Dünya Doktorları Derneği
Dünya Doktorları Derneği (DDD) is a humanitarian, impartial and independent non-governmental organisation based in Turkey, facilitating access to health care to populations affected by armed conflicts, internal violence, poverty or exclusion.
Dünya Doktorları Derneği (DDD) in Turkey, in collaboration with different partners, is running projects aiming at facilitating access and orienting beneficiaries to primary and secondary level of health care services, providing Mental Health & Psychosocial Support and Physiotherapy & Rehabilitation services to the refugees and migrants in Turkey.
Dünya Doktorları Derneği (DDD) is part of Doctors of the World international network. Please visit www.dunyadoktorlari.org.tr to learn more.
Since the beginning of the Syrian and Iraqi crises, a massive influx of external population movements has taken place through the Turkish border into inside Turkey. Over 3 million refugees, migrants & asylum seekers are currently hosted in Turkey which led to an increasing demand for health services and put a serious burden on the system. A need arose for permanent health facilities to provide services; and hence improve access to the services to a large number of refugees and migrants.
In this context, Dünya Doktorları Derneği’s intervention aims at assisting the local public health system in providing and improving access to health and health related services to vulnerable populations among refugees and migrants in Turkey, specifically in Hatay, Izmir and Istanbul provinces.
The conflict between the Syrian army and opposition resulted in the death and casualties of thousands of people, massive displacements of populations within the country and into neighbouring countries. The DDD´s Turkey / Syria mission gradually grew around three main objectives:
- Provision of Primary Health Care services and sexual and reproductive health services to target population in Syria and Turkey
- Provide emergency medical relief/support through referrals in the areas of intervention in Syria
Provide Mental Health and Psychosocial support to target population.
Hierarchical & Functional links
Based in Istanbul, the Deputy General Director reports to DDD president, and s/he will directly supervise:
- 1 logistic Coordinator
- 2 Program Coordinators
- 2 Technical Coordinators
- 1 Communication & Liaison Manager
- 1 grant manager
- 1 senior M&E coordinator
- 1 senior FinCO
- 1 senior HR Co
The coordinators manage more than 100 staffs. Deputy General Director is part of the Coordination Team and the Senior Management Team.
- Operational Management of the NGO
- Representation and Coordination
- Team Management
- Other related tasks
- Coordinate all aspects related to the implementation of projects implemented by Dünya Doktorları Derneği and through partnerships. The Deputy General Director has the overall responsibility for financial, administrative, logistic, technical and program management of DDD Operations, in line with project proposals;
- Contribute to country strategy & annual planning;
- Support the Program Coordinators for effective and efficient management of projects, consistent with the project management cycle, monitoring systems and reporting requirements (to donors & partners, among which Médecins du Monde International Network);
- Support the Technical Coordinators to ensure that teams are delivering quality Mental Health & Psychosocial Support programmes, physiotherapy & rehabilitation support to partners; and adequate monitoring, evaluation, accountability & learning requirements;
- Ensure that Finance, Logistics, HR and internal audit systems and procedures are in place and followed up by the Support Service & Compliance Coordinator, in close collaboration with other relevant coordinators;
- Ensure the mission compliance within the legal framework of Dünya Doktorları Derneği;
- Ensure that security plans are followed by all field staff, and updated as necessary. Coordinate the response to any security incident;
Representation and Coordination
- Represents the organisation towards donors, partners, authorities and other stakeholders and ensure coordination of field visits (partners, donor, etc.);
- Ensure regular interaction, information sharing, and collaboration with other humanitarian actors (UN agencies, INGOs, local NGOs), and in particular with the organizations with similar programs;
- Ensure the development of the general strategy within the Coordination team and ensure that teams are clearly directed and working in support of the overall operational plan;
- Organise mission coordination meetings to ensure an effective communication and cooperation between all departments;
- Act as a link between the organisation and its partners, among which Médecins du Monde International Network;
- Ensure management and coordination of the overall teams under the responsibility of DDD President;
- Responsible for the well-being of all team members; conduct regular team building activities; monitor and support stress management, including regular documented team meetings for planning and reporting purposes;
- Participate in the recruitment of key staff positions (under international or national status);
- Propose changes in the general organisation of the program, the HR policy and the organisation chart, in coordination with DDD President;
- Ensure briefing and follow up of teams, including security and program briefings for new arrivals;
- Participate in the regular evaluations and training planning of the staff.
