Position: Compliance Manager
Location: Gaziantep, Turkey
Report to: Compliance Director
Vacancy #: TK2018-03
Please note that this position is a local hire position.
Global Communities’ Office of Humanitarian Assistance (OHA) has developed a strategy for the organization’s response to the Syria crisis, anchored in a field presence. Specifically, OHA is responding directly in Syria, intensifying GC’s assistance to Syrian IDP’s. This is being carried out through an approach to programming where projects focus on the sustainability rather than relief delivery. GC is a fully registered organization in Turkey and has built its humanitarian response capacity in Turkey.
Global Communities (GC) intends to hire a full-time Compliance Manager to facilitate the compliance of organizational functions with donor and local regulations, internal policies and controls. The role will provide advice on internal controls and risk management techniques and requires advanced management skills, good knowledge and understanding of risk management and compliance aspects within Supply Chain, Finance, HR and Programs. This is a senior-level position, based in Gaziantep and reporting to Compliance Director.
- Stay informed of and ensure adherence to GC and donor procedures and policies in relation to Supply Chain, Finance, HR and Programs, as set out in relevant GC manuals and guidelines.
- Develop and update Compliance department plan, in coordination with Compliance Director.
- Contribute to the risk identification and assessment processes in the organization.
- Proactively build and lead effective and practical tracking of compliance initiatives, completed compliance plans and ongoing compliance issues, including development of corresponding tools and other appropriate means.
- Review the adequacy and effectiveness of GC’s and partners’ systems and internal policies, rules and guidelines, ensuring that these controls offer adequate protection against error, fraud and loss of all kinds.
- Build an effective and innovative training program that focuses on maintaining and improving a culture of integrity, in support of the Standards of Conduct, fraud prevention and other areas, in coordination with supervisor. Develop and deliver training, capacity building and support to GC staff and/or partners to enhance their knowledge and understanding of GC and donor policies and procedures.
- Support Compliance Director in proactively identifying potential areas of compliance vulnerability and risk and developing corrective action plans, including providing general guidance on how to prevent similar situations in the future.
- Provide written feedback for GC’s policies, procedures, manuals and other key documents at their development or modification stage, ensuring their alignment with relevant policies and regulations from GC Headquarters and relevant donors.
- Maintain proper electronic filing system, providing evidence and solid supporting documentation for all compliance reviews and initiatives performed by the department. Develop and update department’s internal tools and materials, including but not limited to: technical workpapers, department’s policies and procedures, training materials, assessments, investigations, etc.
- Perform Compliance Reviews, according to the approved plan, as well as based on special requests, including but not limited to: reviews of procurements, GC’s and partners’ financial records, performing investigations, conducting process walkthroughs, tests and other types of engagements.
- Document Compliance reviews through high-quality workpapers, in line with the existing methodology, systems and tools. Summarize results of Compliance reviews in clear and concise reports, referencing corresponding policies, guidelines, and give appropriate recommendation and actions, providing advice and suggestions on improvements to systems and procedures as appropriate.
- Produce timely and accurate regular and ad-hoc reports for management and departmental needs.
- Respond to ad hoc queries in relation to donor specific queries.
- Ensure high level of confidentiality and security of entrusted data is maintained at all times.
- Any other job related tasks assigned by the supervisor.
- Supervise, mentor and evaluate Compliance staff, communicating clear performance goals and standards, offering regular performance feedback and prompt resolution of problems.
- Review workpapers produced by Compliance Officers, provide written suggestions for revisions, ensuring adherence to quality standards and keeping a clear trail of review notes and edits.
- Finalize the reviews, ensuring their timeliness, producing clear reports with a strong focus on addressing the risks and providing value-added, solution-driven recommendations for management’s follow-up, referencing corresponding policies, guidelines.
Education and Training
- University degree in Accounting, Business Administration, Financial Management, Economics or other compliance-related
- Demonstrated familiarity with and understanding of USAID and other international donor regulations.
- Completion of Certified Internal Auditor program would be an asset.
- Experience in undertaking interviews, inspections and investigations would be an advantage.
- Minimum of 6 years’ or equivalent experience in the field of compliance, audit (internal or external), financial management, internal control evaluation, etc. A Master’s degree on a relevant subject may be considered as equivalent of 1 year work experience.
- Professional experience working in a similar management role in humanitarian organization (international NGO or UN) is required.
- Strong analytical skills and demonstrated ability to solve complex problems
- Excellent planning, organizational, and analytical skills
- Demonstrated ability to communicate clearly, concisely and persuasively both orally and in writing, and deliver presentations, training, and facilitate meetings effectively
- Ability to work independently while being a strong team player, be proactive problem-solver
- Ability to work under pressure
- Excellent command of Microsoft Excel, good knowledge of standard Ms Office programs
- Experience and familiarity with key donor policies and procedures
- Sets high standards for quality of work and consistently achieves established goals
- Accuracy and attention to detail
- Must be flexible, willing to perform assigned and additional duties and work irregular hours
- Ability and confidence to communicate effectively (verbally and in writing) at senior levels of the organization
- Ability to work well in unstable and frequently changing security environments
- Proficiency with English and Arabic/Turkish languages, both verbal and written.
This position is open to candidates authorized to work in Turkey as local employees.
To apply please send your CV and Cover Letter with three references to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than February 04, 2018 and mention the position you are applying for to the subject section.
Applications will be reviewed upon the receipt of CV’s. Please be advised that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Applications in languages other than English will not be reviewed.
This position is open to candidates authorized to work in Turkey as local employees and non-Turkish candidates are required to have a valid residency permit.
- Sector Civil Society