GENERAL DESCRIPTION OF THE PROGRAMME
GOAL is an international humanitarian agency established in 1977 and currently operational in 12 countries world-wide. GOAL is supported by a range of donors including the Irish Government, UK Government, USAID and the European Union and in many instances works with implementing partners, both national and international.
GOAL has been working in Syria since late 2013, responding to the acute needs of conflict affected communities. GOAL is working in Idlib Governate, in close coordination with local partners, delivering food, non-food, cash and voucher programming to highly vulnerable populations. Working in cooperation with Water Units GOAL is also supporting the provision of Water to over half a million people on a daily basis.
In 2016 GOAL started implementing programmes in Turkey in support of the refugee population targeting Health and Social Protection. GOAL continues to look to grow its footprint in Turkey.
OVERVIEW OF THE ROLE
The Compliance Coordinator has overall responsibility for the effective operation of the Compliance Department which has two broad mandates; advice and assurance.
- Advice: the Compliance Department provides advice on donor and GOAL requirements (including Anti-Fraud and Conflict of Interest policies) throughout the project life cycle including partnership development and monitoring. Within the advice mandate the department designs and delivers training on GOAL and donor rules, regulations and policies to GOAL and implementing partner (IP) staff.
- Assurance: the Compliance Department conducts regular reviews/audits of transactions of GOAL and Implementing Partners and documents any issues noted and relevant required action points to share with management.
The Compliance Coordinator is expected to ensure a culture of knowledge of donor rules and regulations as well as GOAL internal processes and policies and ensure compliance with those rules/regulations, processes and policies throughout GOAL and GOAL’s implementing partners.
Department Leadership & Management:
The Compliance Coordinator will oversee the Compliance Department, ensuring that annual compliance plans are developed/followed and appropriate for the context and management requirements. H/She will manage the Compliance team who work across all departments including programmes, finance, procurement, logistics and human resources providing timely advice on donor regulations and feedback on the effectiveness of the internal controls in place in ensuring adherence to those regulations.
- Provide leadership and oversight of the GOAL Syria Compliance Department ensuring that all responsibilities of the Compliance Department are fulfilled in a timely and effective manner, making best use of GOAL’s resources and ultimately ensuring compliance with donor and GOAL procedure’s/policies
- Develop and continually follow up on annual Compliance plans which are appropriate for the context and management requirements. The Compliance plans should outline specific functions/tasks of the Compliance Department on an annual basis including tasks/actions that may be necessary to be conducted/completed by other departments in order to be a compliant organisation.
- Work with the Donor compliance Manager to develop individual work plans for the Compliance Department staff members, setting their objectives and continually following up to ensure the objectives are being met and/or are still relevant/achievable. Conduct annual appraisals of staff as needed.
- Ensure that Compliance Department staff have sufficient knowledge and tools at their disposal to be able to meet their objectives. Provide on-the-job training and support to the staff members, including making recommendations for external training where necessary, in order to help build their capacity and to ensure they reach their full potential.
- Oversee the development of in-country training materials in relation to compliance (e.g. GOAL policies, donor requirements, anti-terrorism and sanctions checking, etc.) and ensure that the materials are relevant to the context. Make recommendations for the types of training materials that need to be developed and the best mechanism for those (e.g. online, face-to-face workshops, etc.).
- In conjunction with management and the rest of the Compliance Department, develop a training plan for the year to incorporate both donor and GOAL rules/policies training for GOAL and implementing partner staff.
- Support the Compliance Department staff in providing expert advice to management and staff in relation to compliance throughout the project lifecycle – from project design to contract review, implementation, procurement, reporting and audit.
- Review and advice on any new polices/procedures, that are specific to programme before they are finalised to ensure that they adhere to donor requirements.
- Provide advice as necessary on partnership agreements and procurement contracts to ensure that they adhere to and account for all relevant GOAL and donor requirements
- Oversee the timely completion and submission of the bi-monthly Compliance Review report to GOAL HQ. The Compliance Coordinator will review each report and relevant action points.
- Ensure that issues and action points arising from the compliance reviews are reported to relevant management and closed in a timely fashion
- Review all other internal and external audit reports to identify and understand potential areas of compliance risk/vulnerability. Using these and the implementing partner reports referred to below where necessary, develop corrective action plans for resolution of issues. Follow up on the implementation and closure of recommendations and action points.
- Review implementing partner assessments, reviews, and other internal or external audit reports and ensure any issues and action points for GOAL or the partners to address are clearly documented and communicated with the relevant people in GOAL. Ensure that management and staff follow up on these issues and close any action points in a timely manner.
- Work with the Financial Controller and the ACDS Systems to plan for and oversee any donor audits and reviews. Ensure each department is aware of their requirements during such audits and work with all GOAL team to ensure the successful completion of such Audits,
Any other tasks, for example investigations, as assigned by the ACDS or Country Director.
REQUIREMENTS (PERSON SPECIFICATION)
- University graduate with a background in, management, administration, finance or related field.
- A minimum of three (3) years’ practical working experience in a managerial capacity with Compliance, Finance, Internal Audit or Risk Management activities
- Organised and flexible, able to respond to changing priorities,
- Ability to work independently on own initiative, assess risk and make plans accordingly,
- Attention to detail with the capacity to differentiate strategic risks,
- Fluent in English,
- Capacity to produce clear, concise written and verbal reports quickly,
- Excellent communication skills, capacity to communicate complex concepts with people whose mother tongue is not English.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel with an interest in taking advantage of technological developments to promote compliance,
- Ability to learn new systems and IT software quickly and effectively
- Previous NGO experience and knowledge of donors
- Willingness to travel to field sites on a regular basis
- Qualification in Accounting,
- Previous experience in remote management,
- Turkish or Arabic language skills is an advantage,
- Experience in compiling and conducting training workshops
General terms and conditions
Our package includes a competitive salary, shared accommodation, health and travel insurance and 20 days annual leave. Additional benefits are available after 12 months of service. Salary range for this role is € 39,000 to 48,000
GOAL has a Staff Code of Conduct and a Child Protection Policy, which have been developed to ensure the maximum protection of programme participants and children from exploitation. GOAL also has a confidentiality policy ensuring the non-disclosure of any information whatsoever relating to the practices and business of GOAL, acquired in the course of duty, to any other person or organisation without authority, except in the normal execution of duty. Any candidate offered a job with GOAL will be expected to adhere to these policies any job offer made is also subject to police clearance. GOAL is an equal opportunities employer.
This Job Description only serves as a guide for the position available. GOAL reserves the right to change this document. Any published closing dates are estimated. Due to the nature of GOAL’s work we aim to fill vacancies as quickly as possible. This means that we will close adverts as soon as we have found the right candidate and this may be before the published closing date. We would therefore advise interested applicants to submit an application as early as possible.
- Sector Civil Society
- Level Senior Manager
- Highest Degree University
- Experience 4-9
- Language Level Turkish (C2, Level 6, Advanced), English (C2, Level 6, Advanced), Arabic (C2, Level 6, Advanced)