Vacancy Notice Number:
One-Year Fixed Term Graded Contract (G7) -with possible extension
Deadline of Applications:
6 June 2019
Number of Vacant Positions:
The IOM is the only international inter-governmental agency with a specific mandate for migration and is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing technical expertise to governments, migrants and host communities through a wide range of sustainable solutions contributing to end forced migration and/or improve displacement conditions. IOM has also a leading role in the Camp Coordination and Camp Management (CCCM) Cluster, participates in coordinated humanitarian responses, and engages in inter-agency collaboration to meet the needs of affected-persons and contribute to their protection.
The conflict and violence in Syria has continued to create surges of people crossing the borders from Syria into neighbouring countries. The number of Syrians registered or awaiting registration in host countries has surpassed 5 million and 6.2 million have been displaced inside Syria. Host governments and humanitarian actors, including IOM, are providing relief assistance and protection to this extremely vulnerable population living with host families and in increasingly crowded camps and settlements.
As a member of the UN Humanitarian Country Team in Syria and all concerned neighbouring countries (Jordan, Lebanon, Iraq, and Turkey), the IOM Director General has activated the L3 Emergency SOPs to enhance organizational humanitarian assistance and priorities related to IDPs, refugees and returnees, and is actively participating in the emergency response within this rapidly changing humanitarian context.
As of July 2017, Turkey is hosting over 3 million Syrian refugees. About 244,000 reside in 23 camps across South East Turkey and the remaining live outside of camps. In October 2014, the Government of Turkey adapted the Temporary Protection (TP) Regulation that extends protection and assistance to all Syrians in Turkey and provides refugees with rights and duties and the framework to access health care, education, and social assistance.
IOM's strategy for Turkey as indicated in the 3RP (Regional Refugee and Resilience Plan) is three-pronged; firstly, i) provision of humanitarian assistance focusing on the distribution of food, non-food items, cash vouchers, winterization, shelter rehabilitation, and provision of transportation, ii) to ease the burden on national and local structures through the establishment of multi-service community centres offering services and protection, community stabilization through improvements in public infrastructure and increase access to education and iii) supporting the resilience of refugees and host communities through livelihoods, community stabilisation and income generating activities.
Under the overall supervision of the Public Information Officer and in close coordination with Communications Assistants in Ankara and Gaziantep, the incumbent will be responsible for providing support to a wide range of IOM Turkey programs and departments including Migration Management, Refugee Response and Cross-Border in order to meet increasing demands for high quality print and digital information materials. The incumbent will work across diverse projects supporting teams during project implementation to enhance visibility and documentation efforts that contribute to IOM Turkey’s overall communications efforts and brand.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Support the Public Information Officer to implement the IOM Turkey PI Strategy including internal and external communications. Ensure that the Public Information Unit strategy, goals and deliverables are met in line with project plans, donor visibility, and IOM institutional media and communications requirements.
- Oversee the production process for all digital and print content (photos, videos, graphics, newsletters, infosheets, brochures, calendars, flyers, etc.) Ensure high-quality content that meets IOM and donor branding and design requirements. Manage the Graphic Designer and Senior Communications Assistant and coordinate with other PI team members and the Procurement department.
- Manage the content creation process for IOM Turkey’s social media platforms and website. Oversee the social media schedules and work closely with PI team members to ensure content is prepared and posted on time in English and Turkish.
- Cover IOM events and activities across Turkey -- regularly take photos, record and edit video.
- Work with the PI team to update the IOM Turkey digital content library, Portal, and website.
- Review project proposal visibility components, write visibility plans and reports, attend project launch meetings and liaise with project managers across the mission as well as the Project Development and Reporting Unit.
- Serve as the focal point for national press by maintaining IOM Turkey’s national media list. Field media requests, translate press releases into Turkish, assemble and distribute daily press updates on migration. Design and deliver trainings for national press on migration reporting in Turkish.
- Support the PI Officer in representing IOM at relevant UN Communications Group, donor, and project meetings as assigned. Liaise and follow up with these groups as needed.
- Expand IOM Turkey’s digital content by experimenting and incorporating new technologies such as animation and motion graphics.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- University degree in Media, Graphic Design, Communications or a related field from an accredited academic institution, with three years of relevant professional experience; or
- Completed High school degree from an accredited academic institution, with five years of relevant professional experience;
- Excellent knowledge of graphic design and video editing softwares;
- Proficiency with software packages, most specifically Adobe Suite (InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, Premiere Pro and After Effects) and MS Office (Publisher, PowerPoint, Visio) Tableau and any other communication software;
- Knowledge of web design tools and CMS Drupal a plus;
- Proven strong background in developing communication tools;
- Strong understanding of new and evolving technologies and digital platforms;
- Proven strong organizational skills and practical experience of how to multi-task, prioritize and work independently;
- Working experience in development or humanitarian environment is desirable
- Fluency in Turkish and English is required.
- Knowledge of Arabic is advantageous.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity:
Shows respect and sensitivity towards gender, culture, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, political conviction and other differences.
