Vacancy Notice Number:
Ankara – Turkey
Deadline of Applications:
29 January 2021
Number of Vacant positions
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
The following is a call to carry out a consultancy for the International Organization for Migration (IOM) in the framework of the project funded by the UK FCDO: “Public-Private Partnerships: Facilitating Legal Pathways for the International Labour Force in Turkey Project” (PPP Project).
1. The selected consultant will be responsible for providing advisory services on the implementation of the Communication and Visibility Plan and supporting the development and implementation of knowledge management and learning aspects of the piloting of the project communication tools. Within this scope, communication consultant will serve under the direct supervision of the IOM Labour Mobility and Human Development (LHD) Head of Unit and will work closely with DGILF.
The Project is built upon many years of experience by DGILF and IOM Turkey working together to contribute to the Government of Turkey’s strategic priorities in the labour migration sector. DGILF and IOM aim to; i) facilitate dialogue between public and private partners to promote regular labour migration, including regularization of existing migrant workers in employment, and mitigate risks stemming from informal employment practices, ii)increase inter-institutional cooperation related to sustainable labour market integration of migrants with diverse status , iii) enhance preventive labour inspection and guidance practices for migrant workers. Within this scope, the project will build upon previous IOM-DGILF- efforts to contribute to the Government of Turkey’s efforts in developing a comprehensive labour migration management system in line with national frameworks.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
Description of the assignment
- Main objective: Support the implementation of the communication and visibility activities of the PPP Project
- Requested services: The consultant is envisaged to work with LHD Unit to capture and share project progress and results, and disseminate this information as appropriate through the following:
Communications, Visibility and Knowledge Management
- Prepare the communication and visibility plan that will specify visibility activities within the programme and their timeframes, roles and responsibilities of different actors, target audience and the main communication tools and products to be used during the programme implementation; Develope and edit the content of information and promotional materials, including press releases, press kits, promotional leaflets, brochures, information packages, if needed including cooperation with a graphic designer on their layout and graphics.
- Design relevant visuals of the project and getting feedback and approval of the project partners; Turkish Ministry of Family, Labour and Social Services and IOM.
- Support production of written and visual outreach and awareness-raising materials including logo, infographics, videos, posters, badges, reminder cards, USB, notebooks, booklets, business cards, flags, folders, pens, swallowtail flags, roll-up in different languages and other necessary visual tools.
- Ensure regular media coverage of programme’s activities (including press releases, press conferences, photo coverage, videos, short movies and interviews, etc.)
- Develop short stories/best practice stories and articles to be published in newspapers/magazines/online platforms.
- Prepare materials for printing in line with IOM editorial and visual guidelines, advising on print solutions, coordinating with printer and ensuring delivery of final error-free agreed materials.
- Assist in promoting the LHD portfolio on social media such as IOM Facebook, Twitter and other relevant networks and websites.
- Develop a knowledge management and learning plan for capturing and disseminating project progress, results and learning from the piloting process.
- Develop and design timely, targeted and efficiently communicated knowledge products.
- Effectively monitore and evaluate various communication tools and activities, to measure the impact on achieving the overall objective.
- Submission of one interim and a final report.
- Perform other duties as may be assigned.
Deliverables: The consultant is required to provide IOM with the following deliverables:
- A workplan for developing key visibility and communications laid out in 1.2. of these ToRs;
- A knowledge management plan and tools related to the PPP Project
- Key communication and visibility activities in line with the project workplan and as laid out in 1.2. of these ToRs.
The above deliverables should be coordinated and submitted to IOM in electronic version. All deliverables and tasks under this assignment will be performed in English.
- Advanced degree in journalism, political science, social science, public affairs, public relations, development studies, communications, or other relevant fields.
- A Masters or above university degree in in development, international relations, journalism, communication or related area.
- At least 5 years of relevant experience in international development, project management, advocacy, or communications.
- Experience working with UN agencies and familiarity with EU and UN processes related to international development and the SDGs.
- Excellent drafting and coordination skills.
- Experience working on EU-funded projects in the field of migration and development an advantage.
- Ability to gather and organize information and resources, compile data, and to synthesize knowledge from diverse sources of information.
- Strong inter-personal skills, communication, networking and team-building skills;
- Solid understanding of migration issues.
- Working experience with International Organizations is desirable.
- Fluent command of Turkish and working knowledge of English.
- Proven experience of photography and videography skills, MS Office application (Word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint) and desktop publishing software, knowledge and skill in graphic design is a plus.
- Excellent command in the use of Adobe Premier Pro, Photoshop, Lightroom, Audition and proficiency in Illustrator, InDesign
- Experience in designing publications, developing promotional materials including photoshop, infographics etc.
- Experience in covering public events, creating human interest stories, photo essays and video stories.
- Knowledge of technical aspects involved in the production of different public information, education and communication (IEC) materials. Willingness to assume duties and responsibilities in all communications areas, as needed
- Proven ability to design effective communication products, lead formulation of communication messages and strategies.
- Experience or knowledge of marketing and/or copywriting and copyediting
- Proven analytical, interpersonal, and organizational skills.
- Excellent report drafting skills.
- Fluency in English and Turkish is required.
- Working knowledge of Arabic is advantageous.
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioral indicators level 1
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
Please be advised that this is a local position and as such only applications from candidates with a valid residence / working permit residing in Turkey will be considered. The approval of current employer (If applicable) is necessary for holding this position and advance written permission from current employer is necessary before assigned duties.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates are requested to submit their application including the most recent CV with a cover letter in English with contact details (name, position, phone and e-mail details) of three references by indicating name of the position applied with its VN number and the city applied for in the subject line of the e-mail or to IOM Birlik Mahallesi Sehit Kurbani Akboga Sok. No:24 06610, Çankaya, Ankara Turkey by the end of 29 January 2021.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
With 165 member states, a further 8 states holding observer status and offices in over 100 countries, IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM works to help ensure the orderly and humane management of migration, to promote international cooperation on migration issues, to assist in the search for practical solutions to migration problems and to provide humanitarian assistance to migrants in need, including refugees and internally displaced people.
The IOM Constitution recognizes the link between migration and economic, social and cultural development, as well as to the right of freedom of movement.