Vacancy Notice Number:
Field Security Assistant (SSAFE)
6 months Special Short Term Graded Contract (G6)– with possible extension
Deadline of Applications:
25 October 2021
Number of People to be hired
Internal & External Candidates
Under the overall supervision of the Head of Sub Office ESEM region and direct supervision of the of the Field Security Officer in Turkey, within delegated authority, the incumbent will serve as Security Training Assistant to train the United Nations personnel and INGOs in ESEM region.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide specialized assistance to the security training team in coordination and implementation of daily assigned tasks.
- Assists the Training coordinator in identifying and addressing the security training gaps at the mission and security section level.
- Participate in delivering of modules, lessons and courses as appropriate.
- Participate in reviewing and preparing lesson plans including training in response to emergency crisis situations.
- Use and facilitate use of current training material modules and practical applications.
- Organize all venues, logistics and administrative requirements for the training and learning activities, including coordinating and liaison with the local security authorities.
- Encourage and coordinate participation of all Agencies, Funds, Programmes and Organizations (AFPOs) of the UN system as appropriate and review certification procedures to verify that the appropriate standards for course completion are met.
- Prepares draft security training reports for all learning programmes, in accordance with established procedures, including appropriate recommendations.
- Provide information, technical guidance and support on matters relating to security learning affecting UN personnel mission wide.
- Act as resource person and participate as a facilitator for security training conducted by Agencies, Funds, Programmes and Organizations of the United Nations Security Management System (UNSMS).
- Assist on planning, coordination and delivering of UNDSS standardized programmes of instructions in a mission’s stand-alone team.
- Participate in learning needs assessments and identifies areas for change or modification as required.
- Revising and updating the training modules according to the UNDSS TDS and UNSSC learning and developing policies.
- Perform such other duties as may be required.
- University Degree from Police or Military with four years of relevant experience
- Completed High school degree from an accredited academic institution, with six years of relevant professional experience;
- Experience in humanitarian programmes and capacity-building activities;
- Experience in liaising with governmental and diplomatic authorities as well as with national and international institutions;
- Familiarity with financial and business administration;
- Sound and proven understanding of internal and international relations issues, both globally and sub-region specific;
- Knowledge of the region is an advantage;
- Knowledge in the field of UN Security Management policy, field security procedures and techniques;
- Proven ability to produce reports and papers on security issues;
- Understanding of the UN Security Management System, the DSS training strategy and a proven ability as assistant trainer.
- Experience in the field of training and development within a humanitarian organization is a distinctive advantage;
- Adult learning qualifications highly desirable (SSAFE ToT);
- A first aid training course qualification, or associated paramedic level training is an asset.
- Fluency in English and Turkish is required.
- Working knowledge of Arabic is advantageous.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
Values - all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
- Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
Please be advised that this is a local position and as such only applications from candidates with a valid residence / working permit residing in Turkey will be considered.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates are requested to submit their application including the most recent CV with a cover letter in English with contact details (name, position, phone and e-mail details) of three references by indicating name of the position applied with its VN number in the subject line of the e-mail or to IOM Birlik Mahallesi Sehit Kurbani Akboga Sok. No:24 06610, Çankaya, Ankara Turkey by the end of 25 October 2021.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
With 165 member states, a further 8 states holding observer status and offices in over 100 countries, IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM works to help ensure the orderly and humane management of migration, to promote international cooperation on migration issues, to assist in the search for practical solutions to migration problems and to provide humanitarian assistance to migrants in need, including refugees and internally displaced people.
The IOM Constitution recognizes the link between migration and economic, social and cultural development, as well as to the right of freedom of movement.
- Project Field Coordinator
- Project Assistant (Social Services)
- Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL) Assistant re-advertised
- Communications Assistant (Videographer/Photographer)– re-advertised
- Senior Project Assistant (WASH)
- Project Assistant (Protection) re-advertised
- On-call Enumerator
- On-call Enumerator
- On-call Enumerator
- On-call Interpreter
- Project Assistant (Livelihood) re-advertised