Assistant Supply Officer (Ref: VN-013-19)
|United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees(UNHCR)||Gaziantep|
|İngilizce (C2, Level 6, Advanced)|
UNITED NATIONS HIGH COMMISSIONER FOR REFUGEES
INTERNAL/EXTERNAL VACANCY NOTICE
Title of Position: Assistant Supply Officer
Position Number: 10022693
Category & Level: National Professional Category, NOA
Location: Gaziantep, Turkey
Effective date: 1 August 2019
Duration: initially for a period of one year
Closing Date: 26 February 2019
The international obligations of Turkey and its national legislative framework on asylum have shaped the form of the current collaboration with UNHCR. During the last 57 years, UNHCR and Turkey have been working together in close partnership. Turkey has provided the asylum space for persons seeking refuge, and UNHCR has assisted Turkey to determine who is in need of international protection and to enable access to rights by these persons. As the main partner of the Turkish State in the field of international protection, UNHCR Turkey continues to provide legislative and technical support as well as institutional capacity building support to the Directorate General of Migration Management (DGMM) and other national institutions.
As regard Syrian nationals who are hosted in Turkey under a Temporary Protection (TP) framework for Syrian nationals, refugees and stateless, UNHCR’s work is to support the authorities through the provision of technical assistance and strong public advocacy for enhanced responsibility sharing.
UNHCR in Turkey processes cases in close consultation with DGMM for the purposes of resettlement, intervenes to strengthen the protection environment and access to social support mechanisms, and endeavors to find durable solutions for the most vulnerable amongst those who are recognized as refugees provided they meet the criteria of the resettlement countries.
UNHCR in Turkey operates through a branch office in Ankara, with field offices in Gaziantep and Istanbul, as well as field units in Izmir, Sanliurfa, Hatay, Gaziantep and Van.
To find out more information about UNHCR, please visit our website.
The Assistant Supply Officer manages and supports all activities pertaining to the supply chain function including planning, transport, shipping, customs clearance and warehousing management in the southeast Logistics Base of operation. The incumbent is supervised by the Program Officer in Sub Office Gaziantep with overall functional guidance from the Senior Supply Officer based in Country Office in Ankara. S/he will also refer to UNHCR manuals and relevant policy papers. The incumbent is required to have basic conceptual knowledge of the profession, by dynamic and able to take on higher responsibility progressively, including drafting professional analyses and reports. The incumbent may have direct supervisory role over other staff.
The incumbent maintains regular contact on a working level on routine issues with other UNHCR offices, UN agencies, NGOs, government partners and commercial contractors in the area to facilitate the operation. The incumbent directly supervises general service staff in the office, and reports to the Programme Officer. The duty of the incumbent is to support and monitor the management of material resources within the geographical area covered by the office while exercising efficiency in the use of those resources.
Contacts are predominantly with other UN agencies, Implementing partners and Government Departments on relevant subject matters at the working level.
- UNHCR delivers timely and quality goods and services to persons of concern in compliance with supply chain rules and procedures. .
- The local supply chain function is optimised and aligned with the operations' evolving needs and management systems, and has an infrastructure that is robust and flexible enough to accommodate operational requirements.
- Supply activities are supported by effective partners.
- Prepare plans for delivery of relief items according to operational needs.
- Apply UNHCR's procurement strategy when planning for purchase of important commodities and services.
- Identify partners for supply chain projects based on objectives, priorities, strengths and resources of the implementing partner and/or contractor, according to criteria consistent with UNHCR rules and regulations.
- Ensure timely customs clearance of consignments and manage storage of goods according to "best practices" and UNHCR rules and regulations.
- Maintain an efficient system for the release, distribution and redeployment of goods.
- Coordinate transportation and distribution of relief items.
- Maintain accurate and comprehensive records on logistical activities and provide timely reports and updates both periodically and on request.
- Coordinate activities of implementing partners and/or contractors performing supply related activities, and ensure that they understand and adhere to relevant UNHCR rules and procedures.
