Hatay: 1 Vacant position
Şanlıurfa: 1 Vacant Position
International Organization for Migration (IOM) Turkey Mission seeks the employment of Project Assistant (Livelihood) for its livelihoods program to help create income-generating opportunities for Syrian refugees as well as members of the host community across southeast Turkey, initially through three pilot projects, namely in-kind grants, job placements, and entrepreneurship trainings and grants.
The Syria crisis is entering its fifth year and millions of Syrians continue to seek refuge in neighbouring countries including Turkey. It is estimated that over 12.2 million individuals inside Syria now require humanitarian assistance and 7.6 million are internally displaced (SRP 2015-2016). Over 5 million Syrians have fled as refugees (UNHCR).
As of July 2017, Turkey is hosting over 3 million Syrian refugees. In October 2014, the Government of Turkey adapted the Temporary Protection (TP) Regulation that extends protection and assistance to all Syrians in Turkey and provides refugees with rights and duties and the framework to access health care, education, and social assistance.
IOM’s strategy for Turkey as indicated in the 3RP (Regional Refugee and Resilience Plan) is three-pronged; firstly, i) provision of humanitarian assistance focusing on the distribution of food, non-food items, cash vouchers, winterization and provision of transportation, ii) to ease the burden on national and local structures through the establishment of multi-service community centers offering protection and social stabilization for the refugees as well as increase access to education and iii) supporting the resilience of refugees and host communities through livelihoods, community stabilisation and income generating activities.
Under the overall supervision of the Senior Programme Coordinator (Refugee Response), direct supervision of the Head of Sub-Office in Hatay/Sanliurfa with technical supervision of the Programme Officer (Livelihood) in Gaziantep, the incumbent will be responsible and accountable to support the preparation and implementation of expanding livelihoods interventions and programme to help create income-generating opportunities for Syrian refugees as well as members of the host community across southeast Turkey, initially through three pilot projects, namely in-kind grants, job placements, and vocational training.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Focal person for the implementation of livelihood activities in Hatay. Support the Livelihoods Programme Officer and team to coordinate / implement with all actors in the area.
- Support in identifying income generating activities for beneficiaries to expand the scope of Livelihood program activities.
- Conduct needs assessments with host and refugee communities including municipalities, community representatives and youth in coordination with Livelihood team.
- Undertake market assessments and provide information to the assessment teams and Programme Officer on the viable professions in the local communities in regard to IKG support.
- Monitor beneficiaries already in receipt of IKG kits or cash grants and provide support and guidance to the team on improvement of the kits or grants if required.
- Assist selected beneficiaries by facilitating orientation meetings and/or business trainings and/or counseling as necessary and provide support to them in the formulation of their business plans.
- Coordinate and monitor livelihoods/resilience/economic development activities and distribution of project supplies.
- Coordinate with the livelihood team and Hatay field staff any needs assessments with host and refugee communities. Conduct field visits in Hatay and identify vulnerable beneficiaries to be enrolled in rapid income-generation activities.
- Assist in identifying partners and creating opportunities for joint action with local authorities, associations, chambers and well as local and international NGOs to scale up IOM’s livelihoods projects.
- Identify potential Turkish, Syrian or foreign private companies for the implementation of job placement. Identify the companies in Hatay for the job placement and inform PO Livelihood for the scope of work
- Travel to project sites to monitor beneficiaries of ongoing activities and report findings.
- Contact the beneficiaries and inform about the schedule for delivery of items, assist with the distribution of tools/equipment to beneficiaries and verify the quantity and quality thereof.
- Organize beneficiary satisfaction and partner feedback surveys in order to improve future livelihoods projects.
- Help implement communications strategy to promote IOM’s livelihoods activities in Hatay as the projects expand.
- Perform such other duties as may be requested.
- University degree in business management, administration, business/enterprise development, marketing, economics or a related field from an accredited academic institution, with three years of relevant professional experience; or
- Completed High school degree from an accredited academic institution, with five years of relevant professional experience.
- Experience in social projects or livelihoods activities such as in-kind grants, job placements;
- Good computer skills (Microsoft Word and Excel);
- Knowledge of database applications is an advantage;
- Proven good interpersonal and communication skills. Flexibility, tolerance and capacity to work in team;
- Working experience in the region is an asset.
- Flexibility, tolerance and capacity to work in team
- Fluency in Turkish, and English is required.
- Knowledge of Arabic is an advantage.
- Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms
- Client Orientation – works effectively well with clients and stakeholders
- Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others
- Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience
- Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services
- Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
- Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others.
- Planning and Organizing – plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
- Professionalism – displays mastery of subject matter
- Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation.
- Technological Awareness – displays awareness of relevant technological solutions;
- Resource Mobilization – works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
Please be advised that this is a local position and as such only applications from candidates with a valid residence / working permit residing in Turkey will be considered.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates are requested to submit their application including the most recent CV with a cover letter in English with contact details (name, position, phone and e-mail details) of three references by indicating name of the position applied with its VN number in the subject line of the e-mail to to firstname.lastname@example.org or to IOM Birlik Mahallesi Sehit Kurbani Akboga Sok. No:24 06610, Çankaya, Ankara Turkey by the end of 27 June 2018.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- Sector Civil Society
- Language Level Turkish (C2, Level 6, Advanced), English (C2, Level 6, Advanced)