• Encourages the inclusion of all team members and stakeholders while demonstrating the ability to work constructively with people with different backgrounds and orientations.
• Promotes the benefits of diversity; values diverse points of view and demonstrate this in daily work and decision making.
• Challenges prejudice, biases and intolerance in the workplace.
- Integrity and transparency:
Upholds and promotes the Standards of Conduct and Unified Staff Regulations and Rules.
• Delivers on commitments; manages the organization’s resources reliably and sustainably.
• Embraces and encourages transparency, balancing this with the need for discretion and confidentiality as appropriate.
• Maintains impartiality and takes prompt action in cases of unprofessional or unethical behaviour.
• Does not abuse one’s position and acts without consideration of personal gain. Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns.
Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter and willingness to improve knowledge and skills.
• Seeks to raise professional standards in self and others through daily work and activities.
• Adapts quickly to change and is decisive and versatile in face of uncertainty.
• Shows self-control and persistence when faced with difficult problems and remains calm in stressful situations.
• Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Fosters a sense of team spirit by developing a shared understanding, accountability and enthusiasm for the team’s work.
• Displays a high level of cultural awareness, sensitivity to different ways of working and leverages individual strengths in order to build a better team.
• Shares credit for team accomplishments and ensures that the contribution of others is recognized.
• Helps create a positive team spirit, putting aside personal considerations to help the team achieve its goals.
- Delivering results:
•Produces high-quality results and workable solutions that meet clients’ needs.
• Anticipates constraints, identifies solutions and takes responsibility for addressing critical situations.
• Monitors own and others’ work in a systematic and effective way, ensuring required resources and outputs.
• Aligns projects with Organization’s mission and objectives and demonstrates a good understanding of the impact of team’s and own work on external and internal counterparts.
- Managing and sharing knowledge:
•Disseminates and shares knowledge openly and actively contributes to knowledge/network communities for topics relevant to area of expertise.
• Encourages knowledge-sharing across units/departments and ensures that knowledge is captured, recorded and disseminated appropriately.
• Builds networks for the effective communication and exchange of knowledge and ideas and puts others into contact with various sources of knowledge.
• Contributes to an environment that is conducive to innovation and learning.
• Proactively seeks responsibility in delivering towards the goals of the Organization.
• Plans and organizes work with a clear and deliberate focus, ensuring commitments are easily identified and progress is widely communicated.
• Stands by the actions of team or department, publicly accepting ownership.
• Takes responsibility of own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable
•Speaks and writes clearly and effectively.
• Seeks to share information with others, with due respect for diversity and the confidentiality of specific sensitive information.
• Listens and seeks to understand without bias, and responds appropriately.
• Shares information and keeps others up to date; actively seeks others' views and ideas and respects their contribution.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Assigns responsibilities fairly and manages performance, taking account of individual strengths, workloads and interests.
• Is inclusive in decision-making and actively seeks feedback from team members and colleagues in order to identify opportunities for improvement.
• Takes sound and timely managerial decisions that are consistent with the Organization's vision and purpose.
• Establishes and maintains relationships with a broad range of stakeholders to understand needs and gain support.
- Empowering others and building trust:
•Delegates appropriately to make the most of others’ talents, clarifying expectations and allowing autonomy in important areas while providing necessary support.
• Encourages others to take responsibility for their performance; promotes ownership, responsibility and accountability for desired results at all levels.
• Creates an atmosphere of trust and confidence in which others can talk and act without fear of repercussion.
• Gives proper credit to others, shows appreciation and rewards achievement and effort.
- Strategic thinking and vision:
•Aligns own actions to the Organization’s vision, values and mandate.
• Translates strategic direction into short and medium-term plans and objectives for own team; revises objectives to reflect changes in organizational goals.
• Identifies key issues/priorities in complex situations and how they may be related to one another.
• Clearly communicates links between the Organization’s strategy and the work unit’s goals.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
Please be advised that this is a local position and as such only applications from candidates with a valid residence / working permit residing in Turkey will be considered.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates are requested to submit their application including the most recent CV with a cover letter in English with contact details (name, position, phone and e-mail details) of three references by indicating name of the position applied with its VN number in the subject line of the e-mail by the end of 6 June 2019.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
With 165 member states, a further 8 states holding observer status and offices in over 100 countries, IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM works to help ensure the orderly and humane management of migration, to promote international cooperation on migration issues, to assist in the search for practical solutions to migration problems and to provide humanitarian assistance to migrants in need, including refugees and internally displaced people.
The IOM Constitution recognizes the link between migration and economic, social and cultural development, as well as to the right of freedom of movement.
- On-Call Trainer/Interpreter
- Project Assistant
- National Programme Officer (Immigration and Border Management (IBM))-re-advertised
- National Programme Officer (Immigration and Border Management (IBM))
- Senior Data Quality Control Assistant
- Data Processing Assistant
- Senior MEAL Assistant
- Senior Project Data Assistant (M and E)
- Warehouse Assistant
- HR Assistant (re-advertised)