The WASH & Shelter Project Coordinator will be one of the key positions within CARE Turkey's WASH & Shelter team following on WASH & shelter projects in northern Syria.
Working remotely, s/he will manage, and gradually strengthen the capacity of a small team of program consultants responsible for conducting WASH & shelter needs assessment in conflict-affected areas and monitor the technical work for our implementing partners. Under the direct supervision of the WASH & Shelter Program Manager, WASH & Shelter Project Coordinator will use the data generated from these assessments to prepare regular assessment reports and share them with other humanitarian actors in order to inform program delivery and to improve operational coordination.
With few actors currently implementing WASH & shelter programming in northern Syria, there is a need for strategic planning for humanitarian programming. WASH & Shelter needs are among some of the most critical throughout Syria at this time, and CARE is committed to implementing strategic WASH & shelter programming to address humanitarian needs. The WASH & Shelter Project Coordinator will further design projects to address identified needs, managing partnerships with implementing partners and supporting the management of monitoring of WASH & shelter activities. This position will report to the WASH & Shelter Program Manager, and will work closely with RR and Protection program team, Partnerships Manger, Safety and Security Manager, M&E team, and coordinating with the related clusters.
Job Responsibility #1 WASH & Shelter Project Implementation %60 of time
- Manage sub-grants to implementing partners responsible for implementing WASH & shelter activities
- Recruit remote consultants and train them in their roles
- Provide daily coaching and mentoring to consultants and partners; arrange trainings for consultants/partners as relevant/possible
- Develop project tools, including assessment questionnaires to be entered into electronic data collection platforms
- Ensure WASH & shelter project activities are on track and adhere to project proposal, implantation plan, budget, and donor and CARE regulations
- Oversee ongoing technical assessment processes; generate high quality assessments reports and BoQs and share assessment reports and engage with relevant humanitarian actors.
- In collaboration with Emergency Response and Protection CARE’s staff, oversee emergency response activities related to WASH & Shelter needs identified through rapid assessments
- Working closely with program quality team, ensure necessary monitoring systems are in place
- Support M&E and technical teams with monitoring and data collection activities for other projects as needed
- Prepare inputs for coordination mechanisms (4Ws).
- Prepare inputs for CARE sitreps.
- Support external representation as needed, especially in meetings with operational partners and in the WASH and shelter/NFI sector working groups.
- Prepare all narrative reports requested by CARE offices and donors as per the related IPIA and reporting schedule.
- Prepare donor updates and reports as needed
Job Responsibility #2 Financial/Asset Management % 20 of time
- Support procurement and financial processes related to WASH & Shelter projects, and ensure they are in line with CARE policies and procedures
- Ensure that Project expenditure is being coded correctly and consistently (that is allocated to correct budget lines) and that donor funds are used solely for the purposes for which they were granted and in accordance with relevant CARE-CO and donor guidelines.
- Working closely with project Manager and finance team to review and approve partner expenses and reports
- Ensure regular payment of consultants based on continuous performance management and monitoring
- Check monthly Project financial report for accuracy and appropriateness.
- Regularly discuss with Finance Manager concerning financial reporting issues, errors, trends, payment delays and related matters.
- Monitor expenditure on a monthly basis against the approved budget. Review expenditure projections to ensure that expenditure stays within budget. Significant actual or anticipated expenditure variances against the budget should be included in the monthly report to line management together with any recommendations for changes to the budget.
- Review and finalize project financial reports to donors
Job Responsibility #3 Personnel Management % 10 of time
- Develop, define and maintain updated job descriptions for WASH & Shelter project officers and consultants, which clearly delineate the roles and responsibilities of consultants and country office
- Work with line management and Administration Section regarding the recruitment of consultants, ensuring that CARE's recruitment/procurement procedures policies are followed.
- Ensure that all staff clearly understand their roles and responsibilities. On the basis of their job descriptions monitor staff performance and provide constructive feedback to staff in line with CARE CO Performance management procedures.