- Through regular physical verification of PPE establish their status.
- Propose old and obsolete PPE for disposal and plan for arrival of replacement items.
- Evaluate purchase requisitions to ensure that specifications, delivery dates and all other requirements are in order.
- Draft and dispatch quotation requests and/or tenders, assist in the evaluation of offers and draft bid-tabulations, and prepare proposals for award of contracts to the Committee on Contracts.
- Prepare Purchase Orders and send confirmations, requests for inspection and other correspondence.
- Monitor the manufacture/transport of ordered goods to ensure timely delivery.
- Analyse matters relating to procurement activities, and deliver information on all procurement activities within area of responsibility. Provide guidance and advice on UNHCR procurement policies and procedures to support and assist requesting sections.
- Implement effective asset and fleet management that regularly monitors the asset/fleet pool, saves cost and safeguards the investment of the organisation including receipt, inspection, registration & marking of new Property, Plant and Equipment (PPE), and organisation of the physical verification of PPE.
- Ensure that PPE agreements are properly issued and signed. Ensure proper preparation of disposal forms and cases for the Asset Management Board. Organize the disposal of PPE according to Asset Management Board decisions.
- Provides asset management reports, customised reports, and gathers information on all assets and provides in-depth reports periodically and when requested.
- Analyse the quality of commodities and services delivered in relation to the needs of the location and established quality standards. Establish a local quality assurance process.
- Adapt local supply chain structures to be consistent with the operational needs. Ensure effective information flow in the supply chain and adapt local process to the prevailing environment.
- Monitor the quality and accuracy of supply chain related data in relevant business systems. Compile and analyse statistical information, identify trends and developments in supply chain related matters that will assist in decision making.
- Disseminate, promote commitment to and monitor compliance with UNHCR's global policies, standards and guidance on supply chain management.
- Any other responsibility deemed necessary or as delegated by the Head of Supply Management Service in order to meet the level of service requires by the organisation.
- Identify, assess and select vendors based on their capability for delivering commodities and services. Maintain vendor and item master databases.
- Allocate resources to meet demand and support the on-going operation in compliance with the resources allocation framework.
- Determine shipment methods, routes and delivery schedules to meet demand in the most timely and cost-effective manner
ESSENTIAL MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS, PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE AND REQUIRED COMPETENCIES
- Undergraduate degree (equivalent of a BA/BS) in Business Administration, Engineering, Logistics, Mathematics or related field. Graduate degree (equivalent of a Master’s) or Doctorate degree (equivalent of a PhD) may also be accepted.
- Minimum 1 year of previous work experience relevant to the function.
- Knowledge of computer applications from MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Excellent knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English.
- Managing Resources
- Analytical Thinking
- Planning and Organizing
DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS AND COMPETENCIES
- Completion of UNHCR Supply Chain Learning Programme and other UN supply related training.
- Knowledge and experience of PeopleSoft/MSRP Supply Applications.
- Certification of Chartered Institute of Supply and Purchasing (CIPS) / Fritz Institute Certificate in Humanitarian Logistics (CHL)
- Very good knowledge of local language and local institutions.
Candidates must be primarily Turkish nationals.
Interested staff members should consult the Policy and Procedures on Assignments of Locally recruited Staff (PPAL). If you have questions regarding eligibility, please contact HR Unit.
Submission of applications
If you wish to be considered for this vacancy, please submit your Personal History Form (P11) and its supplementary pages, motivation letter, CV and Turkish residence permit, if applicable provided in the apply button by 26 February 2018.
Shortlisted candidates will be required to sit for a written test. Only short-listed candidates will be notified. No late applications will be accepted. Female candidates are encouraged to apply.
UNHCR does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing, training or any other fees).
A competitive compensation and benefits package is offered. The monthly net salary is between TRY 9,644 and TRY 12,336 depending on relevant experience, dependency status and language proficiency. For more information on UN salaries, allowances and benefits, please visit the portal of the Office of HR Management of United Nations.