General description of the programme:
GOAL an International Humanitarian Organisation has had a presence in Turkey since 2013 and has been contributing to the migrant response since 2016 with a focus on responding to needs in health service delivery, social safety nets and the protection of vulnerable and marginalised migrants in southern Turkey.
GOAL has been working in Syria since 2013, responding to the acute needs of conflict-affected communities. GOAL is working in Idleb Governate, both through direct implementation and through partners, delivering food, non-food programming to highly vulnerable populations, and provision of Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) through support to Water units, as well as emergency support to recently displaced households.
GOAL has been working in North Aleppo Governate since 2019, through direct implementation and through partners, delivering food, non-food programming to highly vulnerable populations, as well as emergency support for recently displaced household.
GOAL has two projects (ECHO funded LINK and PRM funded GREEN) in Turkey, LINK program targets refugees from nomadic / semi-nomadic backgrounds and those engaged in seasonal agricultural labor. LINK has been designed to address and mitigate protection concerns of the vulnerable / marginalized refugees through provision of critical information and raising their awareness on their rights, obligations and services available in Turkey, by sensitization/advocacy (targeting key stakeholders and service providers, etc.) activities, and Individual Protection Assistance (IPA) services to enable highly vulnerable refugees to access to basic, social and protective services available under the provisions of Temporary and International Protection regulations in Turkey. On the other hand, Green program aims to improve socioeconomic inclusion, resilience and self-sufficiency of highly vulnerable/excluded women and girls from host and refugee communities (Syrians as well as those living in program locations under the international protection regulation) including nomadic communities and seasonal agriculture workers from both communities through integrated and market driven livelihood opportunities and protection services, including language courses and vocational skills training on greenhouse production and agriculture; case management (CM)/coaching services, establishment of a women cooperative, protection outreach, information provision and awareness raising; and provision of special needs and individual protection assistance services.
This is a temporary ‘surge support’ role that would suit a communications and media specialist with some experience in content management and strong skills in production coordination, project administration, and external relations. The successful candidate will be offered a five-month contract which may be extended for one or two months. There is no expectation of contract extension or renewal beyond June 2023 or of continuing appointment.
The Communications and Media Officer will be responsible for the day-to-day coordination of the execution of GOAL Syria’s “large-scale project communication plan” under an EU-funded humanitarian Emergency Response programme GOAL is implementing between June 2022 and June 2023. This will include planning, overseeing, and administering the acquisition and editing of visual and audio-visual content about GOAL’s activities in Northwest Syria in cooperation with a field-based team of GOAL staff and with the support of contracted consultants and/or companies as well as managing, in coordination with Head Office colleagues, the publication and dissemination of content packages through digital platforms and in-person events.
The successful candidate will also take part in the management of GOAL Syria’s public information initiatives more generally and will contribute to the development, editing, and packaging of field-sourced content for purposes of internal and external reporting.
Duties, objectives and competencies
Coordination and Administration (50%)
- Under the close supervision of the Communications and Media Manager, lead the overall scheduling and the day-to-day traffic of the acquisition, editing, packaging, and dissemination of visual and audio-visual content.
- Coordinating the operation of contracted consultants and/or companies, managing their content acquisition and/or editing activities in line with GOAL Syria’s policies and programmes.
- Support the GOAL Head Office Communications Team with the organization of an in-person exhibition and exhibition-opening event in Ireland, including the coordination of targeted promotion and media outreach.
- Oversee the design and development of a collection of webpages.
Content Management (30%)
- Retrieve, filter, categorize, subtitle, share, and archive visual and audio-visual material.
- Produce small content packages for social media and other platforms.
Content Development and Production (20%)
- Help with the coordination of content development and acquisition processes.
- Assist with content editing and formatting.
- Holding citizenship of Turkey (for Ankara-based applicants) or citizen of Jordan (for Amman-based applicants).
- Bachelor’s degree in a communications or media discipline.
- At least 1 year of work experience in a similar role or in similar roles.
- Strong planning, coordination, and administration skills.
- Experience in the development, production, editing, and management of visual and audio-visual content, gained through formal education, freelance work, or employment.
- Technical prowess in media sharing and archiving, including knowledge of video file types and compression codecs.
- Basic photographic image adjustment and video assembly and editing skills.
- Understanding of web design, with some hands-on experience in wireframing and/or html editing software.
- Advanced listening, speaking, and writing skills in English.
- Good audio-visual production and post-production skills.
- Media writing skills.
- Experience in the humanitarian sector.
- Intermediate or advanced spoken and written Arabic.
- Master’s degree in a communications or media discipline.
- Coordination and organization skills, including the ability to manage complex workflows.
- Business relationship management skills, including the ability to negotiate production timelines.
- Technological skills, including the capacity to quickly learn new software.
- Detail-oriented approach to work.
Interested? Then apply for this position via clicking on the "apply now" button and fill out the application form. All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages). Both must be in English. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Application deadline is 16 December 2022 .
General terms and conditions
Children and vulnerable adults a must be safeguarded to the maximum possible extent from deliberate or inadvertent actions and failings that place them at risk of abuse, sexual exploitation, injury and any other harm. One of the ways that GOAL shows this on-going commitment to safeguarding is to include rigorous background and reference checks in the selection process for all candidates.
Accountability within GOAL
Alongside our safeguarding policy, GOAL is an equal opportunities employer and has a set of integrity policies. Any candidate offered a job with GOAL will be expected to adhere to the following key areas of accountability:
- Comply with GOAL’s policies and procedures with respect to safeguarding, Code of Conduct, health and safety, data protection and confidentiality, do no harm principles and unacceptable behaviour protocols.
- Report any concerns about the welfare of a child or vulnerable adult or any wrongdoings within our programming area.
- Report any concerns about inappropriate behaviour of a GOAL staff or partner.
This Job Description only serves as a guide for the position available. GOAL reserves the right to change this document. Any published closing dates are estimated. Due to the nature of GOAL’s work we aim to fill vacancies as quickly as possible. This means that we will close adverts as soon as we have found the right candidate and this may be before the published closing date. We would therefore advise interested applicants to submit an application as early as possible.
GOAL has been working in Syria since 2013, responding to the acute needs of conflict-affected communities. GOAL is working in Idleb Governate, both through direct implementation and through partners, delivering food, non-food programming to highly vulnerable populations, and provision of Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) through support to Water units, as well as emergency support to recently displaced households. GOAL worked in Turkey in 2015-2016 to respond to the Health needs of Syrians in Turkey and will resume programming in Turkey in 2018 with a focus on Protection needs.