Associate PSP Officer (Istanbul) (Ref: JR2313534)
|United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees(UNHCR)||İstanbul|
|İngilizce (B2, Level 4, Intermediate ),Türkçe (B2, Level 4, Intermediate )|
Hardship Level (not applicable for home-based)
A (least hardship)
Family Type (not applicable for home-based)
Staff Member / Affiliate Type
Target Start Date
Job Posting End Date
April 10, 2023
Terms of Reference
1. General Background
The United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) is mandated to lead and coordinate international action to protect and assist refugees and other persons of concern.
Private Sector Partnerships Service (PSP) sits within UNHCR's Division of External Relations (DER) and is responsible for mobilizing resources from the private sector for refugees. UNHCR have developed a $1 Billion Private Sector Fundraising Strategy 2018-2025. This strategy focuses on both Individual Giving and Private Sector Partnerships and identifies priority fundraising markets and regions.
Türkiye is a very promising market for fundraising for humanitarian and refugees. PSP needs to hire an Associate PSP Officer at NOB level, to spearhead the implementation and expansion of the Private Partnerships and Philanthropy (PPH) Programme in Istanbul based on the PSP Global Strategy. Under the leadership of the Senior PSP Officer (MENAT), S/he will be responsible for the overall management of the LG pipeline, new business development, prospect and donor cultivation, and any other tasks in relation to stakeholders from the Turkish private sector including individuals, corporations and NGOs.
2. Purpose and Scope of Assignment
Under the overall supervision of the PSP Officer, the Associate PSP Officer will assist in the following:
• Strategy: contribute to setting the strategic directions for PSP operations in Türkiye, in line with the global PSP strategy, the MENAT regional PSP strategy.
• Implementation: help in the implementation of the PSP strategy for Türkiye, and the delivery of financial results, with the aim of sustainably engaging private actors in the humanitarian response to refugee crises in the region and the world.
• PPH pipeline: help maintain and manage a section of PPH pipeline of private sector prospect partners and partners in Türkiye, including commissioning or performing prospect research as necessary and moving prospects along the donor development cycle.
• Account management: manage the cultivation and day to day relationship with dedicated existing and new private sector partners of UNHCR in Türkiye, this includes individuals, NGOs/ foundations and corporations/ financial institutions.
• Prospect cultivation: support PSP Officer in creating, updating, compiling, recording and implementing development and engagement plans for priority prospects. This entitles close monitoring of the implementation of development plans in relation to priority prospect and donor partners, to be incorporated in Salesforce and updated when necessary.
• Due diligence: perform and manage the necessary screening of selected prospect partners wanting to enter into a relationship with UNHCR, in relation to UNHCR exclusionary criteria.
• Türkiye Philanthropy Market Analysis: Continuously analyze the donors’ market in Türkiye for trends, changes in laws, successful and unsuccessful campaigns, and shifting interests. Identify and maintain updated information on new and existing prospect and donor partners in Salesforce in line with UNHCR’s Salesforce Handbook. Extra attention has to be given to priority prospects so they are fully up to date at all times. This includes biographical information, key philanthropic and corporate social responsibility (CSR) activities with dollar figures, up to date wealth and asset information, social media activity and public statements and appearances, necessary due diligence, and development plans.
• Prospect meetings: ensure an active schedule of face to face meetings with prospects and donors for networking, cultivation, and pitching purposes, with the engagement of necessary and relevant internal stakeholders.
• Prospect Pipeline: monitoring priority development plans and providing a comprehensive monthly report on pipeline / cultivation progress including recommendations and alerts when no progress is made with implementing existing development plans.
• Progress Reporting: assure regular feedback is provided to PSP Türkiye are being delivered in a concise and timely manner. in coordination with relevant colleagues, develop donor recognition and acknowledgment tools. This includes but is not limited to providing support with video production, press releases / conferences, and social media visibility.
• Provide guidance to PSP Associate in Türkiye to implement the agreed strategy and meet targeted results.
• External communication: Communicate accurate and timely information on UNHCR's programs and activities, in conformity with the organization’s financial needs and priorities, to prospective and current donors.
• Internal stakeholders: assure regular and consistent communication among relevant internal stakeholders within the UNHCR Türkiye office and PSP MENAT.
• Proposal writing: draft compelling proposals and other necessary documents for submission to corporates, trusts, foundations and High Net Worth Individuals in Türkiye.
• Grant Agreements: draft and archive comprehensive grant and partnership agreements and other forms of contracts related to accepting contributions from private sector entities. Follow up on approvals of final drafts of agreements with LAS (Legal Affairs Service) and follow up with the related governmental bodies
• Donor reporting: ensure timely and accurate reporting on implementation of funded projects, by obtaining and compiling information from relevant field services within UNHCR.
• Field visits: organize and accompany donor missions to HQ or the field as required.
• Joint activities: discuss and organize with existing partners, potential joint activities such as fundraising campaigns (foundations) and cause related marketing campaigns (corporations).
• Inter-departmental activities: in co-operation with the other members of UNHCR Türkiye, develop and support activities within the framework of PSP projects with partners that will promote refugees and UNHCR's public awareness in Türkiye.
• Regional duties: assist the PSP MENAT team in the adaptation, testing and/or development of activities and tools that support PSP in Türkiye and other markets.
• Participate and organize high profile events and face to face activations to expand networking opportunities.
• Perform other related duties as required.
3. Qualifications and Experience
a. Education (Level and area of required and/or preferred education)
• University degree in Political or Social Sciences, International Relations, Sales & Marketing, Business Administration, or other related fields.
b. Work Experience
• Advance University degree in Law, Development, International Relations, Communication or related field,
• Minimum 2 years of relevant working experience in fundraising from private donors/foundations with a Masters’s degree or minimum 3 years of relevant working experience with a bachelor’s degree;
• Excellent analytical and conceptual skills and strong communication and presentation skills (both verbal and written).
• Excellent account management skills with a proven track record of financial outcomes, whether in a corporate or a non-profit environment.
• Experience working with a humanitarian response or international development organization,
• Knowledge of cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship strategies and techniques, with
private sector donors particularly in the area of private foundation fundraising techniques;
• Demonstrated record of success in generating significant funding commitments from private foundations and other private sector donors;
• Demonstrated ability in grant and proposal writing, reporting and communication materials
• at appropriate levels for varied partnership development,
• Demonstrated knowledge of methods, practices and procedures for obtaining information
• about the giving programs of foundations and private donors,
• Excellent organizational, interpersonal and networking skills with large groups as well as
• with individuals,
• Demonstrated ability to take primary responsibility for projects and to complete them in a timely manner,
• Ability to build effective relationships with prospective foundation donors, and UNHCR
technical teams and fundraising staff remotely,
• Ability to use contact management database and to present and interpret data for monitoring purposes;
• Excellent computer skills with particular reference to analysis of fundraising related data, as well as excellent knowledge of word, excel and PowerPoint.
• Proven ability to meet fundraising targets, possess required expertise and up-to-date knowledge in existing and new Private Sector Partnerships techniques.
• Excellent command of English and Turkish (written and spoken).
c. Key Competencies
• Team player and driven by numbers and success
• Demonstrated knowledge and passion for fundraising
• Excellent communication skills
• Technology Awareness.
• Keen attention to detail and timelines.
• Humanitarian experience is a plus – cause-oriented.
Recruitment as a UNHCR staff and engagement under a UNHCR affiliates scheme or as an intern is subject to proof of vaccination against Covid-19.
Standard Job Description
Open for Turkish Nationals only. English and Turkish language is a must.This position doesn't require a functional clearance
How to Apply