People in Need (PIN) has been implementing education projects in Syria since 2013. Currently, PIN is supporting 35 schools and 15 temporary learning centres in Idlib and Aleppo Governorates, in order to provide Syrian school-aged children with quality education. The services provided to the supported schools include providing teachers with incentives and training, learning and teaching materials, minor school rehabilitation, psychosocial activities, and more.
In order to help with the implementation of the project, People in Need is looking for an Education Officer based in Gaziantep. The Education Officer will be reporting to the Protection and Education Programme Manager as his/her direct line manager. The Education Officer will be required to strongly coordinate with the Education Deputy Manager based in Gaziantep.
Duty Station: Gaziantep
Number of People to be Hired: 2
Starting date: 1st September 2022
Duration: 12 months with the possibility of extension; with 2-month probation period
The main tasks of the Education Officer are listed below.
- Responsible for assisting in the implementation of all project activities related to the assigned education project. This includes all phases of the project cycle, from planning project activities, monitoring progress, ensuring accurate budget spending as well as timely achievement of the project’s milestones and reporting on project results.
- Work closely with the Deputy Programme Manager in Gaziantep to ensure appropriate and strategic planning of education project activities.
- Support the Education Team leader and Senior Education Officers in the field to ensure that education activities are in line with Syria Mission strategy, internal guidelines, Education Strategy as well as any donor guidelines, procedures and requirements.
- Remain knowledgeable of developments in the Education sector in the field, particularly any contextual changes, assessments/report and any major or nuanced shifts within the strategies or approaches of education authorities in Syria.
- Assist with the development of assessments, including the development of related tools and data analysis, related to education activities in cooperation with the Team leader and Senior Education Officers in the field.
- Remain knowledgeable and up-to-date about specific objectives, targets, indicators and activities of the project(s) assigned to him/her.
- Support the Education Manager and Deputy Manager in the preparation of educational proposals and needs assessment; make relevant suggestions.
- Assist with timely procurement and smooth operational support in the field through close coordination with the Logistics Department, and provision of necessary program inputs (including regular updates of the project procurement plan, technical inputs for procurement, purchase requests, etc.).
- Support each member of the education team to develop a weekly, monthly and annual work plan. Update it regularly and follow-up on its implementation.
- Hold weekly team meetings to discuss challenges and successes faced in implementation.
- Make sure that all project documentation connected to each of the activities are logically collected and structured. Responsible for archiving them all as per Archiving Guidelines.
- Support in Grants proposal, reporting and budgeting
- Follow up on project expenditures and forecast
Human Resource Management:
- Support the management of the Education team based in Syria - allocate tasks, monitor the completion, mentor and support their development (relevant skills and knowledge) as per the Education Coordinator’s and Deputy Programme Manager’s request.
- Support the recruitment of new education staff through contribution to testing and interviewing of candidates.
- Support in the technical capacity building and coaching of the education field team
Monitoring & Evaluation (M&E)
- Coordinate with the M&E teams to design and implement relevant needs assessments, baseline surveys, PDM surveys, endline surveys, and other monitoring and evaluation mechanisms to ensure M&E data that is consistent with internal and donor requirements.
- Ensure that the responsible M&E colleagues are archiving the relevant documents produced by their activities regularly.
- Other tasks assigned by the Education Manager or Deputy Programme Manager, corresponding to actual needs of the mission, programs, and projects.
- Substitute relevant colleagues (fully or partially) during their absence when assigned by employee’s Line Manager.
- Understand and adhere to the mission’s National Staff Handbook, Code of Conduct, Key Policies and relevant guidelines.
Suitable candidates for this position should possess:
- Degree in education, pedagogy, social work, or equivalent;
- Teaching experience, including experience of working with children;
- Experience of working for a humanitarian organization;
- Familiarity with the humanitarian context in Syria;
- Strong critical analysis and problem-solving skills;
- Experience with Microsoft Office and Excel;
- Ability to work within a team;
- Fluency in English is a must.
- Turkish Nationality is a must.
- Possibility to gain interesting working experience within a professional, internationally recognized NGO;
- Monthly salary as per PIN salary scale; and
- 25 days of paid leave per year.
Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply!