The Food Security and Emergency Response Program Manager will lead CARE’s remotely-managed Program, including its Food Security Projects, winterization response, and Rapid Response Mechanism in Northwest Syria. Reporting to the Director of programs-X-Border, and with support from the Assistant country director for Humanitarian, the Program Manager will lead the implementation of the Food Security and Emergency Response Program strategy to ensure CARE’s intervention is timely, effective, and relevant to the range of needs. S/he will be overall responsible for all Emergency Response, Basic Needs, and Food Security programming in the Northwest Syria portfolio, directly manage the CARE Food security and Emergency teams and be directly responsible for relevant partner management and performance as well as donor coordination. FS&ER PM will work closely with CARE’s other Program Managers to ensure strategic integration of CARE’s established program sectors within its emergency response where possible as well as collaborating with key program support functions, including Program Quality, Risk management, Finance, HR, Administration, Logistics and Procurement, and Donor compliance teams to ensure operational systems and processes are functioning smoothly. S/he will be responsible for the application of gender and protection mainstreaming in all Food Security and Emergency Response projects and will provide technical training, mentoring, and capacity building for CARE staff and implementing partners. S/he will ensure that the Program is principled and compliant, focusing on project management, partner management, donor coordination, program development, and reporting within the Program. S/he will take an active role in technical coordination, support and advocacy with national and local cluster coordination mechanisms. Finally, under the guidance of the Director of Programs-X-Border, s/he will maintain and update the NWS Emergency Preparedness Plan across all programmatic areas.
Job Responsibility #1 Program Development and Sectorial leadership | % 20 |
- Lead on developing and implementing the CARE Turkey cross-border Response in North-west Syria related to the Food Security and Emergency Response strategies in line with CARE global strategies.
- Participate in developing CARE Turkey Cross-border strategy and provide inputs regarding Food Security and Emergency Response programming.
- Design, coordinate and lead sectoral need assessments and ensure that findings are used in program strategy review and the program planning adaptions.
- Provide technical leadership and inputs related to the interventions implemented through CARE’s direct implementation and CARE’s partners, including but not limited to Modality selection, Delivery mechanism and applied tools.
- Lead on the development of Food Security and Emergency Response sectors’ plans, inclusive of partner portfolio needs and in line with CARE Turkey sector planning and strategies.
- Lead on the Program-Related donor relations, support development of donor proposals, and medium to long-term funding strategies.
- Ensure the master budget for applying the Food Security and Food Security and Emergency Response sector is in place and representative of the sector planning and strategy.
- Financial management of all Food Security and Emergency Response sector budget lines, including the monitoring of Partners up-to-date reviewing CARE’s budgets.
- Ensure up-to-date scenarios and Emergency Preparedness plans for Emergency Response is in place, in close collaboration with other sector program managers.
- Support the country office efforts for advocacy and fundraising related to sectors under this program
Job Responsibility #2 Program Implementation and Quality Assurance | % 40 |
- Design and implement appropriate Food Security and Emergency Response Sectors’ Programs by ensuring efficiency and effectiveness through strong program management as well as assuring quality of partner implemented projects.
- Establish detailed implementation plans, including phased budgets, work plans, procurement planning and indicator tracking.
- Manage program budget lines, ensure proper and effective use of program resources, and ensure full compliance with CARE and donor requirements
- Prepare timely program and donor reports on project activities in compliance with internal CARE requirements and any relevant external donor requirements.
- With technical support from the Program Quality team, apply appropriate targeting criteria and mechanisms to ensure the needs of identified vulnerable groups are met.
- Lead on project level progress reviews with partners and relevant CARE departments inclusive of work plan, budget and MEAL plan reviews.
- Act and report on issues raised through independent verification activities and review the related process and procedures accordingly.
- Ensure program data is of good quality with sufficient data review, protection, storage and analysis to inform project adaption and program development.
- Responsible for ensuring program specific gender action plan (GAP) and the “do no harm” assessment is planned and implemented throughout the project cycle and mitigation measures and re-adaptation of the program/budget occurs, with close support of the GBV/protection mainstreaming officer and in close coordination and cooperation with the gender and protection adviser (at strategic level and capacity building).
- Lead on project/sector specific learning reviews with partners with support from program quality.
- Ensure that program teams are kept informed of developments in Northwest Syria in the area of sectorial development, in particular by liaising with partners and other International and other institutions in the country where possible
- Liaise with local partners, NGOs, and other relevant entities for coordination and implementation, including with relevant Cluster coordination bodies
- Ensure risks are appropriately managed, including financial, safety and security, programmatic and reputational.
- Liaise with CARE country team and other CARE global support to ensure all necessary support is provided to ensure the effective implementation of the program.
- Coordinate and collaborate with the relevant technical specialists to ensure the managed program meets desired outcomes
- Ensure gender is fully considered throughout the project cycle with women being enabled to influence decision- making around food security, Shelter/NFI and Emergency Response related interventions.
- Ensure that Food Security and Emergency Response program is conflict sensitive and responsive to the local context by remaining aware of the shifting context and coordinating with the security team and regional access team.
Job Responsibility #3 Partner Management | % 15 |
- Accountable for strong management of partners including supporting SGA development and leading SGA implementation, addressing of partner issues, monitoring of partner weaknesses, and supportive supervision to partners.
- Develop and support excellent working relationships between CARE and implementing partners based on effective and timely communication, supportive management and strong guidance on compliance.
