Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
The IOM is the only international inter-governmental agency with a specific mandate for migration and is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing technical expertise to governments, migrants and host communities through a wide range of sustainable solutions contributing to end forced migration and/or improve displacement conditions. IOM has also a leading role in the Camp Coordination and Camp Management (CCCM) Cluster, participates in coordinated humanitarian responses, and engages in inter-agency collaboration to meet the needs of affected-persons and contribute to their protection.
The conflict and violence in Syria has continued to create surges of people crossing the borders from Syria into neighbouring countries. The number of Syrians registered or awaiting registration in host countries has surpassed 5 million and 6.2 million have been displaced inside Syria. Host governments and humanitarian actors, including IOM, are providing relief assistance and protection to this extremely vulnerable population living with host families and in increasingly crowded camps and settlements.
As a member of the UN Humanitarian Country Team in Syria and all concerned neighbouring countries (Jordan, Lebanon, Iraq, and Turkey), the IOM Director General has activated the L3 Emergency SOPs to enhance organizational humanitarian assistance and priorities related to IDPs, refugees and returnees, and is actively participating in the emergency response within this rapidly changing humanitarian context.
As of July 2017, Turkey is hosting over 3 million Syrian refugees. About 244,000 reside in 23 camps across South East Turkey and the remaining live outside of camps. In October 2014, the Government of Turkey adapted the Temporary Protection (TP) Regulation that extends protection and assistance to all Syrians in Turkey and provides refugees with rights and duties and the framework to access health care, education, and social assistance.
IOM’s strategy for Turkey as indicated in the 3RP (Regional Refugee and Resilience Plan) is three-pronged; firstly, i) provision of humanitarian assistance focusing on the distribution of food, non-food items, cash vouchers, winterization, shelter rehabilitation, and provision of transportation, ii) to ease the burden on national and local structures through the establishment of multi-service community centres offering services and protection, community stabilization through improvements in public infrastructure and increase access to education and iii) supporting the resilience of refugees and host communities through livelihoods, community stabilisation and income generating activities.
Under the overall supervision of the Public Information Officer and in close coordination with Communications Assistants in Ankara and Gaziantep, the incumbent will be responsible for providing support to a wide range of IOM Turkey programs and departments including Migration Management, Refugee Response and Cross-Border in order to meet increasing demands for high quality print and digital information materials. The incumbent will work across diverse projects supporting teams during project implementation to enhance visibility and documentation efforts that contribute to IOM Turkey’s overall communications efforts and brand.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Produce high-quality compelling content for print and digital use (graphs, charts, maps, diagrams, and graphics) that illustrate project outcomes and achievements to external audiences such as donors, the government of Turkey, host communities and target beneficiaries.
2. Design and lay-out reports and other communication materials (info sheets, bulletins, banners, etc) for printing and electronic distribution; Improve and edit art-work, photos, charts and other graphic elements; Create animations and AV slides for presentations and video production; Custom photo editing (restoration, noise reduction, tonal adjustment).
3. Implement IOM’s branding policy: Ensure that all reports, info sheets, banners, and other products are produced in line with IOM graphic guidelines; Deliver creative and innovative ideas for print, electronic, web-based and animated presentations.
4. Liaise with project teams to implement donor visibility guidelines with a particular focus on EU-funded projects.
5. Assist in standardizing all existing products and templates such as info sheets, presentations, situation reports as well as fonts, formatting, icons, images and layout techniques. Coordinate with IOM’s Publications Unit at Headquarters as needed.
6. Coordinate with PI team to organize and maintain all content in a central file-sharing system.
7. Coordinate the outsourcing of any design production with external vendors, as needed, in line with the Procurement department.
8. Take photos and shoot and edit video as necessary.
9. Create content in both Turkish and English languages and provide translation support as needed.
10. Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• University degree in Media, Graphic Design, Communications or a related field from an accredited academic institution, with three years of relevant professional experience; or
• Completed High school degree from an accredited academic institution, with five years of relevant professional experience;
• Excellent knowledge of graphic design and video editing softwares;
• Proficiency with software packages, most specifically Adobe Suite (InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, Premiere Pro and After Effects) and MS Office (Publisher, PowerPoint, Visio) Tableau and any other communication software;
• Knowledge of web design tools and CMS Drupal a plus;
• Proven strong background in developing communication tools;
• Strong understanding of new and evolving technologies and digital platforms;
• Proven strong organizational skills and practical experience of how to multi-task, prioritize and work independently;
• Working experience in development or humanitarian environment is desirable
• Fluency in Turkish and English is required.
• Arabic is an advantage.
• Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms
• Client Orientation – works effectively well with clients and stakeholders
• Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others
• Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience
• Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services
• Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
• Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others.
• Planning and Organizing – plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
• Professionalism – displays mastery of subject matter
• Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation.
• Technological Awareness – displays awareness of relevant technological solutions;
• Resource Mobilization – works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
Please be advised that this is a local position and as such only applications from candidates with a valid residence / working permit residing in Turkey will be considered.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates are requested to submit their application including the most recent CV with a cover letter in English with contact details (name, position, phone and e-mail details) of three references by indicating name of the position applied with its VN number in the subject line of the e-mail to email@example.com or to IOM Birlik Mahallesi Sehit Kurbani Akboga Sokak No:24 Cankaya, Ankara by the end of 07 March 2018.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- Sector Media / Communication / Public Relations, Civil Society
- Level Employee
- Language Level Turkish (C2, Level 6, Advanced), English (C2, Level 6, Advanced)