General Description of the Programme
GOAL an International Humanitarian Organisation is an international emergency and development NGO dedicated to alleviating the suffering of the poorest and most vulnerable. GOAL was established in 1977 and is currently operational in 13 countries world-wide.
GOAL an International Humanitarian Organisation has had a presence in Turkey since 2013 and has been contributing to the migrant response since 2016 with a focus on responding to needs in health service delivery, social safety nets and the protection of vulnerable and marginalised migrants in southern Turkey.
GOAL has been working in Syria since 2013, responding to the acute needs of conflict-affected communities. GOAL is working in Idleb Governate, both through direct implementation and through partners, delivering food, non-food programming to highly vulnerable populations, and provision of Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) through support to Water units, as well as emergency support to recently displaced households.
The Human Resource Coordinator – Maternity Cover is responsible for overseeing human resources activities across GOALs Syrian Response in Turkey, Syria and Jordan; including recruitment and succession planning, implementation of HR policies and procedures, performance management, staff development and remuneration.
The Human Resource Coordinator – Maternity Cover performs a wide range of duties including (but not limited to):
HR Policies, Procedures and Adherence to Best Practice
- Work closely with GOAL’s “Government Liaison, Legal and HR Advisor”, external lawyers and accountants etc. to ensure GOAL HR is fully compliance with all requirements of Turkish law,
- Work closely with GOAL’s “Jordan Office Manager” and lawyers to ensure GOAL HR is fully compliance with all requirements of Jordanian law,
- Ensure HR policies, procedures, systems, and processes align for all HR functional areas and that programs are in line with GOAL values and principles.
- Provide strategic support to HR team on employee relations and performance management, ensuring that issues are dealt with in a fair and consistent manner. This will include overseeing disciplinary and grievance procedures.
- Work with SMT to optimize, and forward plan, organizational structures for maximum operational efficiency
- Prove technical support and guidance to the HR team.
- Ensure confidentiality is maintained throughout the HR team.
Recruitment Planning and Staff Selection
- Ensure that all recruitment is carried out in line with GOAL policy.
- Ensure that all HR processes are carried out a transparent, timely and efficient manner.
- Work with recruitment staff and supervisors to develop and oversee a recruitment plan, providing hands on support as needed,
- Ensure that employability checks are completed before any job offers are sent,
- Ensure that all new staff receive a good induction into GOAL.
- Work with the HR team to implement an effective and objective performance appraisal system,
- Support, monitor and liaise with all line managers to ensure appraisals are being conducted regularly and appropriately,
- Ensure all managers and supervisors are trained in objective setting and conducting staff appraisals in line with the SOP on performance management.
- Work with SMT to follow-up on all reasonable recommendations from completed appraisals
- Adjust training database to include agreed training requirements, and ensure trainings are conducted within a reasonable timeframe.
Training and Staff Development
- Review organisational training needs and develop a strategy to develop staff capacities in the most efficient way,
- Working with grants and proposal development staff to ensure staff training and development is adequately budgeted for.
- Ensure that a training tracking sheet is maintained to monitor the training identified during appraisals and record all training completed,
- Monitor staff departures from GOAL and report to management on key trends if observed
Compensation and Benefits
- Oversee the processing of timely and accurate monthly payroll for all offices in cooperation with finance and external accountancy companies,
- Follow up Social Security Registrations and SGK Premiums of Staff in line with legal requirements.
- Ensuring that national staff on work trips outside of normal place of work are insured.
Personnel Administration and Documentation
- Coordinate/Compile weekly HR department reports,
- Review the staff database and HR files ensuring the HR team are maintaining to an exacting standard, kept up to date and audit issues addressed.
- Ensure that the HR team are tracking/monitoring and following up leave database, staff probationary periods and timesheets.
- Ensure contract terminations are appropriately documented and ensure all monies are paid to the departing staff member.
- In consultation with line managers, ensure that there is cover for staff going on leave.
- Ensure the timely & accurate processing of new contract, contract extension, staff transfer, promotions and other change of status.
- Manage processes related to disciplinary actions, staff separation, and termination with direct communication with the Legal and HR Advisor.
- Liaise with HR staff and the Legal and HR Advisor on work permits, Social Security registration etc. Ensure that trackers are maintained for this
- Reporting to DHoS on key HR issues.
- Oversee work on HR-related insurance policies.
- Keep track of issues in Turkish, Syrian and Jordanian Labour Law such as the introduction of new policies, taxes, employer responsibilities etc.
- Network with HR Managers from other NGOs to keep informed of HR-related issues.
- Ensure all staff have a valid and current ID card.
- Any other task assigned by the SD/DHoS
- Strong academic background, minimum bachelor degree preferably in Human Resources.
- 5+ years of experience in human resources at management level preferably experience with INGOs and/or NGOs.
- Excellent written and oral skills - Turkish and English,
- Comprehensive knowledge of Turkish Labour Law and practice, including staff terms and conditions, employment contracts and policies, handling of disciplinary and grievance issues, etc.
- High level of discretion and confidentiality
- Ability to communicate and work well with staff at all levels of the organisation,
- Calm, analytical with great diplomatic and communication skills,
- An organised, a self-starter and an enthusiastic team player,
- Proven ability to work to deadlines,
- Proven experience in leading difficult decision making,
- Excellent administration skills and a strong attention to detail,
- Computer literate,
- Written and oral skills in Arabic,
- Previous experience working in an INGO; an understanding of NGO and/or multinational organisations
- Previous experience working with Jordanian Labour Law,
- Outstanding computer skills.
General terms and conditions
GOAL has a Staff Code of Conduct and a Child Protection Policy, which have been developed to ensure the maximum protection of programme participants and children from exploitation. GOAL also has a confidentiality policy ensuring the non-disclosure of any information whatsoever relating to the practices and business of GOAL, acquired in the course of duty, to any other person or organisation without authority, except in the normal execution of duty. Any candidate offered a job with GOAL will be expected to adhere to these policies any job offer made is also subject to police clearance. GOAL is an equal opportunities employer.
This Job Description only serves as a guide for the position available. GOAL reserves the right to change this document. Any published closing dates are estimated. Due to the nature of GOAL’s work we aim to fill vacancies as quickly as possible. This means that we will close adverts as soon as we have found the right candidate and this may be before the published closing date. We would therefore advise interested applicants to submit an application as early as possible.
Interested? Then apply for this position via clicking on the "apply now" button and fill out the application form. All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages). Both must be in English. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Application deadline is 11 February 2019.
GOAL has been working in Syria since 2013, responding to the acute needs of conflict-affected communities. GOAL is working in Idleb Governate, both through direct implementation and through partners, delivering food, non-food programming to highly vulnerable populations, and provision of Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) through support to Water units, as well as emergency support to recently displaced households. GOAL worked in Turkey in 2015-2016 to respond to the Health needs of Syrians in Turkey and will resume programming in Turkey in 2018 with a focus on Protection needs.