THE HALO TRUST
EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY: HR & ADMIN ASSISTANT, GAZIANTEP, TURKEY (Turkish national position)
Application requirement: covering letter (maximum 2 pages) and CV (maximum 2 pages) emailed to the address above with the reference number and the title on the subject section of the e-mail. The covering letter must explain your compliance against the selection criteria.
Programme: HALO Syria
Work location: Gaziantep, Turkey
Employment duration: 6-month initial contract, renewable
Salary range: $750 - $1,000 per month (gross, including all taxes and social security payments etc)
Benefits: 14 days annual leave, pro rata per month (plus public holidays)
- Applications submitted by: Sun 07 Jun 2020
- Review of applications: Mon 08 – Fri 12 Jun 2020
- Interviews: Mon 15 – Fri 19 Jun 2020
- Start date: no later than 4 weeks after selection
- The HALO Trust is one of the world’s largest international humanitarian Mine Action non-government organisations (NGO). HALO’s international HQ is in the UK. HALO’s focus is to save lives and restore communities threatened by Explosive Remnants of War (ERW), such as landmines, aircraft and cluster bombs, artillery projectiles, rockets and missiles, and improvised explosive devices. HALO was established in Afghanistan in 1988 and now employs over 8,000 staff in 25 countries and territories.
- HALO’s programme in Syria was established in 2016. It is coordinated from a programme office in Amman, Jordan and a sub-office in Gaziantep, Turkey. HALO conducts its project work in Syria through national NGO partners based in Gaziantep. The scope of HALO’s current projects in Syria covers ERW Risk Education, Contamination Impact Survey and Victim Assistance. The size of the Syria programme is currently $3m - $4m per year.
- English is the official language of the programme office, but Arabic and Turkish are also spoken internally and with our NGO partners.
Position and responsibilities
- This is an entry-level job for a person looking to work in the NGO sector in administration/HR roles.
- Supervisor: Finance Officer.
- Subordinates: Nil.
- The main responsibilities are:
- Maintain a file containing job descriptions, staff employment contracts and other relevant documents, based on guidance provided by the Programme Manager or Deputy Programme Manager.
- Provide assistance with staff recruitment (e.g. drafting job descriptions, publishing advertisements of vacancies, consolidating applications etc)
- Maintain the programme office’s staff attendance and leave register.
- Update the programme office’s contact list for all staff.
- Assist in providing induction to new staff and other staff training.
- Maintain the programme office’s equipment/asset register.
- Maintain a list of suppliers used regularly by the programme office.
- Organise staff travel and accommodation in Turkey.
- Provide assistance with programme office logistics, procurement and the payment of invoices.
- Provide assistance on drafting official documents to authorities or other organisations.
- Perform secretary functions in support of meetings and visits (e.g. arrange meetings and visits, and assist with the preparation of meeting minutes).
- Turkish – English translation, as required
5. HALO staff are expected to undertake the following general duties:
- Work within the framework of HALO’s core values, promoting its ethos and mission statement.
- Work towards achieving programme and/or group business plan objectives.
- Ensure familiarity with and adhere to all HALO policies and procedures and keep informed of HALO activities.
- Travel to other countries (e.g. to other HALO programmes), as and when required.
- Discharge duties and responsibilities under HALO’s Health and Safety procedures.
6. This job description is intended to summarise the main duties and responsibilities of the appointment; this is not intended to be a full and exhaustive list of tasks. All HALO staff are expected to demonstrate flexibility and willingness to perform appropriate tasks when the need arises.
- Turkish citizenship.
- Fluent in English and Turkish (written and spoken). Arabic is beneficial but not essential.
- Bachelor’s degree in HR or business administration is beneficial but not essential.
- Proven competency in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Good skills relevant to:
- Literacy, numeracy, attention to detail and accuracy.
- Analytical thinking and problem solving.
- Ability to independently plan, prioritise, conduct work activities in accordance with imposed time constraints.
- Communication and teamwork.
6. Should have a passport
7. Two professional references are required.
THE HALO TRUST
HALO’s programme in Syria was established in 2016. It is coordinated from a programme office in Amman, Jordan and a sub-office in Gaziantep, Turkey. HALO conducts its project work in Syria through national NGO partners based in Gaziantep. The scope of HALO’s current projects in Syria covers ERW Risk Education, Contamination Impact Survey and Victim Assistance. The size of the Syria programme is currently $3m - $4m per year.