Danish Refugee Council, one of the world’s leading humanitarian NGOs, is currently looking for a highly qualified Economic Recovery Coordinator.
About the Job
DRC in Turkey seeks a skilled and experienced technical coordinator who will have a country focus and will provide technical guidance on livelihoods and economic recovery assistance to the Turkey country operation. The Economic Recovery Coordinator will guide DRC’s strategic positioning, technical quality management and capacity building, and oversight of the implementation of economic recovery programmes. S/he will ensure the programme is delivered to a standard of high quality in line with DRC’s and international standards. S/he will ensure good coordination with other actors in the sector and proactively build linkages between DRC’s programmatic sector teams. Building impactful public and private partnerships at the country level plays a key part of the role.
This role has a country focus and ensures compliance with DRC procedures and guidelines within the country. The role contributes to the development of country strategies, which are translated into action plans and day-to-day tasks. The role provides support and/or technical guidance to country operations while overseeing country activities. Coordinator is expected to frequently travel to field locations to support implementing teams, on average 40% of their time.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Programme Design and Development
- With Lead on the technical design of proposals and concept notes on livelihoods, including conducting design workshops and writing technical narratives
- Contribute to fundraising through the promotion of Corporate Social Responsibility, strengthening private sector engagement and developing proposals for corporate funding
- Design program concepts using the Market Systems Approach and incorporating innovative solutions
- Lead the technical design of a top-level Impact Bond proposal following the scoping study conducted by DRC in Turkey
- Identify trends in economic recovery programming and assist the Grants Coordinator in mapping out donor priorities and potential sources of funding in Turkey
- In collaboration with the Protection Coordinator, design integrated program approaches that address protection needs and socio-economic vulnerabilities of affected populations
- Identify research and evidence gaps needed to inform program design and quality
- Support identification, assessment, and development of strategic partnerships with local and national civil society, private sector entities, and government institutions on livelihoods
- Collaborate with partners to leverage respective strengths and develop shared value programming
- Lead the capacity building assessment and development and implementation of the capacity building plan for each Economic Recovery local partner in areas of livelihoods and provide technical workshops, mentoring and learning and sharing sessions based on identified gaps
- Lead the implementation of the Private Sector Engagement Strategy at the national and field levels including establishing initial meetings with multi-national/international companies in Istanbul
- Provide technical guidance and support to program staff on implementing livelihoods interventions and private sector engagement-related activities
- Ensure high technical quality and synergies in project implementation among field teams and partners
- Enhance the Economic Recovery programming by shifting from the traditional livelihoods interventions at the individual level to include systemic level interventions
- Spearhead the revision, maintenance, and rollout of DRC’s Turkey Economic Recovery Strategy and contribute to a country-level Strategic Plan, taking into account DRC and inter-agency standards and best practices and regional and global strategies and priorities. Ensure all team members and programme initiatives align with the strategy.
