Community Engagement and Accountability (CEA) Officer
|International Federation Of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies||Ankara|
IFRC is currently seeking an CEAOfficer to join the team in Ankara.
Under the supervision of the Community Engagement and Accountability (CEA) Team Leader, the CEA Officer will support the Turkish Red Crescent Society (TRCS) and IFRC ESSN team to enhance the impact, reach and efficiency of ESSN activities through the integration of CEA activities and approaches into the ESSN programme. This includes communication with communities, participation and feedback systems, behaviour and social change communication, and evidence-based advocacy.
The CEA Officer works under the direction and guidance of the IFRC CEA Team Leader. As a member of the CEA team, he/she will work closely together with the TRCS CEA team and the IFRC CEA Officer.
Kindly note that right to work in Turkey is a must for this position.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
Technical support to the operation
• Support assessments to be transparent, participatory and accountable, capturing people’s information needs and trusted and preferred communication channels
• Support TRC ESSN team to integrate community participation in operational planning, design, and implementation
• Provide input to existing feedback mechanisms and advice on improving efficiencies, including processes to make sure feedback is analysed and acted upon by operational teams
• Provide input on enhancing the communications systems for sharing information with affected people about Red Cross and Red Crescent services, including selection criteria.
• Support the ESSN team to increase reach and impact by advising TRC on methods to gain a deeper understanding of community perceptions, beliefs, culture, and values and to implement innovative behaviour and social change communication activities.
• Support TRC to explore ways to involve affected people in assessing the impact of the ESSN response.
• Provide input the processes for TRC that ensure women, children, older people, people with disabilities and other vulnerable groups have equal access to information channels and feedback mechanisms particular to their needs, and taking into account any specific protection issues.
• Support the IFRC CEA team leader in providing training and mentoring support to ESSN staff, working closely at all times with TRCS counterparts.
• Support the review of existing ESSN processes and develop plans to encourage the adoption and adaptation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement tools, methodologies, and activities, as defined in the CEA guide and toolkit.
Coordination, representation and reporting
• Work closely with the IFRC country office to ensure there is consistency and sustainability between CEA in the ESSN activities and other Turkey programmes.
• Contribute to the coordination of CEA activities and reporting with TRCS and IFRC counterparts.
• Provide input to feedback mechanisms and two-way communication processes and work with TRC counterparts to ensure they are continued across ESSN activities, with adequate capacity to given for data analysis.
• Support ESSN team to include CEA data in existing Information Management systems and platforms so it can be used to inform decision-making processes at strategic and operational levels.
• Support evidence-based learning by assessing and monitoring levels of community engagement through research, impact surveys, perception studies and case studies.
Support the positioning and visibility of Red Cross and Red Crescent CEA achievements and share data with the wider humanitarian network to inform and influence the overall response.
- University degree (in Communication or Social/Behavioural Sciences i.e. Sociology, Anthropology, Psychology or Health Education) or relevant experience is required.
- Two years of experience working in community engagement and accountability initiatives, communication for development or social mobilisation in Turkey for a humanitarian or development organisation
- Experience of working as part of a team responding to complex humanitarian emergencies
- Experience setting up and managing accountability to communities’ systems. For example, feedback and complaints mechanisms, rumour tracking systems, or participatory planning processes.
- Experience of designing and implementing assessments, community consultations, research and/or focus groups discussions.
Knowledge, skills and languages
- Experience setting up and managing tools for communicating with communities. For example, radio programmes, TV shows, SMS systems, community committees, social mobilisation or mobile cinemas and community dramas etc.
- Experience in planning targeted and appropriate behaviour change communication strategies.
- Experience of coaching, training and developing National Society staff and volunteers in order to build long-term capacity and create ownership
- Experience working with Red Cross/Red Crescent National Societies.
- Fluently spoken and written English and Turkish
- Fluently spoken and written Arabic
Competencies and values
- Good planning skills, with the ability to identify areas for improvements in operations through the integration of CEA approaches and activities.
- Good understanding of – or training in – current developments in the field of communication with communities, behavioural and social sciences, or community engagement and accountability, community media
- Good knowledge of gender and diversity issues
- Team player, with the ability to coordinate and engage others and build good working relationships with internal and external partners.
- Highly motivated proactive self-starter, able to set and achieve goals using own initiative
- Strong written, presentation, facilitation and training skills.
- Good knowledge of the socio-cultural background of affected populations and capacity to practice political and cultural sensitivity
- Willing to travel extensively to support field operations.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and networking skills.
The Federation is an equal opportunity employer.