TERMS OF REFERENCE
Title : Finance Assistant
Department : Finance
Location : Gaziantep, Türkiye
Reporting to : Senior Finance Officer (SFO)
Direct reports : N/A
Budget responsibility: N/A
ABOUT Relief International.
Relief International (RI) is a leading nonprofit organization working in 16 countries to relieve poverty, ensure well-being and advance dignity. We specialize in fragile settings, responding to natural disasters, humanitarian crises and chronic poverty.
Relief International combines humanitarian and development approaches to provide immediate services while laying the groundwork for long-term impact. Our signature approach — which we call the RI Way—emphasizes local participation, an integration of services, strategic partnerships and a focus on civic skills. In this way, we empower communities to find, design and implement the solutions that work best for them.
RI includes the four corporate members of the RI Alliance: RI-US, RI-UK, MRCA/RI-France and RI-Europe. Under our alliance agreement, we operate as a single, shared management structure.
RI is active in 16 countries around the world, including some of the most fragile: Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Iran, Iraq, Jordan, Lebanon, Myanmar, Pakistan, Philippines, Somalia, South Sudan, Sudan, Syria, Turkey, and Yemen. Often, RI is the only organization providing assistance to highly vulnerable communities.
RI employs 7,000+ staff and auxiliary workers
97% of staff are local nationals
We only have some 90 ex-pat staff out of 7,000+
RI spent $150 million in 2019 on our programs
Often, RI is the only organization providing assistance to highly vulnerable communities.
RI invests in four broad program sectors: Economic Opportunity, Education, Health, and Water, Sanitation and Hygiene. We design our programs to incorporate The RI Way: local participation, integrated programming, the development of civic skills, and complementary partnerships including with local NGOs, governments, and the private sector. RI supports solutions that reinforce and improve upon existing in-country systems. Where such systems do not exist or are chronically underperforming, RI’s crisis response lays the foundation for long-term, sustainable change.
Under the supervision of Senior Finance Officer, the primary responsibilities of the Finance Assistant is to handle RI Türkiye’s cash/bank payments and to assist overall accurate accounting and reporting.
Key Responsibilities and Duties.
1. Supporting accounting procedures and accountability:
• Data entry in NetSuite accounting software
• Ensure proper booking, accounting procedures and principles are followed
• Assist SFO managing all Accounts Receivable/Payable, Prepaid Accounts, and Accruals
• Assist SFO preparing monthly financial reports.
• Ensure proper usage of Balance sheet accounts with regular monthly follow up
• Ensure cash and bank reconciliations are done before closing the month
• Assist SFO managing monthly average exchange rate calculation and following up balances in TL and foreign currency
• Manage monthly reviewing, scanning, and filing activities. Ensure all back up documents are printed, filed and softcopies are stored on cloud folders.
• Prepare summary sheets for monthly withholding tax returns and stamp tax returns.
2. Review of documents submitted for payments and creation of Journal/Payment Vouchers:
• Ensure all backup paperwork is present and accurate for reimbursements and advances
• Support SFO reviewing implementing partners’ financial documents and reports when needed.
• Review all amounts, budget lines, accounts, codes and verify arithmetic accuracy
• Verify documents against RI and donor regulations
• Prepare Journal/Payment Vouchers and submit for approvals
3. Carry out cash/bank management tasks
• Ensure that petty cash funds are always sufficient in both currencies
• Prepare and follow up bank orders.
• Ensure balances of USD and TRY are well planned
• Report daily Cash and Bank balances to the team
• Assist in cash bank withdrawals
• Participate in cash flow plans
4. As this is an Emergency Response programme, at times there will be the requirement to work additional hours and perform other tasks not detailed in this job description
5. Performs any other tasks as requested by the Finance Manager and Senior Finance Officer
- Uphold and promote RI’s commitment to ensuring the safeguarding and safety of the vulnerable communities we serve.
- Consistent with RI’s safeguarding and protection policies, ensure your job-related activity and practice is compliant with safeguarding standards.
For all Manager level and above roles:
- You will ensure a positive and productive work environment which is free from harassment and bullying.
- Ability to demonstrate sensitivity and understanding of diversity and cultural differences, gender issues and the commitment to equal opportunities
Experience and skills required for the role.
No experience is required for this position.
Educated to bachelor’s level in related field such as Accounting, Finance, Business Administration, or other educational background combined with relevant professional experience.
• Native Turkish speaker, fluent in English
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office package, especially Excel and Word
• Strong communication, interpersonal and analytical skills
• Previous experience of finance and accounting in an international INGO
• Previous any accounting software experience
• Experience of working with multiple stakeholders, including local government and taxation authorities
• Ability to work under pressure, independently and with limited supervision
• Ability to work in a dynamic and multi-cultural environment and to multi-task to meet deadlines
• Promotes teamwork, contributes towards building team consensus and acts as a team player
• Consistently approach work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
• Demonstrates ability to identify problems
• Makes recommendations related to work procedures and implementation of management systems
Guided by the humanitarian principles of humanity, neutrality, impartiality, and independence, as well as “Do No Harm,” Relief International Values:
How to Apply.
- In case you meet the requirements and that you are interested in the position, please send your CV and Cover Letter in English in addition to three professional references to provided in email@example.com before March 19, 2023, stating in the subject " Finance Assistant "
Note: Relief International is an equal opportunity employer that does not tolerate discrimination on any basis. We actively seek out diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and skills so that we can be collectively stronger and have sustained global impact.
We are committed to providing an environment of respect and psychological safety where equal employment opportunities are available to all. We do not engage in or tolerate discrimination on the basis of race, color, gender identity, religion, age, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, disability, marital status, or any other protected group in the locations where we work.
If needed, Relief International will submit a work permit application on behalf of the selected candidate after the job offer is accepted - Failure to provide the required documents or rejection of a work permit application by the Government of Türkiye will result in the employment offer being rescinded
Due to limited resources, only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
RI TÜRKİYE CANDIDATE PRIVACY NOTICE
This Privacy Notice was drafted by Relief International Türkiye (“RI Türkiye”) as a data controller in accordance with Article 10 of the Turkish Law No 6698 on the Protection of Personal Data (“Law”) and the Communiqué on the Principles and Procedures in Conforming with the Obligation to Inform.
On the legal bases referred to in Article 5/f processing of data is necessary for the legitimate interests pursued by the data controller, provided that this processing shall not violate the fundamental rights and freedoms of the data subject." RI Türkiye shall process your name-surname, e-mail address, mobile phone, references, and CV/resume personal data for carrying out selection and placement processes for job candidates, and transfer them to third party suppliers through your applications to published RI Türkiye job ads via employment agencies or sending your CV/resume to RI Türkiye directly by wholly or partly automatic means. Additionally, RI Türkiye is going to get in touch with your references assuming that all obligatory information is given, and consents are obtained by your side about sharing their personal data with RI Türkiye.
You may submit your requests to RI Türkiye under Article 11 of the Law concerning the rights of the data subject in accordance with the Communique on the Procedures and Principles of Application to a Data Controller.
For more information please click here.
Relief International is committed to protecting our staff and the communities we work with from abuse and harm including sexual exploitation, sexual abuse and sexual harassment.
All staff are expected to abide by our Code of Conduct.
Recruitment to all roles in Relief International include a criminal records self-declaration, references and other pre-employment checks, which may include police and qualifications checks.