WATAN Foundation is seeking energetic, professional individual with extraordinary communication skills to join our team of Emergency Response . If you are highly motivated, detail-oriented, a quick learner, and enjoy working with people; then we encourage you to apply.
The purpose of the Emergency Response & Cross Border Manager position is to Coordinate and Manage the full range of WATAN Syria’s emergency responses in Health, Education, WASH, Shelter & NFI, and Food security.
The position holder will report to the General Manager and work closely with the Country Director, Deputy GM - Operations.
Emergency response Operations:
- Develop a rapid-response mechanism to support deployments or urgent support to meet emergency needs
- Review, monitor, and evaluate new and existing emergency response activities
- Collaborate with other managers and officers from the Finance, Operations and Programmes Department
- Assist in the start-up of new area programmes that require humanitarian assistance
- Develop and expand upon existing WATAN emergency-response tools, guidelines and methodologies relevant for emergency response
- Work with Syria Area Coordinator to ensure area-specific information are in place and clear on the scope of WATAN operations
- Participate in the preparation of any agreed monthly reporting to programmes management and contribute to any internal reports as requested
- Attend meetings with other managers to determine operational needs
- provide oversight to the Syria operational activities with partners
- Provide contextual and data inputs into humanitarian situation reporting and share them to the programme teams
- Establish and maintain relations and a network of contacts allowing the collection of information related to the humanitarian access in Syria, specifically in the areas of intervention
- Liaise with key stakeholders, which may include Governor Offices, Municipalities, Local Council inside Syria, border offices ..etc
- Develop and update the list of contacts and stakeholders map per district/ sub-district in Syria
- Develop and regularly update internal maps on safe and unsafe areas, in coordination with the Country Director.
- Support the programme teams to develop and implement community engagement strategies that promote acceptance and access
- Assess the situation in Syria for collecting information from the formal and informal network and/or the team and/or electronic means (email, blogs, webpages, Twitter, etc.)
- Report immediately to the line manager and internal stakeholders any sudden changes on the access in the areas where WATAN operates
- Develop and implement humanitarian access strategies and approaches tailored to local contexts in field sites throughout Syria
- Ensure humanitarian access approaches are responsive to the local context and include overarching community engagement components
- Work to encourage stakeholders to work with WATAN in ensuring that staff and programmes are safe and allowed to continue humanitarian activities in Syria
- Represent WATAN externally related to Syria cross-border operation as required
- Implement security policies, protocols and procedures
- Reports on any field visits and training deliveries undertaken
- Bachelor’s degree in Humanitarian Response, Development Studies or relevant technical field
- Experience working in the Syrian context and/or a strong demonstrated understanding of the country context and the region.
- Leadership experience managing emergency response or similar role in the relevant humanitarian and development sectors.
- At least 5 years’ experience in emergencies response operations.
- Ability to work within coordination mechanisms and as necessary represent WATAN in external meetings
- Ability to work with; support and influence others.
- Fluency in English and Arabic
- Proven strong experience in Planning & Reporting.
Child Protection Policy
Child abuse in all forms is unacceptable to WATAN, which recognizes its responsibility to protect children from harm in all areas of its work. WATAN is committed to ensuring a child-safe environment and is applying a zero-tolerance approach towards any kind of child abuse and exploitation.
Discrimination, Abuse and Harassment Policy
WATAN expressly prohibits and will not tolerate any form of discrimination, abuse, harassment (sexual or otherwise), based upon race, ethnicity, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, marital status, citizenship status, disability, or military status. WATAN employees and related personnel must under no circumstances take part in any form of discrimination, harassment, or abuse (physical, sexual or verbal), intimidation or exploitation, or in any other way infringe the rights of others inside or outside WATAN.
Applications are strongly encouraged from female candidate