Job description for the recruitment of a Field Coordinator (Istanbul)
Location: Istanbul, Turkey
Application Deadline: 25 August 2017
Type of Contract: Employment contract / Full time
Languages Required: Fluent English and Turkish, Arabic is an asset
Estimated Starting Date: 15 September 2017
Duration of Initial Contract: Until 31 Dec 2017
To support DWWT in the implementation of the project “Improving Access to Services for Syrian Refugees Living in Izmir”.
Doctors Worldwide Turkey (DWWT) is an international humanitarian aid organization aimed to provide support to communities in need through sustainable medical relief and health based development. By linking medical expertise with cultural knowledge and values, the organization has undertaken numerous projects across Asia, Middle East, Central America and Africa.
With support of EU Humanitarian Aid and Civil Protection (ECHO), Doctors Worldwide Turkey (DWWT) provides primary health care (PHC) and psycho-social support for refugees in İzmir and İstanbul.
In order to strengthen the structure of the project and to be able to achieve the specific objectives of the intervention, DWWT requires the services of one Field Coordinator to be located in Izmir.
2. Duties and Responsibilities
The Field Coordinator will report to the Program Coordinator and will work in coordination with the rest of the Project staff. He/she will be especially responsible for the following tasks:
- Ensure the effective implementation of the intervention according to expected goals, outputs and outcomes;
- Supervise the preparation of program planning and reporting, in coordination with partners and the coordination team; Contribute to the design of medical activities, when required;
- Develop, if required, and maintain the necessary tools for the implementation, monitoring and assessment of the project;
- Assess and adjust the budget implementation of the project;
- Ensure the correct and timely production of technical and financial reports, according to internal and external – donors and partners – requirements;
Coordination and HR Management
- Supervise the project team and ensure close collaboration between the logistic, operations and administrative areas;
- Contribute to the selection, recruitment and training of project staff;
- Ensure all new team members are adequately briefed at their arrival, as well as appropriate handover in case of staff replacements;
- Conduct periodic appraisals of projects staff performance and conduct;
- Ensure regular communications are maintained between the different departments and areas and act as a facilitator when necessary;
- Ensure equality and the respect for all the principals of no discrimination among the team;
- Maintain and improve, when required, the motivation and team spirit among the project staff, through regular meeting, training and team building activities;
Administration and Logistic
- Manage financial resources: budget, expenditures and cash flow, supervising the reporting to donors and other stakeholders;
- Guarantee the respect of norms and procedures following donor’s regulations and DWWT internal policies;
- Supervise the logistic support to the projects activities, ensuring that all the steps are done timely, in compliance with local legislation and according to donors and DWWT’s procedures;
- Ensure the compliance of safety and security procedures among the team, counterparts and beneficiaries;
- Train the team and enhance familiarity with donors’ and DWWT financial guidelines.
- Represent the Organization with other NGOs, UN agencies, local and national government bodies, donors and other parties when requested, enhancing good relationships and positive collaborations with all stakeholders;
- Coordinate with local government, partners and other stakeholders directly or indirectly linked to the project keeping them informed about the status of the intervention, when required;
- Liaise with relief committees, camp managers and community leaders at local level;
- Perform any other duties and tasks that Head of Department and DWWT Management may require and assign.
3. Candidate’s Profile
Education and Experience
- Advanced University Degree in Social Economy, administration and/or Social Science;
- Minimum 5 years of professional experience, in an international NGO working in emergency contexts and 2 years managing projects, preferably within the health sector;
- Deep knowledge and experience in project management (logical Framework design and analysis, implementation, monitoring and evaluation); Experience in with projects funded by UN Agencies or similar donors is a plus;
- Proved experience in the use of monitoring and reporting tools;
- Deep understanding of humanitarian aid sector and donors and NGOs regulations;
- Good knowledge of local government structure in the areas of intervention;
- Experience in safety security management at field level;
Personal competencies and skills
- Team player, with excellent institutional relations and experience working with local NGOs and civil society and ability to foster networks and partnerships;
- Strong leadership skills, with a participative-oriented coordination style;
- Strong analytical and synthesis capacities.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills and ability to establish effective relationships with people of different nationalities and cultural backgrounds.
- Flexibility and adaptability to challenging and changing contexts;
- Ability to work independently and to deal with pressure. Computer proficiency, including working knowledge of MS Office products (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), web-based management systems required;
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely in oral and writing English and Turkish (Arabic is an asset), and capability to translate in both languages.
4. Selection Criteria
- Experience in coordination of project, centres or facilities (25%)
- Experience in NGOS and in community health programs (25%)
- Knowledge and experience in supervision of administration ad logistic processes (30%)
- Personal attitude and skills (20%)
5. Working conditions
- She/He will be based in İstanbul Coordination Office.
- Willing to live and work in challenging conditions.
- Ability to travel and relocate if it is requested.
- Working hours will be from 9.00 to 18.00 days per week. (Can be adjusted based on context).
6. Submission of applications
Closing time for applications is on 24th of March 2017. Only shortlisted candidates will contacted.
DWWT commits to develop and maintain a culture of equality and diversity in employment in which human resources are treated equitably and provided the same opportunities regardless their age, colour, nationality, ethnic origin, physical ability, gender, religion or any other not justifiable criteria.
- Sector Civil Society
- Level Employee
- Position Field Assistant
- Highest Degree University
- Language Level English (B2, Level 4, Intermediate ), Arabic (B2, Level 4, Intermediate )