Position: Community Health Senior Officer /CHSO/
Location: Gaziantep, Turkey with ability to conduct field visits to implementation locations
Reports to: The Health Coordinator
Duration: 10 months
About RI: Relief International is a leading nonprofit organization working in 20 countries to relieve poverty, ensure well-being and advance dignity. We specialize in fragile settings, responding to natural disasters, humanitarian crises and chronic poverty.
Relief International combines humanitarian and development approaches to provide immediate services while laying the groundwork for long-term impact. Our signature approach — which we call the RI Way—emphasizes local participation, an integration of services, strategic partnerships, and a focus on civic skills. In this way, we empower communities to find, design and implement the solutions that work best for them.
The main purpose of this position is to oversee, manage, and continuously follow up RI’s Community Based Health activities’ implementation both technically and administratively through effective partnership management and programs’ implementation and follow up.
Within Syria emergency response framework, the position is the technical reference of community health theme; including Hygiene Promotion, Nutrition, and other community health categories; within internal and external coordination, daily administration of overall related activities, curriculum development, IEC tools design, and any other related activity ensuring the scientific consistent, the cultural sensitivity, age and gender compatibility, and protection standards’ application.
The position will be part of RI’s Health Unit Gaziantep office with regular field visits to implementation locations to ensure the quality programming and donor compliance through high level of coordination with the related teams and implementing partners.
Position Duties and Responsibilities:
- Review projects proposal materials and develop a detailed implementation and monitoring plan for the assigned activities.
- Plan and coordinate RI nutritional interventions in intervention areas, and Provide technical support and supervision of nutrition activities, follow-up, reporting, ensuring that they are of high quality.
- Ensure the promotion of the utmost efficacy of the community health (CH) component through RI’s implementing partners
- Oversee and daily follow up the partners’ implementation process of the project’s activities
- When applied, conduct regular field visits to project’s locations to monitor, observe, and support the activities’ implementation and its consistence with RI’s policies and donor’s guidelines.
- With support of other RI’s teams, recruit implementing staff in each project
- Meet/connect with community health implementing staff regularly to provide briefing on proposed activities, implementation and monitoring plan and roles and responsibilities of each team member
- Build the capacity of staff to implement best practice in health, hygiene, nutrition, and other related health practices
- Anticipate changing needs and emergencies, communicating to management team
- Support in conducting initial needs assessments and determining areas of assistance.
- Help review and update all program outreach and resource materials to reflect comprehensive program activities.
- Work with the related teams on timely procurement and delivery of required commodities.
- In collaboration with Nutrition cluster and stakeholders, ensure that nutritional management structures and the community component use standard protocols, policies and guidelines.
- Develop spending plans for the assigned budget lines related to community health activities
- Assist to promote and encourage community participation in and ownership of community health activities at the community level.
- Effectively build a strong and sustainable relationship with the related partners
- Support RI’s related partners in planning, implementing and all other phases of the project life cycle.
- Support the related partners with technical assistance and capacity development
- Cooperate with related RI’s teams and the partners in developing an adequate data collection and reporting tools and work continuously to improve those tools.
- Act as the community health technical focal point supporting the related RI’s teams and partners with technical knowledge.
- In line with the international related standards and within the protection framework, lead the process of development of the training curriculum, IEC tools, and any other related activities ensuring the adapted product to be scientifically consistent, culturally sensitive, age and gender compatible
- Analyse the reported data technically to define gaps and trends
- Identify key related health practices to be addressed and help to plan and carry out appropriate activities to promote safe practices.
- Translate health data as required and conduct analysis of the morbidity data to modify community health messages to the needs and prevalent morbidities in the community.
- Identify prevalent epidemic diseases in the community and recommend appropriate strategies to be implemented in case of epidemics and other health emergencies.
- Cooperate with the related RI’s teams and partners to develop and adapt a proper and accountable methods and tools to document the activities implementation in line with RI’s policies and donor guidelines.
- Follow up the reporting process to ensure a quality data reporting.
- Analyse and report the collected data as required
- Define gaps in service provision and propose criteria to fill those gaps
- Report and document each meeting and field visit and follow up on the product action points
- Play a key role in establishment of the communities’ feedback mechanisms and work closely to consider the result of the feedback in the project implementation and new projects development.
- Develop a monitoring and evaluation system to quantify and verify the activities
- Assist in data collection and oversee the process to ensure high quality reporting of progress against proposal indicators by using RIs data collection systems.
- Assist in the preparation and drafting of periodic project reports.
- Present RI respectfully in all the attended meetings, trainings, and workshops.
- Ensure a strong coordination and cooperation with the related RI’s teams and partners
- Actively participate within the related meetings and transfer the gained knowledge and experience to other RI’s colleagues.
- Work closely with the project team to achieve the project’s objectives
- Establish and maintain active connections and relations with the targeted communities
- Interface closely with the related teams to ensure key health messages are consistent
- Attend regular meetings with the project administration.
- Help cultivate a shared vision, among all staff, of RI’s programmatic aims.
- Ensure the coordination with relevant authorities in the field for community health events
Qualifications & Requirements:
- Bachelor degree in medicine from a recognized university, or a close related field.
- Minimum of Two years of experience in the humanitarian domain
- Proven experience of community health, health management, nutrition, reporting, and technical assistance.
- Experience of working in IDPs and refugees settings.
- Experience of providing capacity building and trainings
- Proven experience of successful partnership management
- Excellent English and Arabic skills required. Turkish is a plus
- We uphold the Humanitarian Principles: humanity, neutrality, impartiality and operational independence.
- We affirmatively engage the most vulnerable communities.
- We value
- Transparency and accountability
- Agility and innovation
All Relief International members (staff, volunteers and interns) are committed to the RI policies such as, RI Code of Conduct, Child Protection Policy, Reporting Conflict of Interest, Reporting Misconduct, Reporting Sexual Exploitation and Abuse. All new comers are expected to adhere to all these policies.
This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skills, effort, duties and responsibilities associated with position.
HOW TO APPLY:
In case you meet the requirements and that you are interested in the position, please send your CV in English in addition to three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org before Decemeber 31, 2017 stating in the subject “Community Health Senior Officer“. Please note that the position may be filled before the deadline of submission of applications.
All candidates must be eligible to work in Turkey and have a Turkish citizenship.
- Sector Service