SKL-International is looking for a Communication Officer for the Turkey component of the Resilience in Local Governance Project (RESLOG), focused on municipalities in areas of migration, integration and resilience. The project is financed by the Swedish Government as part of its regional support policies for the Syrian crisis. In Turkey, the project is working with selected unions of municipalities, municipalities and other local actors.
The overall objective of the programme in Turkey is to contribute to enhanced policy framework, improved dialogue, and strategic capacity for sustainable and resilient local governance in Turkey. The purpose of the programme encompasses
- contributing to developing national migration policies that reflect local realities and needs,
- strengthening inter-municipal learning and support structures through regional unions, and
- improving integrated planning and holistic governance at the municipal level.
The project is managed by a project office based in Ankara, Turkey. Overall project management is through SKL-International’s head office in Stockholm, who oversees the Turkish component, as well as a component implemented in Lebanon.
About SKL International
SKL International is an affiliate of the Swedish Association of Local Authorities and Regions (SALAR), an organisation that represents the municipalities and regions of Sweden. SKL International manages international development projects in the areas of local governance and local democracy, decentralisation, and local service delivery. Our work is mostly financed by the Swedish government as part of its international development cooperation. More info is on our website at www.sklinternational.se.
Services and Availability
Under the direct supervision of the National Project Manager, the Communications Officer will provide effective communication strategies, tools and products by working directly with the RESLOG Turkey staff, project partners and local stakeholders to capture compelling highlights and project wins.
General Communications (Content development, overseeing, editing and revising):
- Acquire and maintain a detailed knowledge of SKL International and RESLOG Turkey principles and strategies, contribute and improve visibility of RESLOG and ensure visibility materials and outreach are up-to-date.
- Develop and implement a project communication strategy
- Adhere to the RESLOG Turkey’s corporate identity guide. Revise, improve and update the guideline as needed
- Produce/Oversee the effective utilization of the communication tools throughout the project
- Produce/Oversee the production of communication materials for presentations: narrative text, infographics, selection of photos and sound clips etc.
- Oversee the development of templates/layout of graphic material / website / online material to ensure a common identity
- Edit, revise and update visibility products together with the graphic designer, ensuring high quality and error free production
- Establish and maintain public relations
- Establish and maintain media outreach including and but not limited to press releases, press conferences
- Contribute to planning of project events
- Communicate with internal and external project partners, stakeholders
- Perform other related duties as requested by the RESLOG Turkey National Project Manager
Website and Social Media (content development):
- Content management of the RESLOG website
- Manage RESLOG’s social media platforms - YouTube, Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn and Twitter
- Excellent communications and networking skills;
- Working effectively as part of a team;
- Strong interpersonal and negotiating skills;
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment;
- Sound judgment and discretion.
- Ability to choose the most appropriate terminology to meet the needs of the subject matter and to express ideas cogently and efficiently.
- Excellent reporting skills
- Computer skills, including MS Office Suite (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook)
- Resident in Ankara, Turkey and can work at the project office
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise:
- Communicates effectively in writing to a varied and broad audience in a simple and concise manner;
- Has demonstrable knowledge in the fundamental concepts of effective communication and visibility campaigns
- Has experience developing visibility products
- Has general familiarity of working with local and central government actors; and knowledge in current developments in the field of migration and development in general.
- Knowledge of social development and overall social, cultural and economic context in target project provinces.
- Has applicable experience in partner and media relations
- Demonstrates strong oral and written communication skills;
- Communicates effectively with staff at all levels of the organization;
- Acts with tact and diplomacy;
Required Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field, preferably in communications, journalism or demonstrated job experience in the field communication and public relations
- At least 5 years professional experience in communications and visibility
- Experience with website and graphic design is an asset
- Experience in content development and management of social media accounts
- Experience in working with national and/or international media is an asset
Excellent oral, written and presentation skills in English and Turkish
How to apply
The assignment is expected to start in September 2020. Interested applicants should submit a CV and a letter of interest describing the applicant’s suitability for the position no later than 20 August 2020 with ref: CO–RESLOG TURKEY.
Please note that only candidates considered for an interview will be further contacted.
SKL International is an affiliate of the Swedish Association of Local Authorities and Regions (SALAR), an organisation that represents the municipalities and regions of Sweden. SKL International manages international development projects in the areas of local governance and local democracy, decentralisation, and local service delivery. Our work is mostly financed by the Swedish government as part of its international development cooperation.More info is on our website at www.sklinternational.se.