- Lead revision or development of, and ensure the effective implementation of, DRC’s approaches and standard operating procedures (SOPs) related to livelihoods activities
- Ensure risk assessments and mitigation measures related to livelihoods programming are completed
- Provide technical oversight of programme activities implemented by DRC and partners, including conducting spot checks, programme quality monitoring visits and participating in review meetings
- Initiate procurement for research/assessment consultancy works including raising purchase requests, developing terms of reference (TOR), and leading the technical evaluation and interview
- Provide technical guidance to Consultants, monitor the quality of their work and ensure timely delivery of outputs
- Support recruitment of livelihoods staff as required
Programme Quality, Reporting, and Learning
- Provide technical inputs to and quality assurance of donor reports in coordination with the Grants team
- Review partners’ reports and provide technical feedback
- Ensure strong information management and use of databases for information management and reporting
- Support accountability to affected populations and roll out of accountability improvement plan in the area of livelihoods
- Work closely with the Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability, and Learning (MEAL) team to develop and implement ethical and safe monitoring and evaluation tools and mechanisms, including qualitative data collection and analysis
- Analyze monitoring and evaluation results, capture best practices and lessons learned, and use them to enhance programme quality, effectiveness, and efficiency
- Conduct monthly learning and sharing for DRC staff and partners
Staff Management & Capacity Building
- Technical supervision of economic recovery programme managers and team leaders
- Conduct regular capacity assessments of DRC staff in areas of livelihood, provide training and mentoring, and conduct monthly learning and sharing sessions based on identified gaps
- Closely coordinate with the Head of Program, Area Manager, and Protection Coordinator and ensure regular information flows regarding program implementation and quality control
- Encourage a positive, innovative, and mutually supportive team spirit amongst the Economic Recovery team
- Supervise a Program Specialist who oversees a pilot project on digital employment, and ensure the successful closeout of this project (expected end in the last quarter of 2022)
External Representation & Coordination
- Represent DRC at national and regional working groups and core groups on livelihoods, and other fora as required, including the possibility of co-chairing a regional working group
- Support in strengthening the liaison with key stakeholders in the livelihoods sector
- Support in harmonisation of approaches in livelihoods programming across field sites, in line with Regional and Global DRC strategy and SOPs
- Provide briefings for donors and stakeholders as needed
Other tasks as assigned by the Head of Program
To be successful in this role, you must have an undergraduate degree in development studies or other social sciences required; graduate degree preferred.
Moreover, we also expect the following:
- Demonstrated technical knowledge of and experience working on Economic Recovery programming, including interventions such as employability, entrepreneurship, financial inclusion, Market Systems Approach, and the Graduation Approach
- Minimum 5 years of experience with international humanitarian and/or development organizations, including significant experience working in contexts of displacement
- In-depth understanding of the Syrian displacement and the operational context in Turkey
- Experience working on large-scale program development and excellent proposal writing skills
- Proven skills in livelihoods technical management and capacity building of staff and partners
- Experience collaborating with local and international partners, local/government authorities, and private sector actors
- Understanding of humanitarian protection activities and prior experience collaborating with protection teams on integrated programs is an advantage
- Experience developing and rolling out program tools, SOPs, and other resources
- Excellent problem-solving and creative thinking skills and ability to innovate
- Comfortable in a multi-cultural environment, flexible and able to handle pressure well
- Excellent communication skills and ability to represent DRC effectively and professionally with donors, partners, and stakeholders
- Excellent speaking, writing, and comprehension skills in English required, in addition to knowledge of Turkish or Arabic.
All DRC roles require the post-holder to master DRC’s core competencies:
Striving for excellence: Focusing on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
Collaborating: Involving relevant parties and encouraging feedback.
Taking the lead: Taking ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
Communicating: Listening and speaking effectively and honestly.
Demonstrating integrity: Upholding and promoting the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation to DRC’s values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment.
Contract length: 12 Months
Employment Band: NM – F
Designation of Duty Station: Country Office (Hatay)
Start date: 01.08.2022
Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for Nationals.
All applicants must upload a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English. Applications sent by email will not be considered.
Closing date for applications: 30.06.2022
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website drc.ngo.
DRC as an employer
By working in DRC, you will be joining a global workforce of around 8000 employees in 40 countries. We pride ourselves on our:
- Professionalism, impact & expertise
- Humanitarian approach & the work we do
- Purpose, meaningfulness & own contribution
- Culture, values & strong leadership
- Fair compensation & continuous development
DRC’s capacity to ensure the protection of and assistance to refugees, IDP’s and other persons of concern depends on the ability of our staff to uphold and promote the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation DRC’s values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment. DRC conducts thorough and comprehensive background checks as part of the recruitment process.
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please visit drc.ngo/about-us/job-and-career/support-for-job-seekers.
Danish Refugee Council is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to creating an inclusive and positive work environment based on mutual respect for all employees. All applicants are considered for employment without attention to race, age, ability, ethnicity, nationality, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, or any other factor. At DRC we celebrate diversity and appreciate our employees for the people they are and their unique skills, backgrounds, and perspectives. We encourage all interested candidates to apply!