The Syria crisis is entering its fifth year and millions of Syrians continue to seek refuge in neighboring countries including Turkey. It is estimated that over 12.2 million individuals inside Syria now require humanitarian assistance and 7.6 million are internally displaced (SRP 2015-2016). Over 4 million Syrians have fled as refugees (UNHCR).
As of 01 May 2016, Turkey is hosting over 2.7 million Syrian refugees. Over 260,000 reside in 25 camps (over 9% of the total Syrian refugees) across South East Turkey and the remaining live outside of camps (around 91%). Of the 2 million living outside of camps, the majority are spread across Turkey, with the majority residing in the border provinces, Sanliurfa, Hatay as well as Istanbul, Mersin, and Adana.
In October 2014, the Government of Turkey adapted the Temporary Protection (TP) Regulation that extends protection and assistance to all Syrians in Turkey and provides refugees with rights and duties and the framework to access health care, education, and social assistance.
IOM’s strategy for Turkey as indicated in the 3RP (Regional Refugee and Resilience Plan) is three-pronged; firstly, i) provision of humanitarian assistance focusing on the distribution of food, non-food items, cash vouchers, winterization and provision of transportation, ii) to ease the burden on national and local structures through the establishment of multi-service community centers offering protection and social stabilization for the refugees as well as increase access to education and iii) supporting the resilience of refugees and host communities through livelihoods, community stabilization and income generating activities.
In line with this strategy and in the frame of the activities of the project “Access to services and community stabilization”, IOM is seeking a Psychosocial Animator in its office in Sanliurfa to be part of a mobile outreach team and conduct psychosocial animation sessions and identify cases that needs support from the refugees population living in districts and rural areas without community centres.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
Under the overall supervision of the Head of Sub Office in Sanliurfa and direct supervision of the Community Based Protection Coordinator and in close coordination with the Mobile Outreach Team Leader, the incumbent will:
- Conduct psychosocial animation sessions to the affected Syrian displaced population
Identify cases that require intervention on the psychological level and refer them to the team’s psychologist.
- Positively interact with the refugees, youth and children and encourage them to express their needs and ensure their safety.
- Assist in preparing materials needed for family support sessions, recreational and rights based activities for children, community mobilization, awareness sessions and informal education activities.
- Coordinate with the team members as to integrating referred cases within the psychosocial animation groups.
- Provide psychosocial first aid to the affected population in case of sudden/on-going emergency.
- Prepare reports on the sessions conducted and map existing needs
- Organize support groups and forums for the Syrian displaced population and potentially the host community
- Raise awareness on the services that will be provided by IOM mobile outreach team and the dates of the visits.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
- Undergraduate studies in psychosocial animation in post emergency settings, theatre or cultural animation.
- At least 2 years of previous experiences in psychosocial support activities in emergencies.
- Fluency in English and Arabic is required.
- Knowledge of Turkish is an advantage
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
Please be advised that this is a local position and as such only applications from candidates with a valid residence / working permit residing in Turkey will be considered.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates are requested to submit their application including the most recent CV with a cover letter in English with contact details (name, position, phone and e-mail details) of three references by indicating name of the position applied with its VN number in the subject line of the e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or to IOM Birlik Mahallesi Sehit Kurbani Akboga Sok. No:24 06610, Çankaya, Ankara Turkey by the end of 30 October 2017.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- Sector Civil Society
- Level Employee
- Highest Degree University
- Experience 1-3
- Language Level English (C2, Level 6, Advanced), Arabic (C2, Level 6, Advanced)