Vacancy Notice Number:
Community Support Counsellor
Adana – Turkey
3 months Special Short Term Ungraded Contract– with possible extension
Deadline of Applications:
28 May 2019
Number of People to be hired
Internal and External Candidates
Under the overall supervision of the National Project Officer (MA&MM) in Gaziantep and direct supervisor of the Project Field Coordinator in Adana, the incumbent will be responsible in providing support in project implementation and reporting on the children’s activities and project’s support component on the Municipality Center in Adana.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Identify the families/individual needs through the migrant center, field and family visits, focus groups. Provide social support to the migrant and refugee population including awareness raising, social activities, counselling services, current regulations and other topics as requested by communities. Refer them to the relevant organizations or IOM units especially health, education and social services counselling units as required.
- Identify vulnerable children and conduct sessions on special education and do outreach in neighborhood to increase access of children with disabilities or disadvantages to the center.
- Organize sessions for children and families regarding awareness of opportunities for children with special needs and learning disabilities.
- Organize support groups and forums for the migrant population and host communities as required.
- Organize child care room activities and follow up its implementation.
- Prepare materials needed for family support sessions, recreational and rights-based activities for children, community mobilization, awareness sessions and informal education activities.
- Assist with the planning, organization and logistical arrangement of activities, and field trips for children and families
- Ensure proper case management for the applicants in need of relevant services
- Contribute to organization of briefings, trainings and preparation of informative materials.
- Meet and liaise with the local public authorities especially RAM Centers (counselling and research centers), follow up and refer relevant institutions and civil society organizations in order to improve access,
- Follow-up with each case achievements and attendance to the center activities
- Regularly report migrants and refugees' common needs in access to counselling services,
- Work closely with other counsellors, interpreters, volunteers of the Center and other stakeholders.
- Organize awareness raising, capacity building activities to service providers such as guidance teachers, RAM personnel in Adana
- Report challenges and progress recorded in realization of duties,
- Keep and save all project related documents, monthly reports and its supporting documents in file,
- Enter project related data regularly and accurately to the database system,
- Ensure effective referral mechanism to the relevant public authorities, IOM, UN agencies, other NGOs, center’s counsellors and follow up the referrals,
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
- University degree in special education, guidance and counselling, social work, sociology, or a related field from an accredited academic institution, with three years of relevant professional experience; or
- Completed High school degree from an accredited academic institution, with five years of relevant professional experience.
- Experience in humanitarian aid field and in working with vulnerable groups;
- Experience in working with children, child protection, case management, outreach;
- Good communicational, analytical, interpersonal, team worker and organizational skills;
- Good level of computer literacy;
- Residing or willing to reside in Adana.
- Fluency in Turkish is required.
- Knowledge of English and Arabic is an advantage.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity:
Shows respect and sensitivity towards gender, culture, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, political conviction and other differences.
• Encourages the inclusion of all team members and stakeholders while demonstrating the ability to work constructively with people with different backgrounds and orientations.
• Promotes the benefits of diversity; values diverse points of view and demonstrate this in daily work and decision making.
• Challenges prejudice, biases and intolerance in the workplace.
- Integrity and transparency:
Upholds and promotes the Standards of Conduct and Unified Staff Regulations and Rules.
• Delivers on commitments; manages the organization’s resources reliably and sustainably.
• Embraces and encourages transparency, balancing this with the need for discretion and confidentiality as appropriate.
• Maintains impartiality and takes prompt action in cases of unprofessional or unethical behaviour.
• Does not abuse one’s position and acts without consideration of personal gain. Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns.
Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter and willingness to improve knowledge and skills.
• Seeks to raise professional standards in self and others through daily work and activities.
• Adapts quickly to change and is decisive and versatile in face of uncertainty.
• Shows self-control and persistence when faced with difficult problems and remains calm in stressful situations.
• Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results.
Core Competencies – behavioral indicators level 1
- Teamwork: Establishes strong relationships with colleagues and partners; relates well to people at all levels.
• Is fully aware of the team purpose, respects and understands individual and collective responsibilities.
• Willingly puts in extra effort without being asked and adopts a "hands-on" approach whenever necessary to achieve team objectives.
• Coordinates own work with that of the team to meet agreed priorities and deadlines.
- Delivering Results:
•Produces quality results and provides quality services to clients.
• Meets goals and timelines for delivery of products or services.
• Manages time and resources efficiently, monitoring progress and making adjustments as necessary.
• Shows understanding of own role and responsibilities in relation to expected results.
- Managing and sharing knowledge:
•Keeps abreast of new developments in own field of competence and creates opportunities for knowledge management initiatives.
• Shares knowledge and learning willingly, and proactively seeks to learn from the experiences of others.
• Puts new learning into practice and draws on diverse sources of ideas and inspiration.
• Contributes to the identification of improvements to work processes and assists in implementing them.
•Accepts personal responsibility for quality and timeliness of work.
• Takes ownership of all responsibilities within own role and honours commitments to others and to the Organization.
• Operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules.
• Accepts and gives constructive criticism; acknowledges and corrects mistakes and apply lessons learned for improvement.
•Presents information using language and sequence of ideas that is easy for recipients to understand.
• Adapts communication to the recipient’s needs, asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication.
• Encourages others to share their views, using active listening to demonstrate openness and to build understanding of different perspectives.
• Listens carefully and genuinely to the views and positions of others; acts on received information.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
Please be advised that this is a local position and as such only applications from candidates with a valid residence / working permit residing in Turkey will be considered.
With 165 member states, a further 8 states holding observer status and offices in over 100 countries, IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM works to help ensure the orderly and humane management of migration, to promote international cooperation on migration issues, to assist in the search for practical solutions to migration problems and to provide humanitarian assistance to migrants in need, including refugees and internally displaced people.
The IOM Constitution recognizes the link between migration and economic, social and cultural development, as well as to the right of freedom of movement.
- Project Assistant
- Operations Assistant
- Senior Project Assistant (CCCM)
- National Programme Officer (Immigration and Border Management (IBM))
- On-call Child Care Room Facilitator
- Senior Project Assistant (Protection)
- Senior Project Assistant (Shelter and WASH)
- Senior Project Assistant (Shelter)
- Project Assistant (CBCM)
- On call Cleaner
- Project Support Clerk (Education)
- Senior Outreach and Liaison Assistant (PSEA Network)
- Senior Project Assistant (Capacity Building)
- Nurse Medical Escort (On-Call Basis)
- Migration Health Nurse (On-Call Basis)
- On-Call Trainer/Interpreter
- Communications Specialist
- Finance Assistant (Compliance)
- Senior Project Assistant (Protection Psychosocial Support)
- On-Call Interpreter
- On-call Translator (Arabic-Turkish)
- Field Assistant (Quality Control)