CARE International in Turkey (CARE), together with its partners, is providing humanitarian assistance to people affected by the Syrian crisis, both in Syria and Turkey. CARE began projects responding to the needs in southern Turkey since October 2014.
The Monitoring Evaluation Learning (MEL) Manager position will be focusing on the response mainly targeting the vulnerable members of the host community and refugees’ assistance in southern Turkey. The overall objective of this response is to meet urgent needs, improve living conditions and reduce the vulnerability of refugees and the host community population and host population in southern Turkey.
The main purpose of this role is to lead the CARE Turkey MEL system for Turkey response, enhancing the quality and accountability of our work and the work of implementation in Turkey.
The MEL Manager will be responsible for ensuring the Country Office:
- Has the systems and high-quality data available to be informed of the effect on the targeted populations.
- Provide the senior management with the evidence-based MEL data to support programmatic and strategic decision-making.
- Ensure Turkey response program activities are delivered based on the needs of the targeted communities and the results of those are considered for future implementation.
- Work with the relevant teams to ensure CARE Turkey's program is contributing to CARE International global strategy.
This role will contribute to the development of CARE Turkey country office MEL system and work/coordinate closely with different teams from Program and Program Quality staff. The role will work to continuously improve the existing MEL system in general with a specific focus on the following areas: quantitative/qualitative data collection, assessment scheduling and coordination, data analysis and use, and quality monitoring. The MEL Manager will ensure that all projects are continually monitored for their effectiveness and appropriateness and the lessons are documented and communicated to inform ongoing implementation and future programming. S/he will guide Programme & MEL teams in achieving outcome/impact-focused projects in line with CARE’s standards and requirements. S/he will generally coordinate MEL across the program to ensure a standard level of quality is maintained across the project.
Job Responsibility #1 MEL system development and Improvement | % 35 |
- Leading, reviewing and revising the MEL system for CARE in Turkey to constantly meet the needs and the requirements of country office.
- Setting up the strategic direction for MEL system of the Turkey program.
- Monitor the MEL framework for the Turkey program, guiding the MEL team on adapting/revising scheduled activities as needed.
- Supervise the MEL team working in Turkey response and ensure MEL staff have sufficient support in order to deliver their expected tasks on time with good quality.
- Ensure Turkey Program data is contributing to CARE’s global & MENA strategies and outcomes, CARE’s global indicators are incorporated into projects results workbook, progress is tracked and review on regular basis.
- Develop and manage MEL related budgets and support donor proposal drafting of MEL sections.
- Ensure that staff from CARE and partners fully understand the function of MEL System in CARE and its role in quality assurance and strengthen a culture of open reflection and improvement.
- Ensure that Turkey projects indicators, including donor & CARE’s indicators, are tracked, reviewed, and stored in an online platform following CARE’s archiving structure.
- Work with the MEL team on strengthening the use of MEL data across the program through key MEL-led reports & products, making key information accessible to stakeholders for program review and design.
- Support the knowledge management team to ensure that project monitoring includes strong and comparable quality and accountability elements that data collection and entry methodologies used at field level are standardized and subject to regular review.
- Work with the Data Management coordinator and knowledge Management (KM) manager to improve the data management system by revision of data flow, double counting adjustment, revision of databases, review of modality of reporting, review of IT solution etc.
- Support the KM team with monthly MEL data to produce information on KPIs at CO level in accessible formats for different strata of staff.
- Establish and maintain a system of project review in collaboration with project managers and KM team.
- Lead on the designing and conducting final project evaluations aligned to expected project outcomes and impact.
- Support implementation of program assessments, surveys and evaluations, including training MEL officers and field supports for data collection methods; facilitate focus groups and other qualitative data collection exercises.
- Compile synthesis of learning across projects, sectors and responses.
Job Responsibility #2 Ensuring Project’s MEL needs and requirements are fulfilled | %30 |
- Lead development of all required MEL tools per sector (including but not limited to baseline surveys, MEL frameworks, assessment tools, data collection tools etc.).
- Provide capacity building through mentoring, coaching, and training to CARE staff and partners on MEL tools, procedures and requirements
- Work closely with MEL officers to ensure timely and quality data, collection, analysis, and reporting
- Develop Theory of Change (TOC) documents for the projects
- Ensure CARE’s Turkey programs are in compliance with CARE & donor’s MEL guidance & requirements.