- Support the Partnership Manager to conduct organizational capacity applying assessments for new and existing partners and contribute to the Partnership Committee on partner selection for Food Security and Emergency Response sectors partners.
- Conduct technical assessments for new and existing partners to enable categorization of partners based on technical capacity.
- Monitor and review current Food Security and Emergency Response sectors partners in line with Partner monitoring systems and work with the Partnership Manager to identify new partners.
- Track and share implementation issues with the Partnership Manager and compliance issues with the Compliance Manager with a focus on follow up and resolution by the program team.
- Contribute strongly to partner monitoring processes as led by the Partnership Manager.
Job Responsibility #4 Staff Management and Capacity Building | % 10 |
- Manage the Food Security and Emergency Response Program team, including staff in Syria and technical consultants
- Ensure CARE Program staff receive strong line management, performance appraisal and coaching and mentioning support.
- Accountable for CARE staff work planning and delivery of results.
- Support the partnership manager to develop and implement Food Security and Emergency Response sector s capacity development plan for partners
Job Responsibility #5 Rapid Response Mechanism | % 15 |
- Oversee the development of processes and mechanisms for community-based rapid response activities, expanding CARE’s rapid response capacity
- Liaise with other COs as well as CARE regional and global level to ensure that the rapid response approaches and systems are aligned with CARE priorities and strategies.
- As possible, travel to Syria or other hubs for flash visits, partner meetings, and consultant capacity building
- Work with MEL team to refine rapid needs assessment tool and coordinate with other cross-border partners on the use of the tool and dashboard.
- In collaboration with other Program Managers, Partnerships, MEL and Director of Programs-X-Border, oversee rapid response activities related to needs identified through rapid assessments.
- Distribute regular rapid needs assessments to external partners, following emergencies. Coordinate emergency alerts with rapid response mechanism.
- Support coordination with the safety and security team for all emergency response activities
- Coordinate rapid response context, needs, and response activities to the relevant inter-agency coordination groups
- Identify information gaps and support the development of assessment tools including assessment questionnaires
- Oversee the expansion of CARE’s rapid response activities to respond to critical gaps and needs identified in rapid needs assessments
- Coordinate with relevant UN agencies/clusters for convoys to transport relief items related to rapid response and other CARE program activities
- Ensure pre-positioned stock remains available in partner warehouses for rapid response activities
- Support stock management, preparedness and security training for partners to ensure quality asset control
- Minimum of Bachelor’s degree in relevant subject such as International Development/Relations, Business Administration etc. with humanitarian specializations
- Minimum of 5 years of experience within the humanitarian sector
- Minimum of 3 years of experience as a project or program manager with staff management responsibilities
- Minimum of 3 years of experience working in conflict settings preferably in the context of the Syrian Crisis
- Proven experience in management of large awards from institutional donors, including project design, implementation, and reporting
- Proven experience working with implementing partners and with sub-granting
- Proven experience with integrating gender and protection into other program sectors
- Proven experience implementing Emergency Response programming
- Strong understanding of basic needs in emergency contexts and broad experience delivering programming across technical sectors
- Full understanding of different CVA modalities,
- Emergency Response technical expertise including designing/executing/analyzing needs assessments, leading on contingency planning, developing response strategies and integrating protection in humanitarian action
- Ability to work with and mentor local implementing partners
- Proposals writing and donor reporting
- Budget development and management
- Demonstrated skills in capacity building
- Team leadership and management
- Remote management of programs
- Knowledge of/experience with the Syria Crisis context
- Strong English and Arabic communication skills and writing competency.
- Solid Microsoft Office 365 user level
- Monitoring and evaluation of remote programs
Location: Gaziantep with a 10 percent of time travelling
Child Protection Policy
Child abuse in all forms is unacceptable to CARE Turkey, which recognizes its responsibility to protect children from harm in all areas of its work. CARE Turkey is committed to ensuring a child-safe environment and is applying a zero-tolerance approach towards any kind of child abuse and exploitation.
Discrimination, Abuse and Harassment Policy
CARE Turkey expressly prohibits and will not tolerate any form of discrimination, abuse, harassment (sexual or otherwise), based upon race, ethnicity, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, marital status, citizenship status, disability, or military status. CARE employees and related personnel must under no circumstances take part in any form of discrimination, harassment, or abuse (physical, sexual or verbal), intimidation or exploitation, or in any other way infringe the rights of others inside or outside CARE.
Employment is subject to the possession of valid identification documents (passport, residency card, temporary protection card, etc.) and successfully obtaining permission to work by the Government of Turkey (work permit). CARE will submit the work permit application on behalf of the selected candidate after the job offer accepted. Candidate can start to work for CARE only after the work permit is received. Failure to provide the required documents or rejection of a work permit application by the Government of Turkey will result in your employment offer being rescinded.
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested candidates, please attach a Curriculum Vitae in English and a Cover letter (in a separate file of no more than one A4 page) describing how your skills and experience match the requirements of this post, following to provided link when you click on the apply button.
Applications in languages other than English will not be reviewed.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted
** CARE International is an Equal Opportunity Employer **
** Female candidates are encouraged to apply! **
- CARE is Looking for NGO Forum Advocacy and Communication Coordinator
- CARE is Looking for Gender in Emergencies Specialist (Re-Advertisement)
- CARE is Looking for FSR Project Assistant
- CARE is Looking for FSR Project Assistant X2
- CARE is Looking for Protection Outreach Officer (Re-advertisement) - Female Only
- CARE is Looking for ICT Officer