Place: Ankara, Turkey
Position: Project Linguistic Assistant
Duration: 01.06.2023 – 31.12.2023
Reference Number: Ankara2023-01
Project: Promotion of Access to Justice by International Protection Applicants, Status-holders and Temporary Protection Beneficiaries in Turkey
The applications should be submitted to email@example.com no later than May 12th, 2023 by indicating reference number.
Only the short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Currently, over 3.7 million Syrians under temporary protection and over 350.000 international protection applicants and statute holders from different countries live in Turkey. This large group, which is seeking international protection in Turkey with various legal statutes, may face different legal problems in daily life. These people can be a party to legal disputes from decisions such as refoulement, which can directly affect one’s right to life; to divorce, domestic violence and work-place accidents. It is important that these people, majority of whom are facing economic difficulties, are supported in access to justice.
“Promotion of Access to Justice by International Protection Applicants, Status-holders and Temporary Protection Beneficiaries in Turkey” aims to ensure the access of international protection applicants, statute holders and persons under temporary protection, who are a party to a legal dispute, to qualified legal assistance.
Activities within the Project will be conducted under 3 components which have been summarized below.
The first step to cover the gaps in the system has been taken through the establishment of model legal clinics in Şanlıurfa, Hatay, Gaziantep, Kilis and Malatya with the cooperation of the Union of Turkish Bar Associations, Local Bar Association and the UNHCR. The access of international protection applicants, statute holders and persons under temporary protection to correct and full legal assistance services to be carried out under professional ethical supervision has been ensured through the legal clinic. Awareness raising activities, legal representation in cases which may contribute to the case law within the field, advocacy activities and vocational and trainee trainings may also be conducted through the clinic to be established.
Within the scope of the legal aid component of the project, trainings on “International Protection and Refugee Law” were held in 43 provinces. On the other hand, an automation system was established to assign the trained lawyers to legal aid cases of refugees, asylum seekers and temporary protection beneficiaries.
ln this respect, the attorney fees, litigation expenses, notary expenses, including issuance of power of attorney, translation and interpretation, as well as the lawyers' transportation costs to visit their clients are being covered and the automation system is being operated in order to enable financial transactions to the lawyers and to cover the expenses of the above outlined items.
As the third one, UNHCR- UTBA Interpretation Line is also one of the components listed under the Project. This line has been operating with one administrative assistant, one Arabic interpreter, one French interpreter and one Pasthu/ Dari interpreter in the direct implementation modality.
The objective of this position is to carry out the interpretation/translation duties within the scope of the project, to support the implementation of the project and to contribute to the communication and cooperation among partners; in order to reach the project outcomes.
3. Responsibilities of the Project Linguistic Assistant
The Project Linguistic Assistant will be responsible of the following duties:
- To collect, record and preserve information on the Project activities and to do reporting
- To translate the documents to be produced within the scope of the project
- To provide interpretation assistance in project meetings
- To prepare status and progress reports, to conduct routine communications
- To assist the preparation of required material to be used in discussions and meetings
- To follow the implementation and performance of project outcomes through work plans, progress reports, budget, financial reports and expenditures
- To be in communication and cooperation with the UTBA, UNHCR and UNDP regarding the implementation of the project
- To carry out other tasks
4. Organizational Framework
The physical working environment of the Project Linguistic Assistant will be provided by the UTBA. The linguistic assistant will report to the UTBA, and work in close coordination and cooperation with other project staff and partners. The incumbent will sign an employment contract of definite duration with the UTBA, and will be employed within the International Relations and EU Centre.
5. Required Qualifications
- To have completed a four-year undergraduate degree of relevant departments; Department of English Language and Literature, the Department of Translation and Interpreting
- At least 2-year experience in related fields
- Computer skills
- Fluency in Turkish and English
- Experience in projects funded by the UN, donors and/or NGOs is an asset.
- Experience with ORACLE, PeopleSoft based software (ATLAS) is an asset.
- To have completed military service for male candidates.
- Internships are not considered work experience.
- Compulsory military service is not considered work experience.
- Experiences gained prior to undergraduate education are not considered work experience.
6. Additional Documents Required
- One-page letter of intent explaining the relevance to the position
- CV including related work experience and at least two references
The candidates meeting the minimum requirements within the terms of reference will be short-listed. The short-listed candidates will be called for an interview. The interviews will be conducted in English/Turkish.
8. Salary Information
The monthly gross wage of the worker is 28,300,00 TL.
Türkiye Barolar Birliği Başkanlığı
Türkiye Barolar Birliği, yasaların bir meslek kuruluşu olarak kendisine yüklediği görevlerinin yanında, toplumun hukuki sorunlarıyla ilgili görüş ve önerileriyle de Türk hukuk sisteminin gelişmesine katkı sağlamaktadır. Bünyesinde oluşturduğu alt komisyonlarda; yasal düzenlemelerle ilgili çalışma yapmakta, özellikle demokrasi ve insan hakları adına uygulamada ortaya çıkan aksamalara karşı sorumluluk bilinciyle etkin bir biçimde mücadele vermektedir.