Mayday is international NGO with a diverse, multinational, multicultural and multilingual staff that primarily does business in English, but delivers programming to Arabic-speaking beneficiaries. Therefore, English-Arabic interpretation and translation is a critical business need.
WHO WE ARE LOOKING FOR
We seek a capable, experienced and committed Interpreter/Translator (English-Arabic) to serve in Maydya’s Project Management Office and support language needs across the organization, and thereby help us to achieve the Foundation’s core mission: save lives and strengthen communities.
SCOPE OF WORK
As an officer in Mayday’s Project Management Office (PMO), the Interpreter/Translator will report to the Mayday Chief of Staff (CoS).
The Interpreter/Translator will serve as Mayday’s primary English-Arabic language specialist. In this role, they will perform both simultaneous and sequential interpretation for individual conversations, meetings, and group trainings; translate documents; serve as the primary point of contact for any outsourcing of language-related needs; and provide generalist support to the PMO and Chief of Staff.
Responsibilities and tasks
The Interpreter/Translator has the primary objectives of1) ensuring that Mayday internal and external communication is as timely and accurate as possible through the provision of English-Arabic interpretation and translation services, and2) providing generalist support to the PMO and Chief of Staff, thereby facilitating Mayday programme delivery.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Conducting written English-Arabic and Arabic-English translation of written documents, transcription of audio or video recordings, and other media.
- Providing consecutive and simultaneous (both with and without interpretation booths) verbal interpretation for conversations, meetings, calls, interviews, trainings and workshops.
- Providing support and assistance in office meetings, ensuring all participants are aware of activities and outputs.
- Providing tutoring to Arabic-speaking staff to help improve English
- Providing tutoring to English-speaking staff help improve Arabic
- Maintaining a public log of translation workload for Mayday staff reference when requesting translation tasks
- Coordinating additional language services support as necessary including from bilingual Mayday staff and from external sources
- Providing generalist support to PMO staff and Chief of Staff, including but not limited to maintenance and updating of trackers, writing, editing, and proofreading of reports, memos, and other documents, research, professional communications, taking meeting minutes, and other activities
- General administrative duties
- Other tasks as directed by supervisor.
The PMSO is accountable to the Chief of Staff and, through that individual, Mayday senior management, for ensuring that:
- All interpretation/translation needs within Mayday are being met in a timely manner and to a high standard of quality
- Translation workload is planned, managed and communicated effectively across the organization to avoid slowdowns and backlogs
- Internal and external communication are never delayed due to interpretation/translation issues
The Interpreter/Translator will be consulted as necessary in management processes, specifically those related to language services.
S/he will advise Mayday management and staff on all aspects of language services provision as necessary, particularly in the delivery of programming (e.g. bilingual training, bilingual contracting).
Qualifications, Education, Experience and Competencies.
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field (e.g. linguistics, English, Arabic)
- At least 4 years’ work experience, including at least 2 years’ previous experience as an English-Arabic interpreter/translator
- Functional native proficiency in both English and Syrian Arabic, both spoken and written
- Demonstrated high ability to interpret simultaneously and consecutive English-Arabic and Arabic-English, both in “whisper” translation and through an interpretation booth
- Excellent English-Arabic/Arabic-English written translation skills
- Excellent writing ability in both English and Arabic
- Good grasp of language teaching methods
- Good organisational skills
- Good knowledge of the MS Office Suite, in particular strong knowledge of Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Ability to integrate well into a close-knit, multilingual, multinational, multicultural, multiconfessional team and build relationships well with stakeholders at all levels
- Good people skills
- Ability to thrive in an often high-stress work environment
- Ability to work with close supervision at times, and to operate with substantial autonomy at others, depending on business circumstances
- Self-motivation, drive, creative problem-solving, and autonomy
- Ability to relocate to Istanbul and live and work legally in Turkey.
- Graduate degree and/or coursework in a relevant field
- Relevant professional certifications
- Knowledge of technical language of the following fields, and ability to interpret/translate it accurately and precisely in both English and Arabic:
- Emergency services
- Conflict, international and human security, stabilisation, humanitarian response, and development
- Project management and programme management
- Analysis, Design, Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (ADMEL)
- Law (esp. international law)
- Data science
- Reporting, media and communications
- Current knowledge of the history, context, actors, and conflict dynamics of the Syrian conflict
- Fluent in Turkish (and the ability to interpret/translate it to/from English and Arabic) strongly preferred
HOW TO APPLY
Mayday Rescue is committed to diversity, inclusion and equal opportunities within its workforce, regardless to race, colour, gender, nationality, age, religious and political believes, or sexual orientation.
Mayday Rescue encourages qualified female and male candidates, to apply to become a part of our team.
If you find yourself a good match for this position, and if you are interested in joining a highly dynamic team and having a direct positive impact on Mayday’s programmes, please submit your CV and cover letter on our career portal by clicking below link.
- Sector Civil Society
- Level Employee
- Position Interpreter
- Highest Degree University
- Experience 4-9
- Language Level English (C2, Level 6, Advanced), Arabic (C2, Level 6, Advanced)