The UN Volunteer will support the work of the evaluation section across a range of SDGs corresponding to UNICEF programmes on education, health, youth and participation, immunization, WASH, communications, and etc. The UNV may be responsible for implementing small-scale innovative evaluation activities at project and activity level and/or provide support to implementing RO-led big-scale evaluations engaging multiple COs. The nature of work is around conceptualization, analysis, interpretation, and problem identification, leading to drawing innovative methodical conclusions and making analytical/operational recommendations. The role will require serving as an active team member or/and act as s substantive contributor. The work requires efforts to build partnerships for engagement with counterparts and immediate partners, i.e. COs and RO colleagues, as well as ability to liaise with knowledge institutions. Performance is measured by the scope of functional/technical areas, professional foundation, the degree and quality of engagement, supportive efforts, exposure to risk, responsiveness, working relations with colleagues and collaborators in the same field of work or clients in the direct contact. The UNV will be responsible for Knowledge Management and contribute to knowledge generation dissemination and use, through varies ways including evaluation synthesis, and identification of results and lessons learned from evaluations. The impact of the UNV’s work will affect the delivery of products/services, as well as the performance of systems, processes, and quality and utility of the evaluation function, especially related to the incorporation of innovative processes and incorporation of data science in evaluation Within the delegated authority and under the supervision of ECA Regional Evaluation Advisor or her designated mandated representative(s), the UNV Evaluation Specialist will deliver the following tasks/duties around four key functions:
- Strategic planning and use Provide technical support to ensure that Country Offices use a strategic and realistic plan of evaluation activities to inform the implementation and design of RO and CO programmes.
- Contribute to and provide technical assistance for the planning and establishing of evaluation activities of country office evaluations.
- Contribute to monitor the effective and timely implementation of planned evaluations and research, Concept Notes submitted to the regional office, and costed evaluation plans.
- Track the reporting of evaluations (including management responses) and research
- Timely support to the RO evaluation section’s reporting of management response actions. Provide assistance in tracking to ensure that management response to the findings and recommendations of the evaluation is completed, recorded and followed up for implementation.
- Contribute to the effective dissemination and sharing of knowledge of findings, conclusions, recommendations and lessons from evaluation to the regional audience to inform strategic planning and implementation.
- Contribute to the elaboration of evaluation syntheses, aggregated lessons learned on key issues related to regional priorities.
- Develop and maintain knowledge management products/systems (including visuals) supporting efficient storage, retrieval and sharing of knowledge and information within the section, region and beyond.
- In humanitarian response situations, provide support to advice on emergency/ humanitarian action evaluations, working in close collaboration with the humanitarian internal partners.
2. Evaluation quality assurance Provide technical support to ensure that recommendations and suggestions from regional quality assurance system is well integrated in evaluations to increase quality of evaluations.
- Provide support and feedback to ensure that UNICEF quality assurance system is effectively integrated in evaluations conducted by RO and COs, and complies with UNICEF Policies, and Procedures, as well as the UNICEF Evaluation Policy and quality criteria of the United Nations Evaluation Group (UNEG), and complied with RO procedures, when necessary seek expertise of knowledge institutions.
- Propose recommendations on the quality assurance system when bottlenecks are in place – and to automatize the processes in the most effective manner.
- Contribute to the effective dissemination and sharing of knowledge regarding the management of evaluations at the country office level, to ensure increased quality of evaluations
3. Evaluation Capacity Building Provide technical support to ensure that the evaluation capacities of Country Office staff are strengthened enabling them to increasingly engage in and lead evaluation processes. In close consultation with the RO evaluation section, contribute to formulation of staff capacity development strategy and plans, and exercise effective leadership in implementing them, ensuring that CO staffs have the basic knowledge and skills to fulfil their evaluation responsibilities, and training is planned and carried out to fill identified gaps.
- Provide support to the RO evaluation section for implementation of capacity building and exchange initiatives within country offices, as well as other developmental partners when applicable.
- Help document and share through the global and the regional evaluation network good practices and lessons learned in evaluation from the region.
- Conduct research on effective evaluation use and develop suggestions on how to operationalize innovative evaluation.
- Provide support to ensure that Country Office staff and national partners are aware of and have access to UNICEF evaluation learning resources.
- Contribute to liaise with knowledge institutions to seek partnerships for the identification of capacity gaps and the development of strategies to address them.
4. Regional, multi-country evaluations Supports the implementation of regional thematic evaluations in areas of regional priority, ensuring the incorporation of an equity focus
- Support the management of regional multi-country evaluations, including facilitation of the design process, maintenance of quality assurance mechanism, facilitation of data collection and feedback processes across participating countries, and making arrangements for report review and finalization.
Any other related tasks as may be required or assigned by the supervisor.
Required education level :Master degree or equivalent in Data science, economics, social sciences, with specialization in evaluation or research methodology, advanced statistical and programming analysis and programme analysis/evaluation and/or planning and programme management.
Note on Covid: Selected candidates are subject to confirmation of fully-vaccinated status against SARS-CoV-2 (Covid-19) with a World Health Organization (WHO)-endorsed vaccine, which must be met prior to taking up the assignment.
3 years of experience in the implementation of government policies, application of data science in research and decision making processes, including planning, implementation, coordination, management of monitoring, evaluation and research
- Professional technical knowledge/expertise in Data Collection and Research
- Understanding of UN Mission and system; and International Code of Conduct.
- Understanding of UNICEF Mission Statement and observance of UNICEF Guiding Principles
- Excellent English oral and written skills; excellent drafting, formulation, reporting skills;
- Accuracy and professionalism in document production and editing;
- Excellent interpersonal skills; culturally and socially sensitive; ability to work inclusively and collaboratively with a range of partners;
Languages : English, Level: Fluent, Required
Nationality :Candidate must be a national or legal resident of the country of assignment.
Age: 27 -80
This assignment’s duty station is Istanbul, Turkiye and relocation is required for the one not living in Istanbul, Turkey. Due to COVID-19 pandemic restrictions, this can be within a month after contracted upon agreement with the hiring manager. The UN Volunteer will be responsible for arranging her/his own housing and other living essentials.
UNV Entitlements in a Nutshell for National UN Volunteers (Specialist):
- Current Volunteer Living Allowance (VLA) is approx 12,390 TRY as of April 2022. This amount is subject to increase in parallel with revision in allowance of local personnel applicable in each year.
- 100% health, life and dismemberment coverage by CIGNA. As per UN’s diplomatic mission status, it is not included in National Security Institution’s (SGK) system but can be initiated on private basis.
- Entitlement to annual Leave at the rate of 2.5 working days per completed month of volunteer assignment
- Entry allowance for covering relocation expenses
- Exit allowance upon completion of service
- Several learning opportunities Unified Conditions of Service is available on UNV's website