|The purpose of this role is to develop the 2-3 year Regional Commercial plan, drawing together Global targets, market insights and market intelligence to agree priorities and focus for Country/Cluster Business Development and 3-5 year Regional Commercial Strategy. This role is ultimately responsible for overseeing Demand Planning for the Region, assessing and monitoring quality of pipeline fill, commercial viability and sales forecasting. The role also ensures the development/tailoring of solutions/value propositions to meet market needs in conjunction with Global Product teams and co-ordinates support for the development of large scale tenders.|
|The British Council is the UK’s international organisation for cultural relations and educational opportunities. We create friendly knowledge and understanding between the people of the UK and other countries. We do this by making a positive contribution to the UK and the countries we work with – changing lives by creating opportunities, building connections and engendering trust. We work with over 100 countries across the world in the fields of arts and culture, English language, education and civil society. Each year we reach over 20 million people face-to-face and more than 500 million people online, via broadcasts and publications. Founded in 1934, we are a UK charity governed by Royal Charter and a UK public body.|
|The English and Examinations Strategic Business Unit (E&E) is one of three strategic business units in the British Council (the others being Arts and Education & Society) all of which have the remit to build trust for the people of the UK by building relationships through aspects of our language and culture. E&E achieves this by enabling people across the world to access the life-changing education and work opportunities that are created by learning English or gaining valuable UK qualifications. Promoting the English language also provides a medium for communication, helping break down barriers of misunderstanding or mistrust between cultures. The British Council’s 2020 vision for English & Examinations is to be the world authority in high quality English language teaching, learning and assessment, as well as the International distributor of choice for UK professional and school qualifications.
The Examinations business makes a significant contribution to British Council financial sustainability, and as such, it is essential that the business evolves in order to maintain its position in a fast-changing operating context. There is a need to standardise and automate activities across the globe to deliver efficiencies, and there is also a requirement to develop new digital products and services to meet changing customer demands and competitive pressures. In a cost and resource-constrained environment, balancing the on-going requirements and allocation of funds will be critical, as will the integration and planning of the implementation of the different changes across a global network of 110+ countries charged with the on-going delivery of impact and income whilst changing key elements of the supporting operational platform.
Main opportunities/challenges for this role:
▪ Translates commercial strategy into detailed Commercial Plan (B2C and B2B)
▪ Links to Regional Operations Manager to ensure future capacity to meet demand within surplus targets
▪ Works with Cluster/Country Commercial Managers and Global teams to assess requirements/ investment return for BD resource in Region and puts forward recommendations to RED and Cluster/Country Exam Directors
▪ Put in place the Global Demand Planning framework for the Region & embeds consistent, effective Demand Planning practices integrated with Operations and adjacent supporting functions
▪ Pull together and validate the commercial picture and pipeline for the Region and develops an audience led cross portfolio Plan
Market & customer intelligence
▪ Draws together market research, Global Product BD targets to develop priorities and focus to input into Region, Cluster/Country Commercial Strategy
▪ Oversees the B2C Demand Plan working with Marketing on pricing and performance
▪ Enables continuous improvement in the quality of product delivery
▪ Builds professional and personal networks with relevant stakeholders and key buyers across the region to ensure a clear understanding of their needs.
▪ Shape detailed Regional plan with Marketing and Customer Services and reviews/reports on effectiveness of delivery
▪ Co-ordinates support for proposal development large tenders, drawing in technical / regional expertise as required
▪ Commissions’ expert advice from internal and external specialists as required to enable informed decision-making.
▪ Leads complex or strategically/commercially important bid presentations/sponsorship appeals/contract or partnership negotiations, as required, ensuring a high quality approach is taken and an appropriate wider team is in play to support such activity, thereby maximising the chances of success.
Account & stakeholder management
▪ Point of contact for Global Product/BD for Input to Global Innovation/BD and integration of Product/Service/ Solution developments into Regional Commercial Plan
Analysis & Reporting
▪ Monitors and tracks demand performance, customer experience and manages monthly reporting at Regional level and to Global
▪ Identifies reporting improvements to enhance efficiency
▪ Coaches and mentors more junior colleagues to build their account management effectiveness.
▪ Personally leads complex or key account/stakeholder/sponsor/partner relationships to support the achievement of agreed commercial and impact targets over both the short- to medium-term.
▪ Put in place and manages Global BD reporting for the Region
Leadership & management
▪ Ensure right capability in place through succession planning and career coaching.
▪ Identifies requirements and Provides platforms for upskilling and knowledge /skills exchange between within cluster.
▪ Enables a climate of constructive feedback and productive workplace performance.
▪ Has a formal role in supporting the development of wider strategy within the region
▪ Pulls together and ensures delivery of robust Learning & Development Plan to develop Business Pursuit, Account Relationship Management skills to required standard
§ Global Product Leads/Team
§ Regional Marketing
§ Regional Operations Manager
§ Cluster Exams Lead
§ Cluster Commercial Manager
§ Exams Business Manager
§ Country Directors
§ Customer Services
§ Finance and HR
§ Global/Regional level (B2B/C/G) partners, agencies, receiving organisations (RO’s),regulators and key partners on distribution and schools
- Sector Service
- Level Senior Manager
- Language Level English (C2, Level 6, Advanced)