Vacancy Notice Number:
6 months Special Short Term Graded Contract (G5)– with possible extension
Deadline of Applications:
28 October 2020
Number of People to be hired
Internal and External Candidates
For more than 6 years the conflict inside Syria remained unresolved and the heavy fighting between the government and opposition forces continued throughout the country causing both destruction and division resulting in massive humanitarian needs across Syria as well as massive displacement of the population. The number of people in need of assistance has grown to over 13.5 million, including 6.5 million internally displaced persons.
3.9 million Syrian refugees are living in neighbouring countries, with over 2.7 million in Turkey. While over 260,000 Syrians are living in 25 camps across Turkey, the remaining 2.5 million (accounting for 90%) live outside of camps in urban and rural areas throughout the country.
Under the overall supervision of the Public Information Officer (PI Officer) and direct supervision of the Communications Officer, the successful candidate will be responsible for developing communications and multimedia materials to raise the profile IOM’s refugee and cross-border programs.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Support the development and implementation of IOM’s local visibility guidelines, under the guidance of the Public Information Officer.
- Conceptualize, develop and package information and promotional materials on IOM’s work for external and donor audiences (e.g. brochures, program summaries, briefing kits, videos, etc.)
- Under the guidance of the Public Information Officer, support the development and/or formatting of internal communications materials including templates, documents, sit reps, reports, etc.
- Support the in the collection and production of Human Interest stories, photographs and video clips for projects and partners.
- Support the development and/or formatting of internal communications materials, info-graphics including templates, documents, sit reps, reports, etc.
- Routine capacity building, mentorship and coaching for Implementing Partners to improve quality of visual documentation such as pictures, videos etc.
- Drafting and production of communications materials (human interest stories, photos, videos) for use in IOM internal and external communication channels, including for the IOM Regional Office Vienna.
- Translate programmatic materials between English, Arabic and Turkish, as required.
- Support event planning and implementation
- Perform other duties as may be assigned.
- University degree in Journalism or Communication, development communication, social sciences, or a related field from an accredited academic institution, with three years of relevant professional experience; or
- Completed High school degree from an accredited academic institution, with five years of relevant professional experience.
- Proven experience in communications and media work, preferably with a development NGO
- Proven experience of photography and videography skills, MS office application (Word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint) and desktop publishing software, knowledge and skill in graphic design a plus.
- Excellent command in the use of Adobe Premier Pro, Photoshop, Lightroom, Audition and proficiency in Illustrator, Indesign
- Experience in designing publications, developing promotional materials including photo shop, info graphics etc.
- Experience in covering public events, creating human interest stories, photo essays and video stories.
- Strong, working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point, and familiarity with using social media networks
- Multi lingual language skills – Turkish, English and Arabic. Experience in translating documents and meetings between the above three languages including strong written skills for both Arabic and English
- Knowledge of technical aspects involved in the production of different public IEC materials. Willingness to assume duties and responsibilities in all communications areas, as needed
- Proven ability to design effective communication products, lead formulation of communication messages and strategies;
- Experience or knowledge of marketing and/or copywriting and copyediting
- Fluency in English and Arabic is required.
- Working knowledge of Turkish is advantageous.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity:
- Shows respect and sensitivity towards gender, culture, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, political conviction and other differences.
- Encourages the inclusion of all team members and stakeholders while demonstrating the ability to work constructively with people with different backgrounds and orientations.
- Promotes the benefits of diversity; values diverse points of view and demonstrate this in daily work and decision making.
- Challenges prejudice, biases and intolerance in the workplace.
- Integrity and transparency:
- Upholds and promotes the Standards of Conduct and Unified Staff Regulations and Rules.
- Delivers on commitments; manages the organization’s resources reliably and sustainably.
- Embraces and encourages transparency, balancing this with the need for discretion and confidentiality as appropriate.
- Maintains impartiality and takes prompt action in cases of unprofessional or unethical behaviour.
- Does not abuse one’s position and acts without consideration of personal gain. Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns.
- Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter and willingness to improve knowledge and skills.
- Seeks to raise professional standards in self and others through daily work and activities.
- Adapts quickly to change and is decisive and versatile in face of uncertainty.
- Shows self-control and persistence when faced with difficult problems and remains calm in stressful situations.
- Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 1
- Teamwork: Establishes strong relationships with colleagues and partners; relates well to people at all levels.
- Is fully aware of the team purpose, respects and understands individual and collective responsibilities.
- Willingly puts in extra effort without being asked and adopts a "hands-on" approach whenever necessary to achieve team objectives.
- Coordinates own work with that of the team to meet agreed priorities and deadlines.
- Delivering Results:
- Produces quality results and provides quality services to clients.
- Meets goals and timelines for delivery of products or services.
- Manages time and resources efficiently, monitoring progress and making adjustments as necessary.
- Shows understanding of own role and responsibilities in relation to expected results.
- Managing and sharing knowledge:
- Keeps abreast of new developments in own field of competence and creates opportunities for knowledge management initiatives.
- Shares knowledge and learning willingly, and proactively seeks to learn from the experiences of others.
- Puts new learning into practice and draws on diverse sources of ideas and inspiration.
- Contributes to the identification of improvements to work processes and assists in implementing them.
- Accepts personal responsibility for quality and timeliness of work.
- Takes ownership of all responsibilities within own role and honours commitments to others and to the Organization.
- Operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules.
- Accepts and gives constructive criticism; acknowledges and corrects mistakes and apply lessons learned for improvement.
- Presents information using language and sequence of ideas that is easy for recipients to understand.
- Adapts communication to the recipient’s needs, asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication.
- Encourages others to share their views, using active listening to demonstrate openness and to build understanding of different perspectives.
- Listens carefully and genuinely to the views and positions of others; acts on received information.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
Please be advised that this is a local position and as such only applications from candidates with a valid residence / working permit residing in Turkey will be considered.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates are requested to submit their application including the most recent CV with a cover letter in English with contact details (name, position, phone and e-mail details) of three references by indicating name of the position applied with its VN number in the subject line of the e-mail by the end of 28 October 2020.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
With 165 member states, a further 8 states holding observer status and offices in over 100 countries, IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM works to help ensure the orderly and humane management of migration, to promote international cooperation on migration issues, to assist in the search for practical solutions to migration problems and to provide humanitarian assistance to migrants in need, including refugees and internally displaced people.
The IOM Constitution recognizes the link between migration and economic, social and cultural development, as well as to the right of freedom of movement.
- Migrant Service Assistant
- Communications Assistant (Videographer/Photographer)
- Senior Project Assistant (Beneficiary Data Management)
- Project Assistant (WASH)
- On Call Project Assistant (Livelihood)
- Senior Monitoring and Evaluation Assistant
- MEAL Assistant (Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning)
- Senior Project Assistant (Psychosocial Support)
- MEAL Assistant (Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning)
- Project Assistant (Case Management)
- Project Assistant (Social Work)
- Project Assistant (Outreach)
- Project Assistant (Recovery and Stabilization)