- Ensure that regular updates on DDD activities in the country are provided (Snapshots / Sitreps / access report, etc.);
- Ensure proper communication with donors and partners, among which Médecins du Monde International Network, and relevant stakeholders;
- Provide a mission report and/or handover document at the end of the contract.
Other position related tasks
- Represent and actively participate in relevant team meetings;
- Report any security related issues to the line manager;
- Support operational organisation of DDD activities;
- Ability to travel and relocate, if requested;
- Any other relevant tasks, as requested by the line manager.
Compliance & Ethics
Promote and encourage a culture of compliance and ethics throughout Dünya Doktorları Derneği. As applicable to the position, maintains a clear understanding of Dünya Doktorları Derneği and donor compliance and ethics standards and adheres to those standards. Conducts work with the highest level of integrity. Communicates these values to staff and to partners and requires them to adhere to these values.
Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse
Actively promote PSEA (Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse) standards within Dünya Doktorları Derneği and amongst beneficiaries served by Dünya Doktorları Derneği.
NB: considering the purpose and values of the organisation, DDD requests to its employee complete flexibility in term of duties and commitment, as their job description and job title can be adjusted throughout the year according to needs and priorities.
Knowledge & Experience
- Extensive experience (5 years minimum) with NGO as an operational manager or country director working in emergency contexts, managing programmes, preferably within the health sector;
- Experience in on site managing significant team of national and international staffs;
- Previous experience of project planning and budget holding; proposal and report writing;
- Knowledge and understanding of project management tools (Logical Framework analysis, project cycle management, objectives and indicators etc.);
- Strong leadership skills and a supportive management style (experience managing national and international staff);
- Experience of security management in high volatile context;
- Good representation and writing skills;
- Experience in multi-donor’s project management;
- Knowledge of the country and / or context of the Syrian Crisis
- Required: English (oral and written);
- Preferred: Turkish
IT & Equipment
- Proficient in computerised accounting systems and strong spreadsheet skills;
- Good proficiency with Microsoft Office package;
Intellectual & Physical
- Analytical thinking to evaluate different approaches/solutions for a specific environment;
- Ability and flexibility to understand the cultural and political environment;
- Ability to seek, collect, and critically analyses data and information needed to achieve the tasks;
Communication & Information flow
- Listening skills;
- Written and spoken communication skills;
- Interpersonal skills and able to communicate with people at all levels;
General Qualities required:
- Ability to work with a team as well as to work independently;
- Flexibility and capacity of adapt to complex and changing contexts;
- Organisation, planning and prioritising abilities;
- Ability to work in an international context and collaborate with international and national experts;
- Familiar with multicultural environment;
Dünya Doktorları Derneği (DDD) Offers
- A challenging and exciting position in an international environment;
- Opportunity to take initiative and realise your ideas;
- Training opportunities;
- Full-time contract.
Dünya Doktorları Derneği is an equal opportunity employer whereby we ensure all hiring and employment decisions, and operates all programs, services, and functions without the practices that discriminate against any person employed or seeking employment based on race, colour, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, marital status, disability, genetic information or any other status or characteristic protected under applicable law.
How to apply:
- Please apply with your CV and motivation letter in ENGLISH through our website.
- The deadline for submitting the applications is 31st March 2019.
Due to the urgency to fill this post, DDD reserves the right to review the CVs on a rolling basis and selected candidates may be interviewed prior to the closing dates listed.
DDD is not in a position to respond to every applicant individually due to the anticipated high number of applications.
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted for the first interview.
DDD retains the discretion to re-advertise the vacancy, to cancel the recruitment, to offer a contract with a modified job description or for a different duration, or to offer a contract at a lower grade.
Dünya Doktorları Derneği
DDD in Turkey, in collaboration with different partners, is running a project aiming at facilitating access and orienting beneficiaries to primary and secondary level of health care services, providing Psycho Social Support for the refugees and migrants in Turkey.