CARE International in Turkey (CARE), together with its partners, is providing humanitarian assistance to people affected by the Syrian crisis, both in Syria and Turkey. In response to the large-scale influx of refugees in late September/early October 2014, CARE began projects in southern Turkey.
I - Position Summary
Managed by the Protection Outreach (PO) Officer, and working in collaboration with program and technical staff, the Protection Outreach Assistant will be responsible for planning and implementing community activities with a focus on protection messaging and training. The Protection Outreach Assistant will contribute to developing appropriate protection messages and materials and identifying, training and supporting community activators (CAS) as well as the community steering committee (CSC) members; assist in liaising with community leaders, focal points, authorities, and organizations; support CARE’s Information Protection Spaces (IPSs); update records of activities and prepare reports as needed; contribute to the high-quality implementation of CARE’s refugee response. S/he will ensure that agreed procedures are followed and accountability mechanisms are implemented in order to ensure high-quality programming and continually improve the support to refugees provided by CARE.
II - General Functions
- Contribute to developing appropriate protection messages and materials; identifying, training and supporting CAs and CSC members
- Assist in liaising with community leaders, focal points, authorities and organizations
- Support CARE’s Information Protection Spaces (IPSs)
- Update records of activities and prepare reports as needed
- Contribute to the high-quality implementation of CARE’s refugee response
III - Roles and responsibilities
1. Contribute to developing appropriate protection messages and materials, and identifying, training and supporting CAs and CSC members (65%)
- Assist with the development of presentations as well as the IEC materials
- Assist with the identification and recruitment of appropriate community activators who will participate in PO training sessions and will help to implement and lead community-based activities.
- Undertake necessary preparation for each training session or community activity in a timely fashion.
- Assist the Protection Outreach Coordinator and Officer to train community activators (CAs) to carry out protection messaging activities in accordance with agreed plans and procedures.
- Ensure that CAs are aware of accountability mechanisms and their role in implementing these.
- Support the CAs to implement community activities and establish community support networks and mechanisms.
- Ensure that CAs have the necessary tools and materials to support their work.
- Support the CAs to identify protection cases or cases of vulnerability and assist in referral to the Case Management team.
- Assist in liaising with community leaders, focal points, authorities and organizations (10%)
- Assist with activities to introduce CARE to community leaders, community members, focal points, authorities, and organizations
- Support the PO team related to the changes, and improvements, -including out of curriculum activities-in implementation that happens during collaboration with local governmental/non-governmental institutions
- Support CARE’s Information Protection Spaces (IPSs) (10%)
- Support six office workers stationed in Haliliye, Eyyübiye and Birecik IPS offices
- Work under the supervision of the Protection Outreach Officer, with support from the other protection outreach assistants to ensure the smooth operation of the IPSs in terms of activities, supplies etc.
- Support Community Activators, CSC members and other CARE team members in the day to day functioning of the IPS including scheduling, planning and implementing activities in the IPS
- Update records of activities and prepare reports as needed (10%)
- Ensure that adequate and accurate records of information on participants of activities are kept, in collaboration with the PO Officer
- Produce regular activity reports for the Protection Outreach Officer and Project Coordinator on community activities.
- Keep databases for the project up to date.
- Mentor the CAs on how to keep appropriate records of their sessions/activities.
- Contribute to high-quality implementation of CARE’s refugee response (5%)
- Implement activities in accordance with agreed standard operating procedures and using agreed tools.
- With the MEAL team and Protection Outreach Coordinator, ensure that participants are selected for activities based on agreed criteria and are registered according to the procedure.
- Contribute to regular project monitoring for the refugee response.
- Assist the Program Quality staff in organizing monitoring and evaluation activities in the field.
- Ensure that feedback received from community members is used to continually improve activities and that activities are meeting the needs of the communities
IV - Qualification and skills
- Ability to work well within a team.
- Prior experience of working on humanitarian aid programs with (I)NGOs.
- Strong training and facilitation skills.
- Experience motivating people to participate in events/activities.
- Strong report writing and documentation skills (English and Arabic).
- Fluent spoken and written Arabic.
- Fluent spoken and written English.
- Computer skills especially in MS Word, MS Excel, MS PowerPoint, and MS Outlook.
- Prior experience of protection activities or social work and community-based programming.
- Good spoken and written Turkish.
V – Work conditions
Duty station: Based in Şanlıurfa with regular travel to field locations in Şanlıurfa.
Contract length: 27 August, 2020 until 27 August 2021
Field work: 40-60% (2-3 days/week)
Office work: 40-60% (2-3 days/week)
Child Protection Policy
Child abuse in all forms is unacceptable to CARE Turkey, which recognizes its responsibility to protect children from harm in all areas of its work. CARE Turkey is committed to ensuring a child-safe environment and is applying a zero-tolerance approach towards any kind of child abuse and exploitation.
Discrimination, Abuse and Harassment Policy
CARE Turkey expressly prohibits and will not tolerate any form of discrimination, abuse, harassment (sexual or otherwise), based upon race, ethnicity, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, marital status, citizenship status, disability, or military status. CARE employees and related personnel must under no circumstances take part in any form of discrimination, harassment, or abuse (physical, sexual or verbal), intimidation or exploitation, or in any other way infringe the rights of others inside or outside CARE.
Employment is subject to the possession of valid identification documents (passport, residency card, temporary protection card, etc.) and successfully obtaining permission to work by the Government of Turkey (work permit). CARE will submit the work permit application on behalf of the selected candidate after the job offer accepted. Candidate can start to work for CARE only after the work permit is received. Failure to provide the required documents or rejection of a work permit application by the Government of Turkey will result in your employment offer being rescinded.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates, please attached a Curriculum Vitae in English and a Cover letter (in a separate file of no more than one A4 page) describing how your skills and experience match the requirements of this post, following to link provided when you apply
Applications in languages other than English will not be reviewed.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
** CARE International is an Equal Opportunity Employer **