Senior Livelihoods Officers
We are looking for a highly qualified Senior Livelihoods Officers for Phase 2 and Phase 3 for our program in Kilis , Turkey.
Who are we?
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is a humanitarian, non-governmental and non-profit organization, founded in 1956, that works in more than 35 countries around the world. DRC has been operating in Turkey since early 2013, working with by and large with non-camp Syrian refugees and affected host communities. DRC is committed to basic humanitarian principles; including impartiality and neutrality, and offers the highest standards of accountability to the people it serves. The overall objective for DRC in Turkey is the protection and promotion of durable solutions to displacement affected populations on the basis of humanitarian principles and human rights with more immediate objectives focusing both on the immediate subsistence needs, protection and self-reliance support as well as a more long term focus on capacity building. In Turkey, DRC works partially through partners, also providing intensive capacity building support, while also conducting direct implementation.
About the job
DRC’s livelihoods programming aims to build the capacities and assets of vulnerable Syrian and host community individuals to enhance their social and economic self-reliance. Programme activities include; counselling, provision of transferrable skills, vocational skills training, job referrals and/or provision of home-based small business grants.
The Senior Livelihoods Officer – Phase 2 & Phase 3 (Economic Self-reliance & Income Generation / Entrepreneurship) develops the strategy for income generation and entrepreneurship, leads the procurement processes as part of the Productive Asset Support, works in close cooperation with the staff of the implementing partners and the business incubator manager to improve market integration by beneficiaries and increase the chances of survival of their small businesses, provides regular and tailored technical and operational guidance to the implementing partners to ensure quality implementation and oversees daily activities to ensure expected results and targets are met.
The Senior Livelihoods Officer – Phase 2 & Phase 3 (Economic Self-Reliance & Income Generation / Entrepreneurship) works in close cooperation with the staff of the implementing partner to map Turkish and Syrian SMEs and potential employers for beneficiaries (job referrals), provides regular and tailored technical and operational guidance to the implementing partners to ensure quality implementation and oversees daily activities to ensure expected results and targets are met.
The Senior Livelihoods Officer – Phase 2 & Phase 3 plays an essential role in building the capacity of the implementing partners’ staff and in ensuring smooth coordination between DRC and its implementing partners.
Duties and Responsibilities
General Programming & operations (40%)
- Provide oversight of all Phase 3 activities taking place at the Livelihoods/Training centres through close coordination with implementing partner as well as the Phase 2 activity of job referral
- Provide oversight of all Phase 1 activities taking place at the Livelihoods/Training centres through close coordination with implementing partner as well as the phase 2 activity of technical & vocational trainings
- Develop the strategy for social self-reliance and economic self-reliance in the respective area (counselling and provision of high range of transferrable and soft skills & counselling and provision of high range of technical and vocational skills and on-the-job trainings)
- Map, identify and develop relationships with relevant external service providers providing transferrable and soft skills trainings as well as the technical & vocational trainings
- Maintain and manage the relationships with the external service providers and communicate all relevant information to the implementing partners in a structured and timely manner
- Work in close collaboration with the Senior Officer Phase 2 & Phase 3 to identify ways of referring beneficiaries to the relevant career path, either employment (job referrals) or self-employment (income generation / entrepreneurship).
- Develop the strategy for job referrals, income generation / entrepreneurship activities (business skills development, productive asset support, small business grants) and lead the development of new tools.
- Develop the strategy for economic self-reliance (counselling for the job referrals and linkage with private sectors).
- Develop a mapping of all stakeholders working in Business Development in the area and develop potential collaboration .
- Work in close collaboration with the Senior Officer Phase 1 & Phase 2 to identify ways of referring beneficiaries to the relevant career path, either employment (job referrals) or self-employment (income generation / entrepreneurship).
- Maintain regular interactions with the Market Mapping and Analysis Unit to ensure the relevance and impact of job referrals, business skills development and entrepreneurship activities.
- Lead the procurement process for Productive Asset Support, including coordinating with all support departments within DRC.
- Follow-up the budget for relevant budget lines, with the support of the coordinator.
- Analyse at all times the changing needs amongst Syrians and refugee groups to ensure DRC provides relevant activities.
- Analyse and identify, with the team of the implementing partners, new approaches for business skills trainings and small business grants to ensure implementation is relevant to the needs of beneficiaries.
- Analyse and identify, with the team of the implementing partners, new approaches for job referrals (including web-based platform and mobile applications for job matching) to ensure implementation is relevant to the needs of beneficiaries.
