The Syria crisis is entering its fifth year and millions of Syrians continue to seek refuge in neighbouring countries including Turkey. It is estimated that over 12.2 million individuals inside Syria now require humanitarian assistance and 7.6 million are internally displaced (SRP 2015-2016). Over 4 million Syrians have fled as refugees (UNHCR).
As of May 2016, Turkey is hosting over 2.7 million Syrian refugees. Around 250,000 reside in 25 camps (nearly 9% of the total Syrian refugees) across South East Turkey and the remaining live outside of camps (around 91%). Of the 2.5 million living outside of camps, the majority reside in the border provinces, Sanliurfa, Hatay as well as Istanbul, Mersin, etc.
In October 2014, the Government of Turkey adapted the Temporary Protection (TP) Regulation that extends protection and assistance to all Syrians in Turkey and provides refugees with rights and duties and the framework to access health care, education, and social assistance.
IOM’s strategy for Turkey as indicated in the 3RP (Regional Refugee and Resilience Plan) is three-pronged; firstly, i) provision of humanitarian assistance focusing on the distribution of food, non-food items, cash vouchers, winterization and provision of transportation, ii) to ease the burden on national and local structures through the establishment of multi-service community centres offering protection and social stabilization for the refugees as well as increase access to education and iii) supporting the resilience of refugees and host communities through livelihoods, community stabilisation and income generating activities.
Under the overall supervision of the Head of Sub-Office – East, Southeast, Mediterranean (ESEM) Region of Turkey and direct supervision of the Head of Sub Office in Sanliurfa, the incumbent will be responsible in providing support to liaison activities and work closely with governmental partners.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Support the Head of sub Office/Resident Representative to coordinate implementation and exchange information with the governmental partners.
- Assist to arrange the regular meetings of the Sanliurfa Office and regularly report to Head of Office that include Liaise with district and provincial level authorities to cultivate, maintain and service a relationship on trust, mutual collaboration and improved knowledge and awareness regarding IOM in Turkey and also to ensure to have an updated facilitation letters.
- Conduct daily travel to introduce IOM to current and newly appointed authorities to ease IOM access and prevent delays in current areas of responsibility, as well as areas of planned intervention.
- Support project officers during their visit to Sanliurfa to arrange meeting and regularly provide programme plans and updates to local authorities including Provincial Governors, District Governors, and Municipalities, SSAF managers, Moktars, GDMM, AFAD, TRC managers and other relevant line ministries.
- Support and provide input on the development of communication information material specific for government liaison in close coordination with the PI unit.
- Focal point for all communications with the district and provincial level authorities and act as a coordinator between national stakeholders, IOM and Turkish authorities
- Update the Head of Sub Office on the daily movement of staff and ensure that it goes through accurate channels.
- Assist in identifying partners and creating opportunities for joint action with local authorities, associations, chambers and well as with local and international NGOs. Keep and maintain updated database list of all governmental partners.
- Conduct information meetings with communities, outlining the objectives of IOM community stabilization and revitalization programmes and services.
- Support programme teams and coordinate with community stakeholders to identify delivery points (safe spaces) for distribution or halls to conduct FGD and any other related activities.
- Provide Ad-Hoc reporting for urgent issues and keep Sanliurfa Team updated.
- Work closely with Security Focal point and facilitate all security related issues related to IOM Sanliurfa teams
- Support the staff in any issues related with to their coordination activity with the authorities.
Perform such other duties as may be assigned. .
- University degree in business, economics, public administration or related fields or a related field from an accredited academic institution, with three years of relevant professional experience; or
- Completed High school degree from an accredited academic institution, with five years of relevant professional experience.
- Previous liaison work or experience in other stakeholder engagement representing an organization;
- Demonstrated experience in liaising with governmental authorities, as well as the private sector;
- Proven good computer skills (Microsoft Word and Excel) and knowledge of database applications is an advantage;
- Proven sense of responsibility, dedication and a strong drive for achieving tangible results; Flexibility, tolerance and capacity to work in team;
- Good interpersonal and communication skills;
Knowledge working in the region is an advantage.
- Fluency in Turkish and English is required.
- Knowledge of Arabic, or Kurdish is advantageous.
- Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms
- Client Orientation – works effectively well with clients and stakeholders
- Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others
- Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience
- Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services
- Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
- Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others.
- Planning and Organizing – plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
- Professionalism – displays mastery of subject matter
- Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation.
- Technological Awareness – displays awareness of relevant technological solutions;
- Resource Mobilization – works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
Please be advised that this is a local position and as such only applications from candidates with a valid residence / working permit residing in Turkey will be considered.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates are requested to submit their application including the most recent CV with a cover letter in English with contact details (name, position, phone and e-mail details) of three references by indicating name of the position applied with its VN number in the subject line of the e-mail to to email@example.com or to IOM Birlik Mahallesi Sehit Kurbani Akboga Sok. No:24 06610, Çankaya, Ankara Turkey by the end of 26 July 2018
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- Sector Civil Society