CARE International has been responding to the Syrian crisis since 2012, commencing with support to refugees in Jordan. The CARE Turkey Country Office was established and registered in August 2013 in response to the dire humanitarian situation experienced by civilian populations across northern Syria. Significant influxes of refugees to Turkey in 2014 expanded CARE’s Turkey operations and resulted in a significant program and operational growth. This pace of growth has continued into 2020. CARE supports communities affected by conflict and/or displacement – especially women, girls and boys – to become self-reliant, empowered and able to achieve basic needs and rights.
CARE seeks a world of hope, inclusion and social justice, where poverty has been overcome and all people live in dignity and security. In response to CARE increased Syrian response cross-border humanitarian works the program is now endeavoring to undertake an inside NW Syria direct implementation to address humanitarian needs, enhance the quality of our programming and maximum response capacity and support to CARE’s partners. We are looking for a strategic, trustworthy, dynamic, innovative and resourceful person to join the Area office in the capacity of Area MEAL Manager to be based in Gaziantep, Turkey with up to 60% travel to northern Aleppo, Syria.
The Area MEAL Manager will be a senior member of the Area office team and report directly to the Area manager. The Area MEAL Manager will manage CARE's directly implemented programing in northern Aleppo and will supervise and provide leadership for an expanding multi-sector MEAL team. the MEAL Manager will work hand in hand with the MEL specialist and the MEL Manager to ensure the Area Office program has a robust MEAL system that meet the needs, expectations and requirements of CARE and donors.
S/he will work to continuously improve the existing MEAL system with specific focus on the following areas: M&E services in alignment with the project and program cycle and the oversight of the use of relevant tools and methods at the field level. S/he will ensure that all CARE' projects are periodically monitored and verified, sample results are triangulated and reported for output level progress against targets, and where feasible, outcome level changes. The Area MEAL manager will ensure that all Area Office projects are continually monitored for their effectiveness and appropriateness and that lessons are documented and communicated to inform on-going implementation and future programming This position is also responsible to lead the Area MEAL team to implement strong Accountability system. CARE is striving for gender parity in its team structure. We particularly welcome applications for this job from female candidates.
The post holder will be responsible for ensuring CARE’s direct implemented projects:
- Is compliant with standardized or harmonized project MEAL requirements and is tracking progress against targets;
- Has captured adequate and reliable data to demonstrate the effect of project work on the target population;
- Ensures the provision of regular, timely and context-specific monitoring information to program teams and senior management to enable effective management decisions.
- Builds an evidence base through the use of assessments, surveys, evaluations, and learning exercises to refine project design, technical approaches and strategic direction and to demonstrate what works inside Syria.
- The person is expected to have strong interpersonal skills, understanding, cooperative, organized, a high ability to work within a team to take initiative and skills in influencing to support policy and advocacy.
Responsibilities and Tasks:
Job Responsibility #1 Develop and maintain MEAL System for Area office 40 %
- Implement M&E standards, good practices and MEAL system as per guidance provided from the MEL Specialist and MEAL Manager.
- Coordinate closely with the PQ MEAL team and facilitate MEAL across the program to ensure a standard level of quality and ensure that all the relevant program staff know, meet, and apply CARE MEAL minimum standards.
- Contribute to MEAL inputs across the project cycle (needs assessment, the project design phase, kick off meetings on MEAL components, mid-term reviews and final evaluations).
- Ensure up to date Result Workbooks (RWBs) and MEAL tools for all projects agreed with program teams.
- Check on the quality of, and report on the findings of triangulated data (which is analyzed by the Area MEAL Coordinator
- Ensure the MEAL team produces a consolidated monthly progress update, using PowerBi and any other databases for monitoring unique beneficiaries.
- Track and monitor the projects’ indicators and report its progress timely.
- Ensure MEAL tools are in line with the standard developed package of CARE Turkey.
- Ensure SADD data and data on gender dynamics is regularly collected and used in analysis.
- Use monthly data to produce information at program level in accessible and visible formats and encourage a culture of data use and evidence-based decision making within the program.
- Strengthen data analysis and use across the program by ensuring program teams have the MEAL information they need for program review and design.
