Start date: 1st March 2018, or to be agreed upon.
Location: Africa, Turkey & The Silk Route.
RET International is an independent, impartial, non-partisan humanitarian organisation headquartered in Geneva, Switzerland. Founded in 2000 by Mrs Sadako Ogata (then United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees), RET International is committed to working in emergencies and fragile environments around the world to ensure the protection and resilience of vulnerable young people through education.
Since inception, RET International has worked in 29 countries affected by crises and fragile environments. This extensive presence in the field has positively impacted the lives of over 1.2 million learners, 51% of which are women, paving the way to more peaceful and stable communities by empowering a generation of young people to become actors of positive social change. In all, RET International has reached nearly 6 million indirect beneficiaries.
While RET has staff from approximately 40 countries, nearly all are local. That is to say almost 100% of the staff in each country of operations are citizens of that country or eventually of neighbouring countries, with only very few expats operating regionally or from headquarters. RET connects local experience with global expertise. Today, we are a team of approximatively 1200 members working throughout the world.
As a key member of the Management Team, the Regional Internal Auditor (RIA) will report to the Chief of Staff (CoS). The RIA will oversee the work of the Regional Internal Audit Department in the regional office and has a working relationship with the management at HQ and in each country of operations.
The RIA assists RET in accomplishing its objectives by bringing a systematic and disciplined approach to evaluate and improve the effectiveness of RET’s governance, risk management and internal control. As part of the overall assurance framework, Internal Audit helps in ensuring the reliability of internal and external reporting and assists in ensuring compliance with laws and regulations.
In order to achieve this aim, the RIA carries out independent assessments and reports thereon to the CoS. Each assignment undertaken by the RIA is intended to provide independent, objective assurance as well as recommendations designed to add value and improve the operations of RET.
Internal Compliance and Review
- Delivery from planning to completion of the programme of work set out as per the IAC as part of the continuous auditing element of the Internal Audit Plan
- Evaluating risk exposure relating to achievement of RET’s strategic objectives in the region and reporting accordingly
- Evaluating the reliability and integrity of information and the means used to identify, measure, classify, and report such information
- Updating the status of the previous internal and external findings on a quarterly basis, auditing resolved issues and preparing quarterly status report for review
- Presentation of clear, concise and timely working papers in line with International Internal Auditing Standards for review
- Timely delivery of professionally written reports and practical value adding recommendations on issues arising from the audits
- Driving a policy of best practice with a focus on continuous improvement and awareness across RET with respect to internal control, risk and corporate governance
- Developing and maintaining productive business relationships across all departments/units in RET
- Coordination with external auditors and evaluating the implementations of all issues raised during external audit
- Evaluating specific operations at the request of the management, as appropriate
Finance Advisory Roles
- Advising on the correct accounting and fiscal management, in accordance with RET’s policies and procedures and the laws and accounting procedures established in the legislation of each country in the region
- Reviewing the periodic financial reports in accordance with the relevant accounting standards and RET´s procedures before submission to the relevant authorities/donors
- Monitoring of the projects’ budgets, in coordination with the Regional Finance Officer. Identifying and reporting any inconsistency found
- Advising on the general organisation, recruitment and deployment of finance teams
- Reviewing compliance with contractual obligations, social contributions and wages in accordance with the various legislations
- Evaluating means of safeguarding assets (whether owned by RET or donor issued) and, as appropriate, verifying the existence of such assets including stock items
- Reviewing compliance with the administrative procedures of RET
- Education: Minimum Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Accounting and / or Business Administration. Professional qualification in Accountancy (CPA, ACCA, etc) a must. CISA or CIA qualification an added advantage
- Experience: Minimum 8 years of experience in a busy audit environment – external or internal, 3 of which must be in a senior position. Previous experience in International Non-Governmental Organizations is considered as an added advantage
- Personal Requirements: Communicative skills; Effectiveness and rigor in the management of processes, focusing on objectives
- Organisational skills including the ability to strategically prioritise and meet established goals
- Ability to work flexibly under difficult circumstances as well as good teamwork ability
- Proactive attitude and professionalism; attention to detail
- Languages: Excellent English a must. Knowledge of French an added advantage
- Integrity and personal quality (mandatory references)
- Ability to travel within the regions or RET Operations when called upon
Applications are to be sent before 31 January 2018 and must contain:
- a complete and up-to-date CV;
- a cover letter (mention your salary requirements annualised in USD);
RET Is an equal opportunity employer.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- Sector Civil Society
- Level Senior Manager
- Highest Degree Doctorate, Master, University
- Experience 10-24
- Language Level Turkish (C2, Level 6, Advanced), English (C2, Level 6, Advanced), French (C2, Level 6, Advanced)