CARE International in Turkey (CARE), together with its partners, is providing humanitarian assistance to people affected by the Syrian crisis, both in Syria and Turkey. CARE began projects responding to the needs of Syrian refugees in southern Turkey in October 2014.
This Head of Sub-Office position is within the Refugee Team, based in Urfa and overseeing implementation in the region. S/he will be required to travel regularly to field sites and to the main office in Gaziantep (and potentially other programming areas) and some overnight stays in locations other than the base location may be required.
Under the Head of Programs’ guidance and supervision, the Head of Sub-Office will be responsible for overseeing implementation of project components by CARE in Urfa including line-managing staff in the Refugee Team directly implementing activities under these grants. In addition, it is expected that the Head of Sub-Office will ensure that all grants for which s/he is focal point are implemented in a manner that ensures the highest accountability standards for internal (client/beneficiaries and CARE country office and CI members) and external (donors, local stakeholders) clients. The role of the Head of Sub-Office will also involve coordination, oversight, and coaching of the team, with the support of the Head of Programs and technical advisors. The Head of Sub-Office will ensure that all work plans are prepared and implemented according to schedule.
Contract length: 12 months with the possibility of extension, dependent on funding
Responsibilities and Tasks
Job Responsibility #1
Project Management and Accountability
- Ensure the successful completion of assigned projects including coordinating CARE staff and plans on a day to day basis to ensure the effective and accountable management and implementation.
- Coordinate the implementation of multi-sectoral activities, with an initial focus on protection (including case management, information dissemination, and awareness raising/outreach) livelihoods, and Shelter/WASH across multiple projects with the support of the Head of Programs and technical advisors.
- Ensure that CARE implements grants in a manner that meets contractual obligations including all donor and CARE policies, procedures, compliance rules, and regulations.
- Conduct regular team meetings with staff to ensure projects are implemented per agreed work plans and support them to do this.
- Facilitate reporting and information flow to grant focal points and the Head of Programs to meet donor reporting requirements within agreed timeframes.
- Strengthen existing networks of contacts and/or support the establishment of new networks amongst relevant service providers and stakeholders (NGOs, governmental stakeholders, UN, etc.) implementing refugee responses in Turkey.
- Ensure that accountability mechanisms are implemented according to agreed principles and procedures.
- Monitor project expenditure in coordination with the Head of Programs and Finance Manager.
- Support the Head of Programs to ensure that risks are appropriately managed, including financial, safety and security, programmatic and reputational risks.
- Coordinate and collaborate with technical specialists as needed, including the Technical managers, and Gender, Protection and Quality Advisor.
Job Responsibility #2
Job Responsibility #3
Staff Supervision and Representation
Job Responsibility #4
Safety and Security Focal Point (SSFP)
Job Responsibility #5