- Lead on conducting MEAL assessments, surveys, and evaluations, as well as the analysis and dissemination of findings.
- Lead the learning activities by providing with sufficient information gathered thorough monitoring and evaluation and to support continual improvement of projects into close coordination with CARE Turkey MEL and Knowledge Management team.
- Monitor and oversee the implementation of the program’s beneficiary feedback and complaints response mechanism, including follow up on complaints, collecting and compiling findings and ensuring timely response to complaints across the program.
- Ensure and oversee that all complaints and feedback received through CARE’s feedback and complaints channels are managed and addressed within the mandated timeframe.
- Document lessons learnt and best practice to support CO adaptive programming and reporting needs.
Job Responsibility #2 MEAL Reporting 25%
- Develop and implement needs assessment plans in close coordination with the program, Program Quality Department and the Cross Border Program department.
- Ensure all field activities are ending up with final reports.
- Ensure MEAL reports are shared with programs on a timely basis for their review and feedback
- Work with MEAL team on ensure MEAL reports are meeting CARE’s quality standards and program needs
- Provide program and PQ teams with the necessary reports and data
- Provide Area program manager with the necessary MEAL inputs needed for donor’s reporting
- Flag any issues or MEAL related concerns to the Area manager on timely manner.
- In close coordination with CARE MEL specialist, ensure effective contribution to donors’ monthly, quarterly, semi-annually, and final reports.
- In close coordination with CARE MEL specialist contribute to donor’s proposals
- Coordinate the process of finalizing Results Workbook (RWBs), as MEAL tools and MEAL plan before the start of the project implementation phase
- Lead the monthly data submissions for beneficiary’s data and RWB between Area office and CARE.
- Ensure familiarity with all donor’s/CARE reporting requirements (template, SADD, content, Etc…)
- Ensure all MEAL reports are reviewed by MEAL and program staff and that constructive feedback is given to MEAL staff with relevant follow and support provided.
- Follow up with program team on the implementation of the key recommendations coming from MEAL reports.
- Lead the monthly data submissions for beneficiary’s data and RWB between Area office and CARE.
Job Responsibility #3 Staff Management, Capacity Building 25%
- Coach, train, supervise and mentor direct-report staff, including communicating clear expectations, setting quarterly performance objectives, providing regular and timely positive and constructive performance feedback, and providing documented semi-annual performance reviews.
- Holds high-quality meetings with each direct report on a regular and predictable basis, at least bi-weekly.
- Provide a measurable development plan including on-the-job learning with the aim of strengthening technical capacity, exchanging knowledge within the team and providing guidance on career paths.
- Maintain open and professional relations with team members, promoting a strong team spirit and providing oversight and guidance to enable staff to successfully perform in their positions.
- Maintain a positive and engaging learning environment for Area MEAL team staff, focusing on staff performance against the MEAL unit work plan.
- Supervise and coach Area MEAL Coordinator to complete to a high technical standard, MEAL plans per project. Review the quality and timeliness of these plans as a way of providing back-up support to the MEAL Coordinator
- Supervise and coach the Area MEAL Coordinator to deliver timely, useful, effectively analyzed data and monitoring reports from MEAL field team.
- In collaboration with the human resources department, identify training needs of staff and conduct or outsource in house MEAL training for MEAL and project staff.
Job Responsibility #4 Other duties 10 %
- Ensure that the minimum standards of humanitarian relief are maintained in accordance with the Core Humanitarian Standard on Quality and Accountability and CARE’s Framework on Accountability to Affected Populations.
- Support scale up to respond to emergencies within the designated portfolio/areas or as requested by the AM / ACD, as per CARE’s categorization requirements, in line with global emergency goals and benchmarks as well as organizational plans and policies.
- Support CARE to better understand the functionality of Area Office’s MEAL and data management system.
- Comply with CARE policies and practices with respect to gender and diversity, child protection, code of conduct, health and safety, and equal opportunities.
- Any other duties as required.
- University Degree in Management, Business Administration, or related field, preferred. Technical degree or certification in related field with significant applicable experience.