- Identify the need for assessments as well as focus group discussions with beneficiaries and support the team of the implementing partner in undertaking them.
- Participate in facilitating and coordinating activities within the team and with other DRC’s departments.
Technical support – interactions with implementing partner (40%)
- Work closely with the Livelihoods Officer – Training and the Livelihoods Officer – Income Generation of the implementing partner and Business Incubator Manager to identify capacity building needs for the implementing team.
- Provide capacity building to the staff of the implementing partners based on jointly developed capacity building plans.
- Support, guide and coach implementing partner’s staff on technical and operational issues for quality implementation and follow up on recommendations to ensure quality control throughout implementation.
- Provide guidance on how to integrate cross-cutting protection considerations into planned. interventions.
- Promote an open and supportive environment for implementing partner’s staff.
- Ensure that the implementing partner produces detailed report on activities weekly.
- Ensure and plan with the implementing partners project monitoring visits.
- Proactively seek for new partnerships for business skills training and entrepreneurship activities as well as job referral opportunities
- Work in close cooperation with the market mapping and analysis unit, the productive asset assistant, the business incubator manager to improve market integration by beneficiaries and increase the chances of survival of their small businesses and to map Turkish and Syrian SMEs and potential employers for beneficiaries (job referrals)
- Promote and ensure at all times a pragmatic and efficient dialogue as well as networking with local institutions and authorities, private Institutes, workshops, national and international NGOs, etc.
- Coordinate with the rest of DRC Turkey team whenever needed
Monitoring & Evaluation (5%)
- Provide regular reporting on indicators, achievements and challenges related to the project in close coordination with the implementing partner
- Facilitate the qualitative and quantitative monitoring of the project through team meetings, focus group, post-assistance visits, regular reporting and any other monitoring tools.
- Participate in the internal evaluation of the programme.
- If requested by the Livelihoods Coordinator or the Livelihoods Manager, represent DRC in livelihoods working groups and interagency planning workshops.
- Any other duties as agreed with the Livelihoods Coordinator, Livelihoods Area Manager, Are Manager and Livelihoods Program Manager
To be successful in this role you must have Bachelor’s degree or higher in international human rights, law, sociology, social work, or other relevant field
Moreover, we also expect the following:
- At least 2 years of relevant professional livelihood experience with a humanitarian aid organization.
- Minimum 1 year in a similar position.
- High-level of knowledge and practice with Word, Excel, Outlook, etc. required.
- Fluency in English, and either Arabic or Turkish both written and verbal.
- Experience working in the field (preferably experience from Southern Turkey).
- Experience with managing partnerships with local organizations.
- Experience engaging with the private sector Experience engaging with the private sector.
- Willingness to relocate to south/south-eastern Turkey, and to travel within and between provinces.
- Proven analytical and writing skills.
- Proven communication, interpersonal, representation, negotiation, promotion and diplomacy skills.
- Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships in a multi-ethnic, multi-cultural and multi-disciplinary environment.
- Ability to provide capacity building support to members of a different organization.
- Flexible, enthusiastic and willingness to learn from others.
- Strong initiative and self-motivated.
- Ability to multi-task and cope with competing demands under tight deadlines.
- Project Management (including budget / contract management).
- Project monitoring (including reporting and data management).
- Understanding of the rights and protection issues of refugees, children and women – experience working with Syrian refugees is an advantage.
- An understanding of humanitarian/civil society issues in Turkey and the region
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with our vision and values.
DRC will offer the successful applicant a 2 Months’ contract, renewable dependent on both funding and performance. You must be available to start work from 01 November 2017 and be willing and able to work in Kilis/Hatay.
We offer a fair compensation package depending on your qualification and experiences as well as additional allowances such as relocation allowance and living allowances, if applicable. DRC Turkey is income tax exempted.
Apply for the position Senior Livelihoods Officer Phase 2&3 in Kilis by clicking on the apply button,
All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages). Both must be in the same language as this vacancy note. CV only applications will not be considered.
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please contact email@example.com
Applications close 22 October 2017. The interviews are expected to take place within 1 week after the application close date.
Need further information?
For more details on this position please contact HR team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note that applications sent directly to HR Team will not be considered.
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website www.drc.ngo
- Sector Civil Society
- Level Employee
- Highest Degree Doctorate, Master, University
- Experience 4-9
- Language Level Turkish (C2, Level 6, Advanced), English (C2, Level 6, Advanced), Arabic (C1, Level 5, Upper Intermediate)