Finance and Administration Officer
Closing Date: September 20, 2019
Location: Istanbul, Turkey
Duration: Full-time Position, 10 to 12-month contract (depending on the timing of recruitment)
Founded in 2004, Building Markets is an award-winning nonprofit that creates jobs and encourages economic growth in crisis-affected countries by connecting competitive local small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) to supply chains and investment. Through this approach, the organization has built a network of more than 23,000 verified SMEs, assisted them in winning over $1.3 billion in contracts, and helped create over 70,000 jobs in countries like Afghanistan, Haiti, Timor-Leste, and Liberia. Building Markets is headquartered in New York City and currently operates programs in Jordan, Myanmar, and Turkey. For more information, please visit www.buildingmarkets.org and https://entrepreneurs.buildingmarkets.org .
The Finance and Administration Officer will report to the Director of Finance and Administration. The Finance and Administration Officer will be responsible for assisting the administration, finance, human resources, and logistical needs of Building Markets in Turkey. This includes ensuring Building Markets’ and its partners are compliant with local rules and regulations as well as donor and organizational policy. The Finance and Administration Officer will assist in developing systems, reporting, and workflows across the Turkey team that support these requirements.
As part of the Finance and Administration role, the incumbent will also serve as the focal point for the team for expenses and per diem calculations, as well as providing regular updates on payments and reports to the Finance/Accounting Department at Headquarters.
Responsibilities and Duties
● Process and prepare financial and business forms for the purpose of checking expense claims, arranging purchase orders, collecting quotations, arranging invoice payments, etc.
● Support team members with their expense claims and purchasing needs
● Perform routine reports and office chores as requested by the Director of Finance and Administration
● Act as a focal point for financial queries and assist Operations Manager in communication with partners and suppliers
● Assist the Director of Finance in creating financial reports, non-staff budgets and projections as required
● Assist with completion of Finance and HR-related documentation, ensure necessary documentation on procurement and HR are completed and
consistent with BM and Donor policies and guidance
● Communicate with suppliers and HQ accounting team in order to maintain healthy accounts reconciliation and payment processes
● Adhere to the organization’s financial policies and procedures
● Answer queries and provide assistance to partners, stakeholders, and employees, as needed
● Attend financial meetings, taking minutes and action notes
● Replace Operations Manager in his/her absence with travel arrangements for the team; hotel bookings, travel arrangements, etc.
● Suggest changes and improvements in order to increase accuracy and efficiency in accounting and administrative processes.
● Assist Director of Finance to conduct internal audit spot-checks to ensure systems and policies are being adhered to and support program implementations;
● Assist with preparation of powerpoint slides for staff training on organizational policies to ensure standardization in implementation and help with regular training sessions.
● Evaluate and report any instances of fraud, corruption or other misuses of funds;
Serve as officer-in-charge in the absence of Operations Manager to:
● Coordinate domestic staff travel requests;
● Manage logistics for staff;
● Schedule meetings;
● Serve as logistical liaison for staff on deployment.
Reports to the Director of Finance and Administration
● Associate's or bachelor's degree in business, finance, accounting, or a related field with at least 3-7 years of experience in finance and
● Extensive experience in Finance and management accounting in Turkey or overseas
● Excellent mathematical and analytical skills
● Excellent attention to detail and ability to work under pressure
● Fluency in English and Turkish (written and spoken)
● Computer skills, particularly with spreadsheets
● Ability to perform multiple tasks and meet critical deadlines, while maintaining accuracy and quality
● Sound understanding of accounting ethics and compliance
● Excellent organizational and time-management skills
● Solid communication skills, both written and verbal;
● Strong integrity; honesty; customer-service skills
● Familiarity with IFRS and accounting principles,
● Experience working with in the private sector in Turkey or in an
● Demonstrated anti-fraud competencies;
● Demonstrated understanding of procurement quality assurance;
● Understanding of data privacy;
● Familiarity with business principles and practices;
● Superior attention to detail;
● Planning skills; problem-solving skills; analytical skills; critical thinking skills.
Possible travel in-country
Salary commensurate with experience
Interested candidates are invited to send a CV/Resume, cover letter, and three professional references no
later than October 14, 2019. The subject line must read “Finance and Administration Officer - Turkey”. Please note Building Markets reserves the right to close this vacancy early if a suitable candidate is found.