The IOM is the only international inter-governmental agency with a specific mandate for migration and is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing technical expertise to governments, migrants and host communities through a wide range of sustainable solutions contributing to end forced migration and/or improve displacement conditions. IOM has also a leading role in the Camp Coordination and Camp Management (CCCM) Cluster, participates in coordinated humanitarian responses, and engages in inter-agency collaboration to meet the needs of affected-persons and contribute to their protection.
The conflict and violence in Syria has continued to create surges of people crossing the borders from Syria into neighboring countries. The number of Syrians registered or awaiting registration in host countries has surpassed 5 million and 6.2 million have been displaced inside Syria. Host governments and humanitarian actors, including IOM, are providing relief assistance and protection to this extremely vulnerable population living with host families and in increasingly crowded camps and settlements. The combination of an extremely large displaced population and the accelerating rate of new arrivals is posing a growing challenge to reception communities’ capacity and host government’s response mechanisms.
As a member of the UN Humanitarian Country Team in Syria and all concerned neighboring countries (Jordan, Lebanon, Iraq, and Turkey), the IOM Director General has activated the L3 Emergency SOPs to enhance organizational humanitarian assistance and priorities related to IDPs, refugees and returnees, and is actively participating in the emergency response within this rapidly changing humanitarian context. Security Council Resolution 2191, has superseded earlier adopted SCR 2165, allowing UN and its partners to provide cross border assistance from Turkey to Northern Syria.
As of July 2017, Turkey is hosting over 3 million Syrian refugees. About 244,000 reside in 23 camps across South East Turkey and the remaining live outside of camps. In October 2014, the Government of Turkey adapted the Temporary Protection (TP) Regulation that extends protection and assistance to all Syrians in Turkey and provides refugees with rights and duties and the framework to access health care, education, and social assistance.
IOM’s strategy for Turkey as indicated in the 3RP (Regional Refugee and Resilience Plan) is three-pronged; firstly, i) provision of humanitarian assistance focusing on the distribution of food, non-food items, cash vouchers, winterization, shelter rehabilitation, and provision of transportation, ii) to ease the burden on national and local structures through the establishment of multi-service community centers offering services and protection, community stabilization through improvements in public infrastructure and increase access to education and iii) supporting the resilience of refugees and host communities through livelihoods, community stabilisation and income generating activities.
Under the overall supervision of the Head of Sub-Office – East, Southeast, Mediterranean (ESEM) Region of Turkey based in Gaziantep and technical supervision of the Public Information Officer in Ankara and in close coordination with the Communication Assistant in Gaziantep, the incumbent will be responsible in providing support to the existing Refugee Response and Cross-Border programmes with high quality information materials. The incumbent will work in diverse projects supporting teams during project implementation in terms of visibility and documentation efforts.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Produce high quality info graphics for the implemented projects illustrating the outcomes and achievements.
2. Develop graphs, charts, and analytics and illustrative maps, diagrams, and graphics supporting the development and update of internal and external public information materials.
3. Layout reports, information sheets, and other publication materials.
4. Assist in standardizing all existing products and templates such as info sheets, presentation, situation reports as well as fonts, formatting, icons, images and layout techniques.
5. Deliver creative graphic and technical solutions for use of new media (virtual 3D words/boxes, postcards).
6. Improve and edit art-work, photos, visibility videos, posters, leaflets, brochures, charts and other graphic elements.
7. Assess new standards, technologies and trends in line with IOM’s visibility needs.
8. Develop communication material and support internal and external outreach efforts.
9. Follow up discussion on Communication with Communities in the humanitarian sector and align IOM’s materials with gender and cultural sensitive tools.
10. Provide assistance to other IOM Turkey projects as required.
Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
- University degree in Media, Graphic Design or a related field from an accredited academic institution, with three years of relevant professional experience; or
- Completed High school degree from an accredited academic institution, with five years of relevant professional experience;
- Excellent knowledge of graphic design software;
- Proficiency with software packages, most specifically Adobe Suite (InDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop) and MS Office (Publisher, PowerPoint, Visio) Tableau and any other communication software;
- Proven strong background in developing communication tools;
- Proven strong organizational skills and practical experience of how to multi-task, prioritize and work independently.
- Fluency in Turkish and English is required.
- Knowledge of Arabic is an advantage.
- Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms
- Client Orientation – works effectively well with clients and stakeholders
- Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others
- Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience
- Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services
- Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
- Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others.
- Planning and Organizing – plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
- Professionalism – displays mastery of subject matter
- Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation.
- Technological Awareness – displays awareness of relevant technological solutions;
- Resource Mobilization – works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
Please be advised that this is a local position and as such only applications from candidates with a valid residence / working permit residing in Turkey will be considered.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates are requested to submit their application including the most recent CV with a cover letter in English with contact details (name, position, phone and e-mail details) of three references by indicating name of the position applied with its VN number in the subject line of the e-mail to to email@example.com or to IOM Birlik Mahallesi Sehit Kurbani Akboga Sok. No:24 06610, Çankaya, Ankara Turkey by the end of 31 May 2018.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- Sector Civil Society
- Language Level Turkish (C2, Level 6, Advanced), English (C2, Level 6, Advanced)