Area Monitoring & Evaluation Officer – East (Re-Advertisement)
Şanlıurfa – Kilis
The Danish Refugee Council assists refugees and internally displaced persons across the globe: we provide emergency aid, fight for their rights, and strengthen their opportunity for a brighter future. We work in conflict-affected areas, along the displacement routes, and in the countries where refugees settle. In cooperation with local communities, we strive for responsible and sustainable solutions. We work toward successful integration and – whenever possible – for the fulfilment of the wish to return home.
The Danish Refugee Council was founded in Denmark in 1956, and has since grown to become an international humanitarian organization with more than 7,000 staff and 8,000 volunteers. Our vision is a dignified life for all displaced.
All of our efforts are based on our value compass: humanity, respect, independence and neutrality, participation, and honesty and transparency.
About the job
The Area M&E Officer is responsible for coordinating and overseeing the implementation of DRC monitoring and evaluation activities at area level in two field bases.
The Area M&E Officer reports to M&E Coordinator and will be primarily responsible for regularly monitoring the field base level project activities at two DRC operational provinces within the respective area, developing and managing the field base M&E teams and will be responsible for the collection & analysis of different data in relation to program activities implemented in two field bases within the respective area. Your main duties and responsibilities will be:
General duties and responsibilities
- Oversee the implementation and coordination of monitoring and evaluation activities at area level in two field bases as per M&E work plans;
- Technical supervision and daily management of Monitoring Assistants at area level in two field bases to ensure the daily/weekly/monthly work plan being followed, with objectives and monitoring targets are met on field base level
- Ensure the performance of M&E assistants in two field bases is overseen, necessary actions are taken for their performance appraisal and capacity building plans
- Regularly undertake field monitoring visits as planned and directed by M&E Coordinator;
- Support M&E Coordinator for development of appropriate tools and processes for all relevant project activities under DRC-Turkey programme
- Act as a key coordination focal point between Area Managers and Area Program managers to ensure necessary efforts spent for the integration of M&E findings into program implementation
- Work closely with area information management officer to perform data extraction, data analysis and producing statistical and graphic reports under technical supervision of M&E Coordinator
- Provide trainings about data collection tools and processes to two field base M&E data collection teams as needed
- As a capacity building effort, as needed provide trainings to M&E focal points or teams of partner organizations and/or community based organizations in two field bases within the respective area
- Follow and ensure compliance with DRC Standard Operational Procedures and DRC MELMOP Guidelines in field level
- In case of absent M&E assistants and/or the need of meeting monitoring targets, support data collection activities (phone surveys, beneficiary visits, etc.)
- In case of absent Accountability officer, following the relevant area level tasks as agreed with M&E Coordinator
- Any other duties as agreed with the Area Manager
Monitoring responsibilities (40%)
- Test quantitative and qualitative data collection activities at area level in two field bases and perform also data collection if necessary (in case of absent assistant level staff in the field base);
- Ensure necessary data is collected on area level in two field bases for analysis & reporting purposes and as per M&E work plans;
- Ensure the high quality and accurate data collection by ensuring the consistent understanding of data collection tools among M&E field teams in respective area;
- Provide regular written and verbal feedback on initial observations and M&E findings to M&E Coordinator and Area Manager
- On area level and in two field bases ensure beneficiaries are treated with respect, confidentiality and informed consent within M&E activities;
- In absence of M&E Coordinator, participate in project kick-off, mid-term review and closure meetings for projects in the respective area;
- Keep safety focal point, logistics team and area manager informed of any safety incident that might take place;
- Solve problems and conflicts that might occur during monitoring and respond to minor complaints coming from beneficiaries in two field bases.
- Under technical supervision of M&E Coordinator oversee M&E field teams (in respective area) in conducting qualitative and quantitative data collection of program/project impact to contribute to program goals are being met and that the Program teams are able to improve the quality of program/project implementation.
- Support M&E Coordinator for the development of evaluation tools, sampling methods and protocols for internal evaluations.
- Support M&E Coordinator for the design, planning and implementation of external evaluations on projects on field base level.
Reporting and information (25%)
- Submit monthly/weekly reports to Area Manager and M&E Coordinator on achievements and challenges related to monitoring activities;
- Produce periodic monitoring reports on field base activities as per M&E plan for internal stakeholders to ensure programs have accurate and useful data to inform program development;
- Provide necessary inputs from two field bases to M&E Coordinator for donor and internal reports
- Work and liaise with both DRC and IP program teams in two field bases at area level ensure lessons learnt, challenges and efforts to overcome them are collated and documented for annual review purpose and to be reported annually to DRC HQ
- Inform DRC programming in respective area regarding to the compliancy of program activities with DRC Accountability principles, including Humanitarian Accountability Partnership (HAP) guidelines.
- In collaboration with Accountability Officer, follow up DRC-Turkey work-plan for improving DRC’s adherence to CHS principles and HAP guidelines in Turkey mission
- Support Accountability Officer for that complaints received in field base through hotlines are managed by relevant teams.
- In absence of Accountability officer act as Accountability officer and follow area level tasks and processes as agreed with M&E Coordinator
To be successful in this role we expect you to have University degree or advanced training/courses in statistics, socioeconomic studies, international affairs, emergency management, or other related fields; At least two years of relevant professional experience, preferrably in Monitoring and Evaluation area; Moreover, we also expect the following:
- Target oriented
- Evaluative thinking
- Good command (written and spoken) of English and fluency in Arabic (read, written and spoken)
- Proven experience in data collection methodologies, data analysis and reporting
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with DRC’s vision and values.
Contract length: 5 Months
Level: Senior Officer
Designation of Duty Station: Şanlıurfa/Kilis
Start date: ASAP
Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for Expatriates/ Nationals; please refer to drc.ngo under Vacancies.
Interested? Then apply for this position by clicking on the apply button. All applicants must upload a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English. Applications sent by email will not be considered. This position is on Grade 5 and salary will be between $1339 and $1472 depending on previous experience in similar positions.
Closing date for applications: 22.07.2018
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website drc.ngo
- Sector Civil Society