Under the overall supervision of Senior Resource Management Officer and direct supervision of the Resource Management Officer in Istanbul, Turkey, the incumbent will be responsible for providing finance support services to the sub-office in Istanbul. In particular; he/ she will
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Review and verify supporting documents for all payment request submitted to Finance. Ensure correctness of disbursements and adherence to IOM accounting rules and procedures.
- Ascertain that equipment, supplies and services are delivered before any payment is initiated.
- Assist in entering transit service fees on a regular basis and ensure that all income is captured using month end statistics provided by the Operations unit.
- In coordination with Procurement or Operations unit, initiate MIRO to all issued airline tickets, Purchase Order at the end of the month.
- Enter transactions in PRISM with correct GL and apply proper distribution of cost as per WBS provided in the payment request. Check budget in PRISM whenever possible.
- Enter transaction in system using proper t-code, GL and WBS.
- Assist IOM Ankara during monthly closure accounts by ensuring all outstanding Finance issues in Istanbul are cleared.
- Reconcile and review payable/receivable vendor's account and ensure clearing procedure have been made on specific time according to contract or PO. Follow up with outstanding advances.
- Review vendor account and ensure proper coordination to clear outstanding balance at the end of the month.
- Monitor and follow up with procurement department for clearance of outstanding PO before the closure of each month account.
- Coordinate the transmission of supporting documents to Ankara and ensure that copies are retained in Istanbul for audit purposes.
- Participate in improving internal controls systems, the efficiency and timely delivery of finance services in the sub-office.
- Ensure travel claim by the staff are in accordance with IOM travel guidelines and correct DSA rates are used, monthly exchange rate is applied, and proper supporting documentation are provided for each claim.
- Keeps up to date on documents/reports/guidelines that have a bearing on matters related to programme, ensuring compliance with IOM policies and procedures
- Perform other related duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
Education and Experience:
- Secondary Education preferably in Accounting or Commerce.
- Minimum 3 years of experience.
- Knowledge in financial and cash handling task.
- Familiar with excel spreadsheets, word processing and other computer tools.
- Possess strong organizational and communication skills; detail oriented, committed, efficient and flexible.
Fluency in Turkish and English is required.
- Inclusion and respect for diversity:
Shows respect and sensitivity towards gender, culture, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, political conviction and other differences.
• Encourages the inclusion of all team members and stakeholders while demonstrating the ability to work constructively with people with different backgrounds and orientations.
• Promotes the benefits of diversity; values diverse points of view and demonstrate this in daily work and decision making.
• Challenges prejudice, biases and intolerance in the workplace.
- Integrity and transparency:
Upholds and promotes the Standards of Conduct and Unified Staff Regulations and Rules.
• Delivers on commitments; manages the organization’s resources reliably and sustainably.
• Embraces and encourages transparency, balancing this with the need for discretion and confidentiality as appropriate.
• Maintains impartiality and takes prompt action in cases of unprofessional or unethical behaviour.
• Does not abuse one’s position and acts without consideration of personal gain. Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns.
Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter and willingness to improve knowledge and skills.
• Seeks to raise professional standards in self and others through daily work and activities.
• Adapts quickly to change and is decisive and versatile in face of uncertainty.
• Shows self-control and persistence when faced with difficult problems and remains calm in stressful situations.
• Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 1
- Teamwork: Establishes strong relationships with colleagues and partners; relates well to people at all levels.
• Is fully aware of the team purpose, respects and understands individual and collective responsibilities.
• Willingly puts in extra effort without being asked and adopts a "hands-on" approach whenever necessary to achieve team objectives.
• Coordinates own work with that of the team to meet agreed priorities and deadlines.
- Delivering Results:
•Produces quality results and provides quality services to clients.
• Meets goals and timelines for delivery of products or services.
• Manages time and resources efficiently, monitoring progress and making adjustments as necessary.
• Shows understanding of own role and responsibilities in relation to expected results.
- Managing and sharing knowledge:
•Keeps abreast of new developments in own field of competence and creates opportunities for knowledge management initiatives.
• Shares knowledge and learning willingly, and proactively seeks to learn from the experiences of others.
• Puts new learning into practice and draws on diverse sources of ideas and inspiration.
• Contributes to the identification of improvements to work processes and assists in implementing them.
•Accepts personal responsibility for quality and timeliness of work.
• Takes ownership of all responsibilities within own role and honours commitments to others and to the Organization.
• Operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules.
• Accepts and gives constructive criticism; acknowledges and corrects mistakes and apply lessons learned for improvement.
•Presents information using language and sequence of ideas that is easy for recipients to understand.
• Adapts communication to the recipient’s needs, asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication.
• Encourages others to share their views, using active listening to demonstrate openness and to build understanding of different perspectives.
• Listens carefully and genuinely to the views and positions of others; acts on received information.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
Please be advised that this is a local position and as such only applications from candidates with a valid residence / working permit residing in Turkey will be considered.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates are requested to submit their application by indicating name of the position applied with its VN number in the subject line of the e-mail to listed e-mail adress or to IOM Birlik Mahallesi Sehit Kurbani Akboga Sokak No:24 Cankaya, Ankara by the end of 29 August 2019.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
With 165 member states, a further 8 states holding observer status and offices in over 100 countries, IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM works to help ensure the orderly and humane management of migration, to promote international cooperation on migration issues, to assist in the search for practical solutions to migration problems and to provide humanitarian assistance to migrants in need, including refugees and internally displaced people.
The IOM Constitution recognizes the link between migration and economic, social and cultural development, as well as to the right of freedom of movement.
- Senior Project Assistant (Food Distribution)
- Senior Project Assistant
- Senior Project Assistant (Shelter and WASH)
- Project Assistant (CCCM)
- Head of Field - Office
- Facilitator (Educational and Social Activities)
- Graphic Designer
- Senior Emergency Operations Assistant (Shelter/NFI) - Rapid Response
- Logistics Assistant
- Senior Programme Support Assistant (Access)
- Migration Health Nurse (On-Call Basis)