Vacancy Notice Number:
Consultant (Fablab Specialist)
Gaziantep – Turkey
Deadline of Applications:
29 January 2021
Number of Vacant positions
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Under the administrative overall supervision of the Information Management Officer in Gaziantep, technical supervision of the Information Technology Officer based in Ankara and direct supervision of National ITC Officer in Gaziantep, the incumbent will be responsible in providing technical support and services to all visitors in Resilience Innovation Center- FabLab located in Gaziantep University.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Leads staff, interns, and volunteers working in the Fab Lab and manages their training on the use of the Fab Lab software, computers, and manufacturing equipment.
- Collaborates with the Fab Lab Executive Director(s) to promote the lab in the community.
- Serves as a champion for the Fab Lab by promoting the opportunities available through various venues in the area and maintain partnerships with external organizations.
- Establishes protocols for safe and effective use of the lab; monitors and maintains optional safety conditions in the lab.
- Maintains the equipment, manages supply inventory, and manages the budget.
- Schedules and provides supervision of the lab and its staff and volunteers.
- Operates the Fab Lab on a day-to-day basis and mentors students, teachers and community members by assisting them with their projects and ideas.
- Assists administrators, teachers, students, and community members by providing professional development opportunities in the area of fabrication technology.
- Coordinate, supervise and ensure a regular schedule of workshops
- Maintain current relationships with professors and seek new topics and partnerships with university departments
- Design and facilitate activities and workshops, when appropriate, and to contract and supervise external partners/suppliers when necessary
- Represent the FabLab at meetings and professional encounters locally, nationally and internationally, Seek new business opportunities/partnerships
- Order and track all supplies for the lab including tracking inventory.
- Prepares reports by collecting, analyzing and summarizing data and information on a quarterly basis. This also includes documenting projects in the lab.
- Creating a protected space for all visitors and training attendees.
- Close coordination with ICT and Livelihood teams for any issue may occur.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
- University degree in Computer Engineering, Electrical/Electronic/ Telecommunication or a related field from an accredited academic institution, with three years of relevant professional experience
- Completed High school degree from an accredited academic institution, with five years of relevant professional experience.
- Excellent in problem solving skills and love technical challenges with hand on experiences;
- Ability to plan and organize work;
- Knowledge of .NET framework (ASP, VB), SQL and CMS will be an advantage.
- Experience with image editing, CAD/CAM applications, and design software.
- Experience with fabrication equipment such as a vinyl printer/cutter, laser etcher/cutter, CNC mill, CNC plasma cutter, 3D printers and other related equipment.
- Experience working in or using manufacturing/industrial and rapid prototyping technology and equipment.
- Proficient in common desktop applications (web browsing, Microsoft Office Suite, image editing).
- Fluency in English and Turkish is required.
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioral indicators level 1
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
Please be advised that this is a local position and as such only applications from candidates with a valid residence / working permit residing in Turkey will be considered. The approval of current employer (If applicable) is necessary for holding this position and advance written permission from current employer is necessary before assigned duties.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates are requested to submit their application including the most recent CV with a cover letter in English with contact details (name, position, phone and e-mail details) of three references by indicating name of the position applied with its VN number and the city applied for in the subject line of the e-mail or to IOM Birlik Mahallesi Sehit Kurbani Akboga Sok. No:24 06610, Çankaya, Ankara Turkey by the end of 29 January 2021.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
With 165 member states, a further 8 states holding observer status and offices in over 100 countries, IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM works to help ensure the orderly and humane management of migration, to promote international cooperation on migration issues, to assist in the search for practical solutions to migration problems and to provide humanitarian assistance to migrants in need, including refugees and internally displaced people.
The IOM Constitution recognizes the link between migration and economic, social and cultural development, as well as to the right of freedom of movement.