Job Title: Compliance Officer
Vacancy Number: TK2017-83
Location: Gaziantep, Turkey
Timeframe: Subject to funding.
Please note that this position is a local hire position.
Global Communities’ Office of Humanitarian Assistance (OHA) has developed a strategy for the organization’s response to the Syria crisis, anchored in a field presence. Specifically, OHA is responding directly in Syria, intensifying GC’s assistance to Syrian IDP’s. This is being carried out through an approach to programming where projects focus on the sustainability rather than relief delivery. GC is a fully registered organization in Turkey and has built its humanitarian response capacity in Turkey.
Global Communities (GC) intends to hire a full-time Compliance Officer (SOW herein) to facilitate the compliance of organizational functions with donor, government regulations as well as internal policies and controls. GC is seeking a professional to be based in Gaziantep.
The Compliance Officer reports to Compliance Director.
The Compliance Officer is responsible for the following:
- Assist the Compliance Director in the development and update of the compliance plan.
- In coordination with supervisor, perform Compliance Reviews and Internal Audits, according to the approved plan as well as based on special requests, including but not limited to the following:
- Review and analyze the extent to which GC’s internal policies, rules and guidelines are complied with, including conducting walkthroughs and tests that systematically assess whether systems and controls are operating as per policies, procedures and donor regulations.
- Review the adequacy and effectiveness of GC’s partners/sub-awardees’ systems and internal controls, ensuring that they offer adequate protection against error, fraud, loss or non-compliance.
- Conduct site visits, perform market price analysis, vendor visits and other related tasks in line with the existing methodology to achieve objectives of compliance reviews or audits.
- Produce high quality workpapers to document all issues resulting from the above-mentioned procedures, in line with the existing methodology.
- Discuss issues observed, with relevant staff at corresponding levels of GC to gather their input and to establish root causes of each issue.
- Summarize results of the review in Compliance or Audit Reports according to the approved format, referencing corresponding policies, guidelines, and outlining recommended corrective actions.
- Stay informed of and assess adherence to GC and donor policies and procedures in relation to Procurement, Finance, HR, Logistics, as set out in relevant manuals and guidelines.
- In coordination with supervisor, deliver training, capacity building and support to GC staff and/or partners to enhance their knowledge and understanding of GC and donor policies and procedures.
- Support supervisor in compiling timely and accurate regular and ad-hoc management reports.
- Maintain proper filing system, both hard-copy and electronic, providing evidence and solid supporting documentation for all the reviews performed by the department.
- Assist Compliance Director in drafting and updating department-related documentation, including but not limited to: relevant tools, policy and procedures, materials for trainings, assessments, etc.
- Ensure high level of confidentiality and security of entrusted data is maintained at all times.
- Any other job related tasks requested by the supervisor.
EDUCATION AND TRAINING
- University degree in Accounting, Business Administration, Financial Management or Economics.
- Familiarity with and understanding of USAID and other international donors’ policies and procedures is strongly preferred.
- Familiarity and experience with Turkish regulations related to finance, commerce and governance is required.
- Completion of Certified Internal Auditor program would be an asset.
- Experience in undertaking interviews and inspections would be an advantage.
- Minimum of 2 years’ or equivalent experience in the field of compliance, audit (internal or external), accounting, financial management, internal control evaluation, etc. A Master’s degree on a relevant subject may be considered as equivalent of 1 year work experience.
- Professional experience working in a similar organization (international NGO or UN) is strongly preferred.
- Strong analytical and reporting skills
- Ability to work independently while being a strong team player, be proactive problem-solver.
- Attention to detail
- Excellent command of Microsoft Excel; good knowledge of standard office programs
- Ability and confidence to communicate effectively (verbally and in writing) at all levels of the organization
- Fluency in written/spoken Turkish and excellent command of written/spoken English
- Knowledge of Arabic will be an asset
- Sets high standards for quality of work and consistently achieves established goals
- Ability to work under pressure
- Must be flexible, willing to perform assigned and additional duties and work irregular hours
This position is open to candidates authorized to work in Turkey as local employees.
To apply please send your CV and Cover Letter to: email@example.com no later than November 20, 2017. Please, make sure to put the Job Title and Vacancy Number in the subject section, otherwise the application will not be considered. Applications in languages other than English will not be reviewed. Please be advised that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- Sector Civil Society