Job Title: Information Management Officer
Deadline to apply: 1 June 2017
Job Location: Gaziantep
CARE provides cross-border humanitarian assistance in Syria, and refugee assistance within Turkey to people affected by the Syrian crisis. This position is focused on assistance to refugees in Turkey in a number of locations through protection services and various basic needs support. The overall objective of the program is to meet urgent needs, improve living conditions and reduce the vulnerability of recently-arrived Syrian refugees’ population and host population in Turkey.
The main purpose of this role is to support the CARE Turkey MEAL team in managing and developing the established database system. The Information Management Officer will contribute to the Refugee program through the maintenance and continuous improvement of crucial information management systems. The primary function of the role will be to provide IM support to the MEAL and Program teams, including through database development and supporting the transition from paper to digital data collection tools. The role will also provide some broader IM support to the cross-border team, such as managing all activities related to digital data solutions, supporting the training of staff and partners in the use of agreed IM tools and formats.
Based in Gaziantep, the database officer will work with MEAL Coordinator, MEAL assistant, Accountability assistant, and the program team to ensure that information is available, safe, and easily accessible.
Office work: 100% (5 days/week)
Responsibilities and Tasks
Information management system support
- Review and update access database systems of high availability and quality depending on each CARE and partners’ staff specialized role.
- Design and implement database in accordance to CARE and partners’ staff information needs and views.
- Define users and enable data distribution to the right staff, in appropriate format and in a timely manner.
- Use high-speed transaction recovery techniques and backup data.
- Minimize database downtime and manage parameters to provide fast query responses.
- Determine, enforce and document database policies, procedures and standards.
- Perform tests and evaluations regularly to ensure data security, privacy and integrity.
- Monitor database performance and implement changes.
- Produce a technical report covering all aspects of the database development process and definitions of codes, variables and copies of any software programme written.
- Conduct data quality checks and ensure that data-sets are clean and reliable.
- Liaise with any external consultants supporting the development of IM systems.
Broader information management support to Program team
- Main focal point for all CARE information management, including, being the main data source of all numbers needed about the achievements across all CARE Turkey projects.
- Manage all CARE activities related to digital data solutions, including managing the server, building survey forms, managing data, and extracting reports.
- Work very closely with CARE projects staff and partners’ staff to ensure accurate and consistent entry of data received into database.
- Produce SOPs on the use of the database and/or training materials for training on relevant CARE and partners’ staff on the use of the database.
- Provide proactive and reactive data management support and training to CARE and partners’ staff.
- Assist the MEAL coordinator in performing data analysis and producing statistical and graphic reports as required.
- Provide relevant CARE projects staff with required statistical reports about achievements on regular basis (weekly or monthly).
- Assist the MEAL coordinator in provide technical support to CARE and partners’ staff on the specific data required from them in relation to the different indicators they are monitoring (telephone support or travel to other offices) as required.
Capacity building with staff and implementing partners
- Support the training of staff and partners on the use of agreed IM tools and formats and ensure their full implementation. Review data shared by staff and partners and provide feedback and support where improvements are required.
- Continuously identify capacity gaps among staff and partners and build their capacities accordingly through training and coaching. Develop time-bound IM capacity building plans and conduct training sessions in-person and remotely as needed. One-on-one mentoring, where possible, to partner staff to provide them with the greatest possible opportunity to understand and successfully apply the required approaches.
- Any other task as required by line manager.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer discipline, information management, IT or relevant certification.
- At least three years of experience in information management systems and tools.
- Proven experience in database development, data collation process, data analysis and reporting.
- Hands-on experience with database standards and end user applications.
- Excellent knowledge of data backup, recovery, security, integrity and SQL.
- Familiarity with access database design, documentation and coding.
- Problem solving skills and ability to think algorithmically.
- BS degree in a computer discipline or relevant certification.
- 1 year minimum experience in MEAL in a humanitarian NGO.
- Strong skills and experience in database management and analysis.
- Strong team player with good communications skills, able to develop and maintain effective working relationships.
- Flexible, creative and solution-oriented.
- Commitment to the aims and principles of CARE International.
- Experience in mapping of project activities using online mapping tools such as google map, ARC GIS.
- Knowledge of and experience using open source platforms such as Open Data Kit (ODK), Ona.io, KoBo Colllect, Zoho Reports.
- Arabic language will be high advantage
Fluency in written and oral English . Must be able to read and interpret documents, and communicate with others as necessary to perform job duties effectively.
- Sector Civil Society
- Level Employee
- Position Information Management Officer
- Highest Degree University
- Experience 1-3
- Language Level English (C2, Level 6, Advanced)