- Work with MEL officers and project managers to ensure all donor’s MEL reporting are met.
- Revise and maintain CARE’s standard operating procedures to ensure appropriate verification of project’s activities and fair selection of beneficiaries.
- Ensure monitoring reports produced by MEL officers are in high quality and reflecting the needs of different sectors.
- Manage contracts and relationships with consultants based in Turkey as needed.
- Conduct monthly progress review meetings with each sector review indicators reporting and update MEL plans.
- Ensure proper monitoring and verification visits are conducted for each project
- Ensure sufficient real time monitoring and post activity monitoring is planned and conducted for program activities.
Job Responsibility #3 Team Management, Program Quality Coordination and support | %35 |
- Lead and support the Turkey MEL team, provide support, coaching and mentoring to the team members spread in different geographical locations
- Conduct weekly meetings with the Turkey MEL team to catch up on work progress, priorities and timeframes.
- Coordinate closely with Program Quality MEL team on the development and standardization of MEL tools, process, and SoPs as possible.
- Support the research and KM coordinator on scheduling and planning project’s related assessments and research.
- Work with the Gender & Protection Advisor to mainstream gender and protection into project monitoring & ensure minimum sex and age disaggregated data is collected across the projects.
- Ensure that MEL tools are reviewed by the gender and protection advisor before finalization.
- Support the communication advisor with the required MEL related data media and advocacy purposes
- Provide feedback to Data Management team all data related issues and concerns, and work with team on improving the data quality and reliability.
- Refer all feedback and complaints received through the MEL staff directly to Accountability officer and Coordinator for their action and follow up.
- Work with KM team on ensuring learning reviews are conducted as planned
- Represent CARE in external coordination when requested.
- Ensure that the minimum standards of humanitarian relief are maintained in accordance with the Sphere Charter and Red Cross Code of Conduct.
- Master’s/PHD level degree in Social Sciences, Information Management, Statistics or related field
- At least 3 years of professional experience in a similar role
- Strong leadership and team management skills.
- Previous relevant experience in similar position with national or international NGO
- Ability to work independently and take decisions
- Extensive experience in monitoring and evaluation for humanitarian programs
- Strong skills in Excel and other data management software
- Excellent communication and influencing skills
- Politically and culturally sensitive with qualities of patience, tact and diplomacy
- The capacity and willingness to be extremely flexible and accommodating in difficult and sometimes insecure working circumstances
- Strong English skills spoken, listening, and written.
- Commitment to the aims and principles of CARE International
- Arabic speaking skills
- Experience with institutional donors (i.e. PRM, ECHO)
- Demonstrated ability in community mobilization and community-level dialogue.
- Ability to communicate in Turkish, and or Kurdish.
Fluency in written and oral English. Must be able to read and interpret documents and communicate with others as necessary to perform job duties effectively.
Child Protection Policy
Child abuse in all forms is unacceptable to CARE Turkey, which recognizes its responsibility to protect children from harm in all areas of its work. CARE Turkey is committed to ensuring a child-safe environment and is applying a zero-tolerance approach towards any kind of child abuse and exploitation.
Discrimination, Abuse and Harassment Policy
CARE Turkey expressly prohibits and will not tolerate any form of discrimination, abuse, harassment (sexual or otherwise), based upon race, ethnicity, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, marital status, citizenship status, disability, or military status. CARE employees and related personnel must under no circumstances take part in any form of discrimination, harassment, or abuse (physical, sexual or verbal), intimidation or exploitation, or in any other way infringe the rights of others inside or outside CARE.
Employment is subject to the possession of valid identification documents (passport, residency card, temporary protection card, etc.) and successfully obtaining permission to work by the Government of Turkey (work permit). CARE will submit the work permit application on behalf of the selected candidate after the job offer accepted. Candidate can start to work for CARE only after the work permit is received. Failure to provide the required documents or rejection of a work permit application by the Government of Turkey will result in your employment offer being rescinded.
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested candidates, please attach a Curriculum Vitae in English and a Cover letter (in a separate file of no more than one A4 page) describing how your skills and experience match the requirements of this post, following to provided link when you click on the apply button.
Applications in languages other than English will not be reviewed.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted
** CARE International is an Equal Opportunity Employer **
** Female candidates are encouraged to apply! **