Under the overall supervision of Head of Sub-Office in Sanliurfa, and the direct technical supervision of National Officer (Protection Psychosocial Support) in Gaziantep and in close coordination with the Team Leader, the incumbent will be responsible in working closely with the affected communities in activities for IOM’s community based protection interventions. S/he will be working closely with the community leaders, government authorities, and other stakeholders to any related activities and services of the Mobile Outreach Team.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Undertake assessments of Syrian refugees in districts across Sanliurfa or other provinces as required according to IOM guidelines, including organising and leading focus group discussions. Record and input assessment of data as required.
- Work closely with implementing partners, local authorities, area representatives and other stakeholders to identify areas, activities and topics for IOM’s community based protection interventions.
- Maintain positive relationships with beneficiaries, local authorities and other stakeholders.
- Prepare TAs for field staff and assist in additional administrative and logistical duties as required, including ensuring locations for outreach activities are organised and have all the required equipment and materials
- Identify and analyse the families/individual demands and needs through listening and dialogue, problems and nature of expressed needs (health, education, work, finance, legal etc.) and refer to appropriate colleagues and service providers
- Plan thematic groups of discussions in the targeted villages/neighbourhoods according to identified needs in villages/neighbourhoods and in consultation with key informants.
- Coordinate with the team members (Social Workers) as to referring cases for case management or for psychosocial support activities
- Assist in preparing materials needed for family support sessions, counselling services, recreational and rights based activities for children, community mobilization, awareness sessions and informal education activities
- Prepare reports on the sessions conducted and map existing needs. Raise awareness on the services that will be provided by IOM mobile outreach team and the dates of the visits.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
- University degree in Sociology, Economics, International Relations or a related field from an accredited academic institution, with two years of relevant professional experience; or
- Completed High school from an accredited academic institution, with four years of relevant professional experience;
- Experience in humanitarian and emergency assistance;
- Proven experience working with the beneficiaries, local authorities and other stakeholders;
- Proven experience in various activities and topics for community based protection interventions;
- Previous experience in family support sessions and counselling services is an advantage.
- Fluency in Turkish, English and Kurdish is required.
- Knowledge of Arabic is an advantage.
- Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms
- Client Orientation – works effectively well with clients and stakeholders
- Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others
- Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience
- Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services
- Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
- Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others.
- Planning and Organizing – plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
- Professionalism – displays mastery of subject matter
- Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation.
- Technological Awareness – displays awareness of relevant technological solutions;
- Resource Mobilization – works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
Please be advised that this is a local position and as such only applications from candidates with a valid residence / working permit residing in Turkey will be considered.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates are requested to submit their application including the most recent CV with a cover letter in English with contact details (name, position, phone and e-mail details) of three references by indicating name of the position applied with its VN number in the subject line of the e-mail to to firstname.lastname@example.org or to IOM Birlik Mahallesi Sehit Kurbani Akboga Sok. No:24 06610, Çankaya, Ankara Turkey by the end of 06 June 2018.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- Sector Civil Society
- Language Level Turkish (C2, Level 6, Advanced), English (C2, Level 6, Advanced), Kurdish (C2, Level 6, Advanced)