- Identify the key skills required by all Project staff to effectively fulfil their designated roles and where necessary suggest or plan staff training to fulfil such needs as well as provide on the job training and coaching/mentoring.
- Ensure that staff participate in the development of project weekly/monthly work plans.
- Work closely with project manager to support partners to manage their day-to-day activities and staff performance
- At all times ensure the safety and security of all Project staff in line with CARE COs policies and procedures.
Job Responsibility #4 Program Development % 10 of time
- Contribute to development of new programs and to preparation of proposals and budgets.
- Support the development of WASH & shelter assessment reports to be shared with the wider humanitarian community.
- Support the development of project reports for donors, as needed.
- Support the development of proposals, concept notes, and participate in program design
- Bachelor's degree in a civil engineering or relevant field and equivalent.
- 3-4 years of experience managing humanitarian projects in the field.
- At least 3 years of experience with managing WASH and Shelter projects.
- Experience with data management, especially in analysis of large sets of data and in data illustration
- Experience with electronic data collection systems.
- Experience with monitoring and evaluation activities and principles
- Sensitivity to cultural differences and the ability to work effectively across a wide variety of cultural contexts
- Ability to present concise reports, reflecting the problems and possible solutions
- Experience in facilitating training sessions
- Good communication and interpersonal skills.
- Understanding of the importance of gender and participation in Humanitarian work.
- Ability to work effectively under stress in emergency situations.
- Strong computer program skills (Microsoft Office including Word, Excel and Outlook
- Remote management of programs
- Monitoring and evaluation of remote programs
- Experience working with /through implementing partners
- Experience with remote management
- Ability to develop and foster external organizational relationships and applied representation skills.
- Strong understanding of humanitarian coordination systems
- Experience leading assessments and preparing high quality assessment reports
- Some experience with electronic data collection systems (ie ODK)
- Understanding of northern Syria crisis and context
- Advanced written and spoken English Language skills.
- Strong facilitation skills, including the design and management of effective trainings, workshops and meetings with diverse participants.
- Strong skills in written communication, including effective report writing
- Strong skills in inter-personal communications, able to work effectively with multiple stakeholders in a complex, multi-actor environment.
- Sensitivity to cultural differences and the ability to work effectively across a wide variety of cultural contexts.
- Strong team player, able to develop and maintain effective working relationships within a distributed and dynamic team.
- Competence with MS Office applications, including Word, Excel and Outlook.
- Strong coaching, training and mentoring skills.
- Gender awareness and commitment to gender equality
- Arabic language skills highly desired.
Child Protection Policy
Child abuse in all forms is unacceptable to CARE Turkey, which recognizes its responsibility to protect children from harm in all areas of its work. CARE Turkey is committed to ensuring a child-safe environment and is applying a zero-tolerance approach towards any kind of child abuse and exploitation.
Discrimination, Abuse and Harassment Policy
CARE Turkey expressly prohibits and will not tolerate any form of discrimination, abuse, harassment (sexual or otherwise), based upon race, ethnicity, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, marital status, citizenship status, disability, or military status. CARE employees and related personnel must under no circumstances take part in any form of discrimination, harassment, or abuse (physical, sexual or verbal), intimidation or exploitation, or in any other way infringe the rights of others inside or outside CARE.
Employment is subject to the possession of valid identification documents (passport, residency card, temporary protection card, etc.) and successfully obtaining permission to work by the Government of Turkey (work permit). CARE will submit the work permit application on behalf of the selected candidate after the job offer accepted. Candidate can start to work for CARE only after the work permit is received. Failure to provide the required documents or rejection of a work permit application by the Government of Turkey will result in your employment offer being rescinded.
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested candidates, please attach a Curriculum Vitae in English and a Cover letter (in a separate file of no more than one A4 page) describing how your skills and experience match the requirements of this post, following to provided link when you click on the apply button.
Applications in languages other than English will not be reviewed.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted
** CARE International is an Equal Opportunity Employer **
** Female candidates are encouraged to apply! **