TERMS OF REFERENCE (Sep 2017)
Position Title: Security Risk Manager (Turkish nationals only)
Reports To: AfMENA Regional Security Manager
Location of position: Gazientep, Turkey
Adam Smith International is an award-winning professional services business that delivers real impact, value and lasting change through projects supporting economic growth and government reform internationally. We specialise in the design, management and delivery of complex projects.
Position Context & Purpose
The Security Risk Manager is a member of the Afghanistan, Middle East & North Africa geographical team. He / She is responsible for the security risk management functions within Syria and Turkey. The position provides support and advice to the Regional Security Manager and Head of Syria to ensure security activities for all Adam Smith International (ASI) Turkey and Syria projects are functioning according to internal policies, guidelines, procedures and donor requirements. Other key relationships include Team Leaders, Programme Managers and the Turkey Operations Manager.
Role & Responsibilities Description
- Learn and review all security and duty of care drills and procedures in ASI’s SOPs to ensure relevance and application to local and global guidelines
- Ensure security documents such as: Emergency Response, Security Risk Management and Crisis and Emergency Plans as well as Standard Security Operating Procedures are understood by ASI staff
- Manage the Security Risk team to discharge its responsibilities including physical security
- Support Project Managers in ensuring that ASI duty of care responsibilities are discharged on all projects
- Consistent analysis of threats and advice on implementation of mitigating actions
- Provide general security support and guidance during meetings and workshops
- Review and disseminate security reports, as appropriate, provided to ASI by external providers
- Gather and analyse information and intelligence, and share with relevant stakeholders in accordance with ASI SOPs
- Ensure Security Incident and Situation Reports are accurate, up to date and disseminated as required in accordance with ASI policies and procedures
- Maintain situational awareness of all ASI operating environments
- Manage Turkey and Syria security incidents and emergencies through liaison with Turkey and Syria-based staff according to SOPs
- Assist in the co-ordination of the emergency and/or medical evacuation of staff if required
- Manage and maintain the common operating picture across all projects
Strategic Security Risk Management:
- Maintain liaison with and advise the Head of Syria, programme Team Leaders and Turkey Operations Managers
- Develop key liaisons with Turkish government agencies including law enforcement
- Develop key liaisons with NGOs, companies and international bodies involved in providing support to Syria
- Monitor the Turkish government’s position on Syria support and on NGOs, companies and international bodies involved in Syria support
- Prepare and disseminate Turkey and Syria risk mitigation plans concerning outstanding risks to staff and programmes
- Participate in meetings with Turkey and Syria project teams
- Management of the Turkey security team and assistants
- Manage the vetting of all new potential Turkish and Syrian staff across all projects and operations and maintain vetting records.
- Manage the review of social media (including Arabic-language) sources daily for relevant information / intelligence.
- Produce short weekly and monthly reports on events that include a security risk assessment and threat levels to determine necessary actions
- Oversee and initiate relevant communication to all ASI staff through various means – email, whatsapp group, phone tree – including post-event analysis and outcomes
- Manage the daily staff and consultant in-country lists and movement trackers for Syria and Turkey
- Consistantly review the overall risk position of ASI and provide recommendations
The Security Manager will at all times exercise complete discretion and confidentiality in relation to their professional duties and in accordance with ASI guidelines.
Required Skills & Qualifications
- A minimum of eight years security and management experience within an active wartime environment for a government, international development or humanitarian organisation or similar
- Excellent networks in government, NGOs, and security and risk fields in Turkey and/or Syria
- Strong understanding of the socio-economic and political conditions of Syria and Turkey
- A thorough understanding of the Turkish governance system and its members.
- Ability to develop and maintain relationships at all levels within an organization comprising staff from different cultural and backgrounds
- Significant experience in team management and direction
- Excellent communication, organizational and prioritization skills with the ability to multi-task and support and/or fill multiple positions at one time
- Fluent written and spoken Turkish and English
- Spoken Arabic highly desirable
- Advanced computer skills, particularly in Microsoft Office
How to apply:
Please send your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org
Email subject line should read – APPLICATION SECURITY RISK MANAGER
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- Sector Civil Society