Vacancy Notice Number:
Counselling Assistant (Re-advertised)
6 months Special Short Term Ungraded contract –with possible extension of 4 months
Deadline of Applications:
30 July 2019
Number of Vacant Positions:
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
The 3-years EU-funded project “Supporting Turkey’s Efforts to Manage Migration” aims to support institutional and legal reform of migration management of Turkey via the following specific objectives:
1. Reinforcement of migration management legislative and administrative capacity in compliance with EU standards and the national legal framework.
2. Strengthening the institutional capacities at local, central and international level to implement the LFIP and enhancing inter-institutional cooperation in migration management.
3. Enhancement of human rights driven dialogue and cooperation with key countries of origin, transit and destination to improve understanding of migratory patterns and challenges.
The main beneficiary of the project is Ministry of Interior, Directorate General of Migration Management (DGMM).
Under the direct supervision of National Project Coordinator, the incumbent will be responsible for supporting, guiding and assisting the foreigners in the Provincial Directorate of Migration Management (PDMM) Migrant Resource Centers. During the project implementation, the incumbents will be located in PDMM premises in the province of the duty station they apply for.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Provide information to foreigners about policies and procedures in the scope of migration management of Turkey.
2. Provide necessary guidance and orientation to foreigners to ease their access to given rights and social services provided to them.
3. Guide the foreigners to relevant public institutions in a correct and timely manner, and keep them informed on various issues to decrease the burden on service provider.
4. Identify foreigners’ problems and needs in access to different social services and take the steps necessary steps in coordination with relevant institutions and organizations.
5. Regularly report foreigners’ common problems and needs in access to different services as well as sustainability and quality or services.
6. Distribute brochures, pamphlets and other printing materials to enable foreigners to access right information.
7. Contribute to the organization of briefings, trainings and preparation of informative materials.
8. Coordinate with the relevant departments of PDMM and assist for information flow between foreigners and the departments.
9. Work closely with other specialists and interpreters of the PDMM.
10. Perform any other tasks assigned by the supervisor.
- University/ Bachelor’s or Vocational Schools of Higher Education degree in Psychological Counselling and Guidance, Sociology, Psychology, Social Services or another related field.
- Preferably minimum two years of work experience in migration or another related field
- Preferably experience in the field of vulnerability
- In-depth knowledge on public institutions or organizations related to field of migration
- Commitment to follow the recent developments in the field of migration
- Demonstrated capacity to undertake assigned responsibilities and work under pressure
- Excellent communication skills, good persuasive and problem solving skills
- Result-oriented approach
for İstanbul: fluency in Turkish, English and Arabic is required.
for all other provinces: Fluency in Turkish and Arabic is required.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity:
Shows respect and sensitivity towards gender, culture, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, political conviction and other differences.
• Encourages the inclusion of all team members and stakeholders while demonstrating the ability to work constructively with people with different backgrounds and orientations.
• Promotes the benefits of diversity; values diverse points of view and demonstrate this in daily work and decision making.
• Challenges prejudice, biases and intolerance in the workplace.
- Integrity and transparency:
Upholds and promotes the Standards of Conduct and Unified Staff Regulations and Rules.
• Delivers on commitments; manages the organization’s resources reliably and sustainably.
• Embraces and encourages transparency, balancing this with the need for discretion and confidentiality as appropriate.
• Maintains impartiality and takes prompt action in cases of unprofessional or unethical behaviour.
• Does not abuse one’s position and acts without consideration of personal gain. Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns.
Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter and willingness to improve knowledge and skills.
• Seeks to raise professional standards in self and others through daily work and activities.
• Adapts quickly to change and is decisive and versatile in face of uncertainty.
• Shows self-control and persistence when faced with difficult problems and remains calm in stressful situations.
• Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 1
- Teamwork: Establishes strong relationships with colleagues and partners; relates well to people at all levels.
• Is fully aware of the team purpose, respects and understands individual and collective responsibilities.
• Willingly puts in extra effort without being asked and adopts a "hands-on" approach whenever necessary to achieve team objectives.
• Coordinates own work with that of the team to meet agreed priorities and deadlines.
- Delivering Results:
•Produces quality results and provides quality services to clients.
• Meets goals and timelines for delivery of products or services.
• Manages time and resources efficiently, monitoring progress and making adjustments as necessary.
• Shows understanding of own role and responsibilities in relation to expected results.
- Managing and sharing knowledge:
•Keeps abreast of new developments in own field of competence and creates opportunities for knowledge management initiatives.
• Shares knowledge and learning willingly, and proactively seeks to learn from the experiences of others.
• Puts new learning into practice and draws on diverse sources of ideas and inspiration.
• Contributes to the identification of improvements to work processes and assists in implementing them.
•Accepts personal responsibility for quality and timeliness of work.
• Takes ownership of all responsibilities within own role and honours commitments to others and to the Organization.
• Operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules.
• Accepts and gives constructive criticism; acknowledges and corrects mistakes and apply lessons learned for improvement.
•Presents information using language and sequence of ideas that is easy for recipients to understand.
• Adapts communication to the recipient’s needs, asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication.
• Encourages others to share their views, using active listening to demonstrate openness and to build understanding of different perspectives.
• Listens carefully and genuinely to the views and positions of others; acts on received information.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, and security clearances.
Please be advised that this is a local position and as such only applications from candidates with Turkish citizenship will be considered.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates are requested to submit their application including the most recent CV with a cover letter in English with contact details (name, position, phone and e-mail details) of three references by indicating name of the position applied with its VN number in the subject line of the e-mailor to IOM Birlik Mahallesi Sehit Kurbani Akboga Sok. No:24 06610, Çankaya, Ankara by the end of 30 July 2019.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
With 165 member states, a further 8 states holding observer status and offices in over 100 countries, IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM works to help ensure the orderly and humane management of migration, to promote international cooperation on migration issues, to assist in the search for practical solutions to migration problems and to provide humanitarian assistance to migrants in need, including refugees and internally displaced people.
The IOM Constitution recognizes the link between migration and economic, social and cultural development, as well as to the right of freedom of movement.