- A Master’s Degree in a related field
- Certification in MEAL related technical course.
- At least 5 years of experience in humanitarian experience, including at least 3 solid years of professional experience in MEAL for NGOs.
- Minimum 2 years of experience in MEAL management role with an NGOs in direct implementation modality.
- Established success in managing teams working remotely, under difficult conditions, with less-than-ideal communications systems.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively, both independently and in a team environment, in an atmosphere of multiple projects, shifting priorities, and deadline pressures.
- Proven experience with management and supervision of large teams and budgets in challenging and insecure environments, and interest in building the capacity of teams.
- Specific experience in designing project proposals for different donors.
- Experience in do-no-harm approaches in a humanitarian context, preferably in Syrian context
- Demonstrated understanding of and experience with policies, protocols, and procedures of international NGO’s and donor agencies.
- Proficient in USAID rules and regulations; prior experience working on USAID (including OFDA, FFP) funded programs preferred and other donors such as GFFO, ECHO, etc
- Strong writing skills and proven track record of high quality policy briefs and reports
- Can-Do Attitude
- Strong experience in developing/managing MEAL systems in complex environments.
- Demonstrated MEAL field experience, in conflict or complex contexts.
- Skilled in collecting, synthesizing and analyzing data linked with inputs, outputs and outcomes.
- Experienced in working with technical teams to enable program development.
- Extensive experience in team management
- Extensive experience in database management, quantitative software applications and qualitative methods
- Solid ability to provide team-building, coaching, and development for staff as well as encourage cross-functional collaboration and cooperation.
- Advanced professional competency in Microsoft Office Suite, and knowledge of IT system.
- Well-developed written and oral communication skills. Able to communicate clearly and sensitively with internal and external stakeholders as a representative of CARE. This includes effective negotiation and representation skills
- Ability to work both in an advisory and a hands on implementation capacity
- Excellent communication and influencing skills.
- Ability to handle a high workload and to work independently.
- Politically and culturally sensitive with qualities of patience, tact and diplomacy
- The capacity and willingness to be extremely flexible and accommodating in difficult and sometimes insecure working circumstances.
- Flexibility and ability to multi-task under pressure.
- Ability to work well in unstable and changing security environments.
- Strong organization, multi-tasking and time management skills.
- Strong skills in inter-personal communications, able to work effectively with multiple stakeholders in a complex, multi-actor environment.
- Strong skills in written communication, including effective report writing
- Sensitivity to cultural differences and the ability to work effectively across a wide variety of cultural contexts.
- Ability to communicate ideas in a culturally-sensitive manner and conducive to their practical application
- Fluent both in Arabic and English.
- Turkish language skills is desired.
Child Protection Policy
Child abuse in all forms is unacceptable to CARE Turkey, which recognizes its responsibility to protect children from harm in all areas of its work. CARE Turkey is committed to ensuring a child-safe environment and is applying a zero-tolerance approach towards any kind of child abuse and exploitation.
Discrimination, Abuse and Harassment Policy
CARE Turkey expressly prohibits and will not tolerate any form of discrimination, abuse, harassment (sexual or otherwise), based upon race, ethnicity, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, marital status, citizenship status, disability, or military status. CARE employees and related personnel must under no circumstances take part in any form of discrimination, harassment, or abuse (physical, sexual or verbal), intimidation or exploitation, or in any other way infringe the rights of others inside or outside CARE.
Employment is subject to the possession of valid identification documents (passport, residency card, temporary protection card, etc.) and successfully obtaining permission to work by the Government of Turkey (work permit). CARE will submit the work permit application on behalf of the selected candidate after the job offer accepted. Candidate can start to work for CARE only after the work permit is received. Failure to provide the required documents or rejection of a work permit application by the Government of Turkey will result in your employment offer being rescinded.
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested candidates, please attach a Curriculum Vitae in English and a Cover letter (in a separate file of no more than one A4 page) describing how your skills and experience match the requirements of this post, following to provided link when you click on the apply button.
Applications in languages other than English will not be reviewed.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted
** CARE International is an Equal Opportunity Employer **
** Female candidates are encouraged to apply! **