ Audit Department, the Country Finance Manager and the Country Director;
- Review the draft of the External Audit preparation (AUD-01) and ensure the update of Project, FLAT & External Audit Follow-up (AUD-00) by the Compliance Officer;
- Train the area/implementing partners staff to the external audit preparation;
- Contribute, in line with the Area and Country Finance Manager in managing external audit preparation related to implementing partners’ expenses.
- In close relation with the Country Director and Area/Country Finance Manager, facilitate and coordinate the audit, organize the kick off and close out meetings of each external audit;
- Draft ACTED Management responses to the audit report, to be approved by the Country Finance Manager and the Country Director first and then by the HQ Audit Department.
Follow-up the reception of the signed audit report;
- Ensure the update of the External Audit Recommendations follow up (AUD-02) and ensure implementation of the recommendations from external audits;
- When relevant to a project or mission registration, provide technical support to select external audit companies.
Training Sessions / Lessons Learn / Best Practices
Capacity Building and Training
- Provide practical training on specific areas of ACTED procedures.
- Coach, train and mentor Compliance staff in the country.
- Contribute to proactive dissemination and use of knowledge gained through audit activities (internal and external audits) among the international and national staff
- Participate in kick-off/closure meetings to share lesson learnt from previous audit and highlight donor guidelines.
- Reinforce current procedures and the quality of ACTED internal control based on international best practices, donors’ requirements and results of internal & external audits
- Upon request from the Audit Director, participate to the drafting of specific policies.
- Minimize risk of fraud and corruption by ensuring adherence to ACTED FLATS procedures, ACTED Code of Conduct and ACTED Anti-Fraud Policy
- Upon request of the Country Director and/or the Audit Director, coordinate fraud cases investigations
- Ensure the Fraud Register (FRA-04) is well maintained and updated
- Actively promote ACTED’s anti-fraud and whistle blowing policy within all ACTED offices in country.
- Update the organization chart and ToRs of the Compliance team according to the mission development
- Plan & conduct Audit and Compliance recruitments & appraisals; train & build capacities of the Compliance staff in country; identify staff with potential and contribute to internal mobility strategy
- Ensure training and capacity building for the Compliance team members in order to increase the level of technical ability and skills within the department
- Actively participate in country level coordination meetings by reporting on progress and risks
- Provide regular and timely updates on progress and challenges to coordination and other team members
- Warn the Area Coordination/Country Director and HQ in case some major problems arise with a potential, financial and reputational impact on the mission
- Perform any other related activities as assigned by immediate supervisor
- Manage and follow up on monthly basis the flow of documentation from NWS to Antakya
- BA in Finance / Accounting or equivalent professional qualification.
- At least 4 years of related experience, previous NGO experience is an advantage.
- Excellent computer skills in Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel
- Experienced on IT software to function quickly and effectively
- Organized and flexible, ability to respond to changing working conditions and priorities
- Ability to work independently on own initiative, assess risk and make plans accordingly
- Fluency in English language skills (spoken and written). Arabic language is an asset.
- Flexible and creative approach with a proven ability to resolve issues and identify solutions.
- Demonstrable high level of interpersonal skills and patience
- Accuracy and attention to detail.
- Impartiality, objectivity and confidentiality.
- Ability to travel locally and regionally, if necessary.
- Turkish ID holder and legally able to work in Turkey is a must.
By applying for this position you certify that the all the details with your current application, are true to the best of your background and knowledge. You accept the legal mentions of www.acted.org and authorize the automated processing of your personal data by ACTED for recruitment, HR management and administrative compliance control purposes, in accordance with European regulations for the protection of personal data.
ACTED currently has operations in northern Syria and Turkey. The activities include WASH, Non-Food Items, Food Security, Capacity Development, and Information Management in camps, urban and rural areas.